I think I just really like cheap clothes!

(17 Posts)
Jmangel Wed 06-Jul-16 18:16:20

So the appalling weather led me to realise that my wardrobe is lacking in pale summery shades of fine knit linen style jumpers. I either have full on summer strappy tops or heavy dark jumpers, neither of which are suitable for this meh weather.
So I thought I would treat myself to a couple of jumpers from more high end shops so ordered one each from Hush and Mint Velvet. Quite unimpressed when they arrived and just hung all wrong on me - must point out I'm 5ft 3 and slim. For the price, I was expecting a lot more in terms of them looking that bit different and high quality.
Back to the drawing board. Anyway, just received 3 jumpers from Boohoo sale today and I love them! Exactly what I was looking for, a bit asymmetric and with the odd zip or piece of lace here and there and they cost £36 all in vs £118 for the two from Hush and MV.
The thing is I'm 44 so feel like I should be moving up to more expensive age appropriate brands. Always find myself drawn to Boohoo, Misguided!, H&M and my latest obsession is She Inside which frankly is pure teenage fodder!
Anyone else feel like the cheaper brands are more edgy and fit better? Obviously my bank balance isn't complaining.

BlueEyedWonder Wed 06-Jul-16 18:23:02

Sadly not. I seem to be drawn to all things expensive grin

polyhymnia Wed 06-Jul-16 18:28:41

Me too. Though I'm sure if you're super slim things look better on you anyway.

Toffeelatteplease Wed 06-Jul-16 18:31:34

I totally agree with you.

I think the thinner you are the easier it becomes to get away with cheap clothes.

Currently loving 3 h&m skirts that cost less than £20 total after having lost over 2.5 stone. My old skirts cost over £25 each

mumsnit Wed 06-Jul-16 18:32:18

I also don't get the love for some expensive labels! Am the same height as you OP so I wonder if it is that some labels don't do 'petite' very well! I often find that the arms are way too long and things look shapeless on me.

Next and M&Co fit me the best and I get the most compliments on my clothes from there!

Floisme Wed 06-Jul-16 18:37:11

I don't rate all the cheap brands - some of the fabrics are awful. But the older I get, the more I love H&M. I mix it with bits from Whistles and sometimes even I can't tell which is which.

Hush and Mint Velvet are particularly poor.

CoolToned Wed 06-Jul-16 21:00:26

Count me in. Aussie teen brands Dotti, ForeverNew and Japanese brand Uniqlo have my heart. I'm almost 38.

trinity0097 Wed 06-Jul-16 21:20:15

I always get compliments wearing Asda and Sainsburys dresses. I am banned from telling people how much they didn't cost!!

Naicecuppatea Wed 06-Jul-16 22:02:57

I am also 5ft 3. Can you link the jumpers you got please?

ItGoesWithoutSaying Thu 07-Jul-16 10:22:12

That's me too. Like being able to have lots of clothes so buy from the cheaper places like H&M and New Look.

Not seen the SheInside. Off to order something "age inappropriate!" grin

DataColour Thu 07-Jul-16 11:18:56

Same here, I'm 5 2'. Most of my wardrobe is Topshop . I have tried Boden, Hush and even the smallest sizes are too big most of the time, and make me look 10yrs older.

Hopefully Thu 07-Jul-16 11:18:57

I generally like more expensive stuff, but I am a massive fan of H&M and seem to buy more and more there as I get older, particularly as quality at lots of the mid-range shops seems to be very indifferent, so i'd rather pay £7.99 for average quality than £50!

RhodaBull Thu 07-Jul-16 11:30:55

Me too!

The more expensive the brand, the more vanity sizing goes on so an 8 is like a size 18. The shoulders are hulk-like, the arms gibbon-length and the length from should to waist far too big so that it balloons out the back. And as for trousers... who are these people who have 7ft long tube-like legs and great big waists?

I keep reading that one has to go for "quality" when one is older, but as long as one chooses carefully, there are classic items to be found in Asda, Tesco, H&M - I find Tu clothing too big and Primark's fabric is often a bit yucky. Tesco jeans rule, though - legs just right (petite always too short) and a waist that goes in .

KoalaDownUnder Thu 07-Jul-16 11:41:01

I loved H&M when I lived in London (nearly 10 years ago, tbf).

They just opened one in Perth and I dragged my friend up there, and we were both confusedsad. It was crap quality, ugly fabrics and not particularly cheap.

Not sure if it's H&M going downhill or me getting old (probably the latter).

I love overpriced shite like Country Road now. Wish I didn't!

KoalaDownUnder Thu 07-Jul-16 11:41:26

I have loved a bit of Zara, though.

AmberNectarine Thu 07-Jul-16 20:31:32

Agree that when you're slim you can get away with more. I went from 10 to 6/8 a year or so ago and wear a lot more Topshop now.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Thu 07-Jul-16 23:26:07

I don't know if I'm just afraid of spoiling it more if I have something that costs a fair amount, but I always feel constrained, like the clothes are wearing me rather than the other way round. In cheap bits (even very carefully selected Primarni and market stall) I swish round full of confidence and get loads of compliments.And yes I tend to choose slightly quirky, unfinished seams are one of my favourites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now