Lanacane anti chafing gel as a primer?

(16 Posts)
ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 07-Jul-16 15:39:38

I've seen a few claims that this is a wonder product when used as a primer. As good as Smashbox but a fraction of the price.
Does anyone use it? Is it suitable for quite oily skin to stop shine?
Thank you!

Bails2014 Thu 07-Jul-16 15:42:17

No idea but hopefully it smells better than normal lanacaine!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 07-Jul-16 16:26:30

Oh dear, I don't want to smear something stinky on my face. sad
There were a couple of reviews on Amazon claiming it works as an amazing primer.
Hopefully someone's tried it....?

cheeseandmarmite15 Thu 07-Jul-16 16:31:17

It did nothing for me. It sank in and didn't act in any way as s primer but did make skin feel silky smooth!

I used it on my legs to just make them feel silky rather than chuck it !

alltouchedout Thu 07-Jul-16 17:36:10

It works for me (oily skin, really big pores). Actually better than smashbox. It doesn't seem to smell of anything.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 07-Jul-16 17:51:06

Thanks for the replies. I tempted to try it as it's quite cheap and could always use it for silky legs like Cheeseandmarmite if it's no good. smile

Did you buy the gel alltouchedout? and do you wear it under foundation or on its own?

XiCi Thu 07-Jul-16 18:13:44

It's the gel that you need. I have oily skin and thought it was awful. Like an oil slick on the face and my make up just slid straight off. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative a make up artist recommended aloe vera gel as a primer. It works really well, controls shine and has the added benefit of no silicones, chemicals etc

alltouchedout Thu 07-Jul-16 18:17:11

Yes, the anti chafing gel. I wear it under founation. TBH it doesn't seem to like some founations as much as others. If ds3 ever gets off me and I can go up and remind myself of the names ill come back and tell you which worked well and which didn't.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 07-Jul-16 18:47:19

Thanks for the tips. Am a bit put off by the oil slick on the face comment as that's what I'm trying to avoid.
Aloe vera gel might be a contender.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 07-Jul-16 18:48:39

I tried it. It was shit and I got a few spots.

XiCi Thu 07-Jul-16 19:17:53

Yes, you really should be careful if you are prone to acne at all. It works as a primer because it has silicones in which alot of people find is a trigger for their acne

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-Jul-16 19:23:33

It gave me spots. I use it when I'm wearing tight shoes now.

SirChenjin Thu 07-Jul-16 19:27:19

I used it - thought it was great and didn't feel oily at all. I guess it depends on your skin type?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 07-Jul-16 19:27:34

Oh how disappointing, I thought I was on to something good.
If there's a chance it will give me spots I won't be touching it with a bargepole.

Drogon Thu 07-Jul-16 19:38:54

I use it. I've noticed a slight reduction in oil, but by lunch I still need to top up my powder. And I use good matte foundation, oil slick setting spray and a mattifying powder.

I'm starting to think I should just give in to my oily skin and stop wearing make up all together (although if I don't wear makeup the oil from my eyelids makes my eyes sting like hell!)

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 08-Jul-16 16:24:30

I ditched the idea of anti chafing gel but found a brilliant primer in Boots, No 7 pore minimising primer. I would highly recommend it for anyone with oily skin wanting to avoid the shiny face look.
The only drawback is the price £16.50. shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now