Is there a better way men could dress for weddings?

(12 Posts)
JackieAndHyde4eva Thu 07-Jul-16 23:28:53

Lighthearted- bit of creative play- let your imagination go wild.

I was browsing through a friend's photos of a wedding on FB and the women were all wearing beautiful shapes and colours and styles of dresses. There wasnt one I could find that was unflattering.

The men: all samey same dark trousers, too tight shirt (even on the thin men!), skinny tie and either black or awful with everything tan shoes. Many of the men had a large belly over hanging their ill fitting trousers and one guy was wearing a massive shirt (the only one- the rest were all far too tight)

It got me thinking that the shirt/tie and trousers 'uniform' just isnt the most flattering choice for most men.

But what is or could be if men didnt feel so restricted in their choices?

Do you know any men that really carry off an occasion outfit?

OlennasWimple Thu 07-Jul-16 23:31:01

Morning dress makes the majority of men look taller and slimmer

Black tie makes the majority of men look five times more attractive than usual

The hipster uniform of trousers, checked shirt and unbuttoned waistcoat makes most men look ridiculous

OliviaShoo Thu 07-Jul-16 23:31:15

There's always one or two,but all the weddings/parties I've ever been to, the guys have been very dapper and swish!

NapQueen Thu 07-Jul-16 23:33:18

A well fitting suit and shirt will flatter most men and look much better than the usual check shirt trouser combo.

Personally my dh looks best in his grey dress trousers, matching waistcoat and his shirt sleeves rolled to mid fore arm. Tie or not. Black shoes. However all these items fit him perfectly.

JackieAndHyde4eva Thu 07-Jul-16 23:36:48

The hipster uniform of trousers, checked shirt and unbuttoned waistcoat makes most men look ridiculous

Yes!!

I think its the waistcoats (buttoned as in morning dress) and buttoned blazer that is key here. It hides the whole stomach and the meeting of waistband and shirt. Morning dress is very dapper i agree. I think I have only ever seen it at one wedding i've attended. Maybe its my area that is the issue? grin

JackieAndHyde4eva Thu 07-Jul-16 23:38:42

However all these items fit him perfectly.

Yep, thats it too. Every man (bar one!) in the photos i saw tonight was wearing a far too tight shirt.

And skinny ties are just awful.

BackforGood Thu 07-Jul-16 23:40:17

Im quite surprised too - I nearly always think the vast majority of men look mighty fine in their wedding suits.

JackieAndHyde4eva Thu 07-Jul-16 23:43:41

Its clearly just my area then!! blush

JackieAndHyde4eva Thu 07-Jul-16 23:44:27

Also should clarify, i meant the guests too, not just groom and groomsmen.

BackforGood Thu 07-Jul-16 23:52:44

I mean the guests.

YerAWizardHarry Thu 07-Jul-16 23:54:27

I'm Scottish and everyone wears kilts which I think are very smart

JackieAndHyde4eva Fri 08-Jul-16 00:03:33

Ive seen some fabulous kilt outfits. And some quite meh. I think they can be hit and miss too. I suspect thats down to fit and a waistcoat too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now