How to tie an easy ballerina bun

(11 Posts)
CeeBeeBee Thu 07-Jul-16 16:29:04

I can do one on myself easily but dd needs to be able to do this on her own very short hair for ballet with a hair net and pins.

She has been shown how to do it but for some reason still can't get it right and l tried myself and once I try to twist the pony tail, it won't stay in a neat knot shape. Can some kind mner please take pity on this incompetent person (me) and show me the secret of doing a bun on short hair. Thank you in advance. Oh, and no faffing around with gel or hair spray.

imsorryiasked Thu 07-Jul-16 17:06:44

How short, and what type of hair (thick / fine - curly / straight)?

Tanaqui Thu 07-Jul-16 17:10:33

Ponytail on top of head, secured with band.

Small doughnut over base of pony

Spread any remaining hair over doughnut.

Second hair band goes over the top, securing hair over doughnut.

Net over the top of it all!

CurlsLDN Thu 07-Jul-16 17:12:09

I was going to say use a doughnut too! Get one in boots or Claire's accessories, v easy to use

Doilooklikeatourist Thu 07-Jul-16 17:14:56

Pony tail
Twist it round and pin ( old fashioned hair pins )
Put net over your hand and double it over
Put over bun
Add more hair pins
You do need gel though, to keep everything in place

SorrelForbes Thu 07-Jul-16 17:20:24

Yep, exactly as tourist says above. Don't use a donut, they don't give the proper ballet bum look.

SorrelForbes Thu 07-Jul-16 17:20:42

*bun!

Cherylene Thu 07-Jul-16 17:29:21

High pony tail.

Twist hair tightly and wrap round.

Hold it tightly whilst you stick a hair net over and double or treble it whatever (sometimes you can find bun nets that are smaller for a small bun.

Pin it round the edge of the bun and net.

Spray.

CeeBeeBee Thu 07-Jul-16 17:42:01

Back from ballet. I'm sorry, Dd has short chin length bob hair. I think the reason it didn't work today was because she washed it last night, so no grip. I thought about the doughnut but would they work with hair that short?
Dd's teacher redid it today as it was falling apart. She says to split the pony tail in two and wrap it round the base.

Balletgirlmum Thu 07-Jul-16 17:46:31

Without gel on short hair Id say impossible.

Tanaqui Fri 08-Jul-16 15:39:09

Short hair is why I suggested the doughnut! Otherwise there is nothing to make a bun from. Chin length might work if it's fairly thick though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now