modest fashion thread anyone?

(11 Posts)
Pendu Wed 06-Jul-16 18:59:08

For mainly I guess religious reasons I stay somewhat covered (full legs and at least t shirt length sleeves and no cleavage) and I am finding it Abit drab and boring at the best of times. Today I whacked on an old dress and jeans but it looks so cliché and especially now I've finished college (I had to dress practical), I want to instil abit of style....
Anyone have any tips? Anyone in a similar position and want a thread ? smile

MyShinyThing Wed 06-Jul-16 19:04:15

Have you tried looking at the women's fashion on Pinterest? There are loads of beautiful ideas on there if you do a search for modest fashion. I find a lot of them tend to be American so you might not find specific items but lots of inspiration.

I don't have any religious reason for covering up more but find I just prefer the style. Especially in the summer as I burn appallingly with any exposed skin even if I'm covered in factor 50!

Pendu Wed 06-Jul-16 22:01:13

I don't really know how to use Pinterest but I'll sure have a look!
It's just getting complex especially when I want to look smart/office ish because I just don't really like trouser suits but I can't shove jeans and leggings under everything blush

habibihabibi Thu 07-Jul-16 01:13:19

For inspiration google, annah hariri. The collections are sold in Harrods, so pricey but beautiful.
For cheaper basics and fresh looks try RIVA.
I buy RIVA for work ( in Qatar) . The quality is great and clothes are really versatile.

Pendu Thu 07-Jul-16 07:07:30

They both look great but are mostly dresses which we don't really wear sad I love the lung jackets though - I might team them with wide leg trousers ...?

DianaT1969 Thu 07-Jul-16 08:16:29

Hi Pendu, forgive me for hijacking a style thread, but I've been curious about modest dressing for religion. If there were no men in the world (imagine them all extinct a Obviously I don't wish that on them!)!how would you dress? What would be your ideal outfits? I like the Hush look of girlfriend jeans, t-shits and cropped jackets. I'm sure I wouldn't change if there were no men in the world. I wondered about women who cover.

habibihabibi Thu 07-Jul-16 08:26:07

I get Riva joggers or skinny trousers which come in an array of colours and team with their maxi tunics and long coatigans .I have a chiffon open abaya from Riva which gets lots of compliments. I work in the design/creative industry and there are some ladies really rocking modest dress at my work .

familyfarm Thu 07-Jul-16 08:28:07

Uniqlo have released a new modest collection, might be worthwhile checking that out

DianaT1969 Thu 07-Jul-16 08:40:11

I just realised my question might appear insensitive as it's a religious choice. Definitely not intended. I only wonder if I'd wear heels and cover my flabby arms if there were no men in the world! Was just extending that thought.

Pendu Thu 07-Jul-16 10:49:04

It's personal - I don't feel comfy even Infront of women too bare (for myself , not because of them) but the main religious reason is the fact in my religion we don't remove body hair and I feel more comfortable having my legs and under arms covered , however I do wear a swimsuit with a skirt or loose trousers on the beach if I'm messing around in the sea. My upper arms are like a lapsed body builder too and as I'm quite busty I don't think for me it's a good look having them bobbing around grin

Dripdrop Thu 07-Jul-16 17:47:43

This is an interesting thread about modest fashion I was reading the other day www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/4eb4e5/guide_for_modest_summer_fashion/?ref=search_posts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now