Please help me to find a decent shampoo for fine oily hair!!

(10 Posts)
TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 10-Jul-16 18:20:13

I have been trying for decades to find a shampoo that will suit my hair type.

Basically it is quite fine though there's lots of it, but I have a problem with oily roots and dry ends. I have tried everything from Alberto at £1 a pop right up to Kerastase and Redken. I want something that will add body but won't leave me needing to rewash after 24 hours, as most of the volumising products seem to do.

The last thing I tried was that Elvive clay one that's suppose to dry out the roots and nourish the ends - half a bottle in and I had dry ends and oily roots confused!

Anyone have any suggestions? My style is a shortish bob if that's helpful.

PieceOfTheMoon Sun 10-Jul-16 18:26:23

Your hair sound similar to mine and I have spent years trying different shampoos. I now use Lee Stafford Big Fat Hair shampoo and conditioner - it's amazing! I used to have to wash my hair every 1-2 days, now I only have to wash it once or twice a week. It's not dry, not oily and feels much thicker. It's a bit pricy, but Boots often have it on 3 for 2.

AlfrescoBalconyWanker Sun 10-Jul-16 18:29:52

I've been using the Aussie Mega - shine I think. Gets it all squeaky. Or look at the Lush shampoo bars.

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 10-Jul-16 21:12:49

Thanks - not tried Lee Stafford or Lush so will give them a go. The idea of only washing my hair twice a week is anazing!

The Aussie stuff has the same effect on me as the Elvive - dry all over but oily at the roots sad

ladylambkin Sun 10-Jul-16 21:14:01

Alberto Balsam Raspberry one is only thing my daughter can use to avoid the greasy look

evelynj Sun 10-Jul-16 21:57:42

Weirdly the body shop ginger shampoo for dry scalps is the first that's been any use to me with the same problem, (but without the benefit of lots of it!). My hair used to look greasy on day 2 but now is OK on day 3 & will do with a little dry shampoo on day 4.

Washing less helps, don't scrub the scalp lots, just use conditioner on the ends & not too hot water-a cold rinse at the end of u can

OttoTheOnly Sun 10-Jul-16 22:14:03

I have similar sounding hair op, and also found the clay shampoo made it worse.
The only thing I've found that works well is Aveda rosemary and mint. Gives body to my fine hair, doesn't make the roots greasy, and the ends are nourished.

Misty9 Sun 10-Jul-16 22:19:11

I've got similar sounding hair type and have found tresemme for coloured hair is pretty good, along with a hair masque every couple of weeks.

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 10-Jul-16 22:46:36

This is all super-helpful, thanks everyone.

I think I'm going shopping in the morning grin

evelynj Sun 10-Jul-16 23:07:53

Ooh might try the aveda stuff next....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now