Men's Sun Hats! Are they all awful?

(24 Posts)
YesAnastasia Sun 03-Jul-16 13:40:30

DH is bald and we're going on holiday somewhere hot.

He isn't a bit cool so doesn't suit a cap, looks so ridiculous in those bucket type hats because he pulls it down too low & looks like an idiot. He can't pull off a straw hat or anything trendy (or can he?) so I'm lost.

FIL wears this massive leather cowboy style hat with strings that hang down under his chin - DH is threatening to get one, eeeeek.

Help me please.

specialsubject Sun 03-Jul-16 14:49:24

Hats look ridiculous on most people. Skin cancer or sunstroke looks worse.

Define 'cool' ?

YesAnastasia Sun 03-Jul-16 14:57:49

He is on the Autistic Spectrum & he is the opposite of vain. He does not care one jot about how he looks, you should see the sandals he has.

I let most of go (because I don't care, he's handsome & I think it's cute sometimes) but really feel like it's my responsibility to stop him going out looking like he's in fancy dress.

When I mean 'cool' or 'trendy' I just mean that he doesn't have a particular style that a hat goes with (sporty or jaunty panama etc).

specialsubject Sun 03-Jul-16 15:01:03

Sounds a great guy - who wants a high maintenance preener?

Why can't he wear a cap? They don't protect the neck though.

In a world where ripped jeans, fugly staggering heels and dressing like a floral sofa at weddings are acceptable, he's not the one that will look a joke.

LifeIsGoodish Sun 03-Jul-16 16:14:12

http://www.tilley.com/uk_en/ Tilley hats] look good on everyone.

They really are as robust as the marketing makes out. I'm a total convert. I have two different ones myself.

JohnCheese Sun 03-Jul-16 16:24:26

No, there is no such thing as a cool hat for most men imo. And yes, skin cancer is far worse. Some men <stare at H> think they look amazing in any old shitty hat. When they don't.

Anyway, my compromise was to buy H a real Panama hat. With its own balsa box. It's an alright compromise. He ain't ever gonna be India Jones but he'll pass.

Cockadoodledooo Sun 03-Jul-16 16:27:20

Dh wears a Panama in summer. He wears it with pretty much anything, no particular style. Same as he does with his fedora in winter.

hazeyjane Sun 03-Jul-16 16:29:00

Baseball caps look OK on everyone IMO.

Dh works outside he wears a baseball cap and a cotton shirt or polo shirt with the collar flipped up (and copious amount ts of P20)

Cockadoodledooo Sun 03-Jul-16 16:30:15

Just seen your comment JohnCheese - we were out one day and dh was in his fedora. Small boy says to his dad in wonderment "Look Daddy, it's Indiander Jones!!". Dh was well chuffed grin

Dp has just bought a sort of army-esque cap thing. He looks terrible in panamas and fedoras, but can get away with a cap.

AcrossthePond55 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:37:27

My DH definitely does not have a 'hat worthy' head. He wears a god awful hat that looks like a baseball hat with a curtain sewed to the back.

But after a few skin cancer scares and freezing of precancerous spots I don't care if he wears a bucket on his head.

AcrossthePond55 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:39:57

http://m.duluthtrading.com/store/product/armachillo-sun-cape-cap-50806.aspx?&wpc=KHA&tall=N&src=T13WFSHP3&admkt=&gclid=CLLKtqjQ180CFQmQaQodVLEAbw

LifeIsGoodish Sun 03-Jul-16 16:46:52

Curtain hats look naff, but look way better than skin cancer. They're good for people who have their heads down a lot, eg a gardener, as they do protect the back of the neck. Disadvantage is that they do not protect the cheeks or eyes. Also no air circulation around the neck, so can get quite hot. A brimmed hat protects from all around, while letting the breeze cool you down. And keeps the rain off, too.

BikeRunSki Sun 03-Jul-16 16:52:38

Curtain hats?

DH is bald on top and wears a baseball cap most of the time, Orc Tilley hat on very sunny days.

I wear a roll-up Panama.

TheGoodEnoughWife Sun 03-Jul-16 16:58:54

I second (third?) a Tilley hat. My dh has one and it looks good. I am feeling like I would like one too!
(I really like the 'buy once' philosophy although that comes at a cost)

Trumpton Sun 03-Jul-16 17:08:43

DH wears a Panama . He said he felt stupid in at at first but as it got a bit battered he felt less conspicuous . Now he has two ,a smart one and a battered one.

One is a fold up one with a box ,the other a standard one .

But I do hate floppy fabric hats on grown men and really dislike baseball hats .

Footle Sun 03-Jul-16 17:20:59

Tilley.

Jeremysfavouriteaunt Sun 03-Jul-16 17:24:58

My dh has a Panama, I think it looks better than a baseball cap on a middle aged man.

YesAnastasia Sun 03-Jul-16 17:38:52

Sorry but absolutely no to the Tilley hat - way too similar to FIL's thing plus there's no way on earth he'd pay that for a hat, I told you, he doesn't care. He'll balk at £5 I just know it because he got a velour cap free from an event (with some computer logo on) once & he suggested that one!! FFS man, seriously?

I think I'll get him a fedora & bash it up a bit. He could try a straw one too, perhaps he could pull it off if I messed that up a bit - good call Trumpton and others that said Panama.

JohnCheese Sun 03-Jul-16 18:42:48

grin Cockadoodle. H will love that story.

H also has a Stetson (bought before I was around, yes, aeons ago) and he thinks it is the coolest thing on earth and hence makes him the coolest thing on earth. I despair sometimes. I really do.

Chewbecca Sun 03-Jul-16 19:02:16

DH usually gets a straw hat from fat face to protect his bare bonce from the sun, they look fine.

ilovecherries Sun 03-Jul-16 19:33:05

My husband has been bald since 20, and despite decades of me nagging him about hats (which he ignored) had to have a pre-malignant lesion removed from his scalp two years ago. He now wears a Tilley hat and I find it strangely sexy. If it's not actively sunny, he wears a Nike running hat with sunscreen on his ears and neck. But as soon as the sun comes out, it's on with the brimmed hat. He got a serious fright and was VERY lucky.

LifeIsGoodish Sun 03-Jul-16 21:25:24

Dh returned from Cub Camp an hour ago (he's a Leader) in his rumpled uniform and Tilley hat, smelling all smokey...oh yes, there's definitely something sexy about the right hat on the right man. I never found his Scouting uniform a turn-on before the hat!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 03-Jul-16 21:48:26

I was just going to suggest a Tilley hat, but a PP has beat me to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now