My bunions have been cured!!

(10 Posts)
onedayatatime73 Tue 12-Jul-16 09:23:31

I don't normally think to post things like this but I am so happy I thought I would share.

I have had bunions on both feet for the last 6 years or so. Got to the point where is was dreading summer as couldn't wear nice shoes or flip flops anymore.

I read story after story of people who had them treated and were in casts for months, one done at a time and extremely painful.

After much research I found a place down in Brighton where an Austrian surgeon comes over twice a month to do a completely different kind of correction surgery.

I had both feet done at the same time and came out walking.

When I say walking, I mean wearing 'special shoes' with a wire (I couldn't see) inside both feet. It was more like shuffling but I was certainly mobile and able to look after the children at home. I took five days off work and got a taxi there for the following 3 weeks. Went back to have the wires taken out and then was pain free but tender. Was in normal shoes a few weeks later. That was last autumn and on Christmas Day I wore heels (first time in years).

Just thought I would post as am sat in the sunshine wearing flip flops and feel so chuffed I have lovely looking feet again

Hoping this might help someone else who is as miserable as I was about my feet. smile

jetsetlil Thu 14-Jul-16 08:08:30

I have terrible bunions but I'm nowhere near Brighton. I wonder if he does work in any other parts of the U.K. What's the Drs name ?

jetsetlil Thu 14-Jul-16 08:08:57

Oh and how much did it cost ?

confusedandemployed Thu 14-Jul-16 08:10:14

Tell me more! My bunions are diabolical.

Mimosa1 Thu 14-Jul-16 08:12:09

More details please! Would love to have this done.

summersunshineaddict Thu 14-Jul-16 08:19:06

Me too, the pain from mine is awful

onedayatatime73 Thu 14-Jul-16 13:47:49

It's called the European Foot Institute. His name is Dr Nowak. I need to check but think it was about £3000 for both feet? But you can claim on medical insurance if you have that - although need a doctors note referral to confirm they are uncomfortable etc. The think with bunions is they will just get worse and worse anyway.
My feet are now back to the way they used to be. And there's no scar as it's done with micro incision
There's a fb page you can look at as well with lots of pics of people's feet.
It was done under sedation with an anaesthetist who came to the clinic. It was a pretty miserable four weeks wearing the special shoes with the wires in - made me feel like my big toes had heat in them. But it was totally bearable and I was able to go to work after the first week. But I mainly sit at a desk so different if you have an active job. So so pleased I had it done. Let me know if have any more specific questions.

onedayatatime73 Thu 14-Jul-16 13:54:01

I can't find the info but I think it was £3000 for one foot but £4500 for both. So not cheap. But the surgeon pays an anaesthetist and staff to come in on a Saturday (he is only over twice a month a think) so actually if lots of people booked the same day the price might come down? It's a strange little clinic based inside a dental clinic I think. When I first went I really wasn't sure I was doing the right thing because it wasn't the sort of set up I was expecting. But it was brilliant.

feckity Thu 14-Jul-16 13:56:37

What did he actually do?

onedayatatime73 Thu 14-Jul-16 14:55:05

If you look at the website it will explain it much better than I can but my understanding it

He drilled a little hole somewhere
And then using micro surgery (so I wasn't actually cut open) he rotated the actual bunion so it was sitting in a different way. Or something like that. I think he said something like bunions aren't the bones growing larger they are the way they have moved and sort of spread out. He then put a wire in to keep it in that position and then put the foot into a Velcro bandage thing that then kept the big toe away from the others. (. I then bought really big socks to go over them) and then on top you have these special shoes - that look like black sandals with Velcro straps. Not very stylish but much better than I was expecting. At the time my footwear was pretty rubbish anyway as my bunions couldn't fit into nice shoes anymore anyway so I didn't really care.

I went back 4 weeks later to have the wire taken out. I kept the bandages on and shoes in for longer than I needed to because they felt comfier. Then a couple of weeks later wore ugg boots. And not long after I was back at Zumba and then in heels.

Am no expert and someone will know better than I but as I understand it then have version means actually shaving the bone off and then the foot is in a cast for weeks and takes months and months to recover - and can come back. And is painful. So this seemed a much better / quicker option.

I hope that makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now