Dress me please!

(12 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Sun 10-Jul-16 09:02:25

To cut a long ramble about my current state of mind and feelings, I have been to several events recently that have led me to feel I need a makeover. I'm 29 and I currently dress like a teenage boy. I'd like to look like a woman who has teenage children and is a grown up! At the moment I only own comic book/movie t-shirts, skinny jeans and checkered shirts to wear open over my t-shirts. I wear converse everywhere and have a collection of oversized woolly jumpers for winter. blush

Stats,

Hourglass 38/28/38 (H/W/B)
I don't like showing my upper arms but my legs are ok.
I prefer high waisted but am flexible.

I have a couple of hundred to spend on a range of clothes, I prefer online and I'd prefer to use my next or h&m account.

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 10-Jul-16 09:04:31

I forgot to say, I've breastfed 4 children for a number of years and I have ample norks that require full scaffolding to stop them hitting my hips. blushblushblush

margaritasbythesea Sun 10-Jul-16 09:10:08

Hello Titsina smile

How about starting in your comfort zone with jeans, swapping the cons for coloured ballet flats,a colour of fitted t-shirt with a lower neckline and a utility of biker jacket. Perhaps a big scarf. Pinterest us good for ideas.look for something like 'casual outfit'

Blazer with jeans can be good too. The important thing us getting the colours and neckline right.

The clothes are not wonderful but I have found the Kettlewell website much more helpful than most colour analysis sites for working out colour schemes.

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 10-Jul-16 09:33:11

Thanks for replying, I find ballet flats really comfortable so I will get a few pairs in various colours. I hadn't thought of a biker jacket! I do own loads of lovely scarfs but I never wear them, mainly due to not knowing how!

I am only 5ft and I really struggle to dress for my shape, I love bright colours but end up in grey/black/blue so I don't get it wrong, I'd love to maybe wear a skirt occasionally but I don't know what's right for my shape.

MadSprocker Sun 10-Jul-16 10:32:39

I personally hate the term, but it sounds like you have a 'tomboy' style. Put that search term into Pinterest, and you will get lots of ideas.

Have you thought about brogues? You can get them in different styles and colours and they will smarten up your outfit.

One of the styles I saw on Pinterest was a chambray shirt tucked into tan chino shorts with brogues and it looked fab.

With an hourglass figure, the key is to be fitted, otherwise you run the risk of looking bigger than you are.

Skirt wise, try a jersey pencil skirt, with one of your t-shirts tucked in.

margaritasbythesea Sun 10-Jul-16 11:24:44

If you find brogues too clumpy try penny loafers. You do have to pick and choose between them. I love brogues but don't suit them at all.

Dorothy Perkins is a great place to try out a tube skirt. I bought one for £12 there recently and its great.

margaritasbythesea Sun 10-Jul-16 11:26:33

P.s I wear mine with a soft loose t-shirt slightly tucked in and flats.

Tried ankle boots? Look up Dune Penelope. I like.

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 10-Jul-16 11:35:53

Thanks for all the ideas, I have never worn brogues I'll have to try a pair on.

The kids school are having a clothes donation to raise money so I have taken the opportunity to clear my clothes out and have removed 3 large bin bags full of t-shirts and tatty oversized jumpers and jeans out.

I guess I am a bit of a tomboy but I think that's because I'm scared of looking a fool, I'd love to wear something more feminine yet casual and be able to pull it off.

MadSprocker Sun 10-Jul-16 11:49:27

Try a broderie anglaise top (white cotton with little holes making a pattern) lots around and more feminine than a t shirt.

margaritasbythesea Sun 10-Jul-16 12:19:30

many of these very doable

This was a very general search and I'm not suggesting a particular one but none too scary.

Boden basic t'shirts usually v.good for something more fitted. For looser ones. Mango also good but you have to search a bit. Hush too.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 10-Jul-16 13:48:43

Lindy bop are currently doing a sale.

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 10-Jul-16 14:30:53

I bought a lindybop dress for my sisters wedding and felt beautiful, then I purchased another in a different style and looked like a sack of spuds in it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now