What's your favourite item of clothing?

(18 Posts)
BikeRunSki Sat 02-Jul-16 20:39:37

On Tuesday I was asked if I could go to a black tie do on Friday (last night) - an industry awards dinner. No time to shop (or slim!) - but no panic - I have my lovely old faithful dress. It has taken me to about 10 black ties over the last 14 years I've had it!

It's black chiffon, with at nude satin underdress. It's cut in narrow herringbone panels, so the seams make a chevron pattern, and it's cut on the bias so it hangs beautifully and can accommodate a dress size up or a dress size down. It is structurally sleeveless, but has little chiffon "angel" caps on the shoulders (I think that's how to describe them). The hem is pointed at the front and back, so that is is just below knee length at the sides, and almost floor length in the centre (Front and back). It dips low enough at the front not to be too stuffy, but equally not to be too revealing. The back is sightly dipped too.

I love it, it just always works and always has. It's classically classy enough to never look dated. I first wore in in my early 30s - still works in my mid 40s! And I almost didn't get it. I was in London for a meeting and got into town earlier than anticipated so I thought I'd walk. It was the end of January and the shops had the dregs of their sales in the windows. I was walking down Regent Street and saw it in the window of Viyella. it caught my eye, but I dismissed it as an old lady shop. Went it anyway to check the price anyway. £50 reduced from £200. Decided I didn't have time to try it on. Coming back that way a few hours later I went in again. 1 dress left, my size, now reduced to £40. Tried it on, bought it and just made it back to Kings Cross for my train!

I wear it with black velvet/silver trim Mary Jane heels I got in the Sainsbury's sale for £4!

I have tried to replace both the dress and the shoes a few times - but have never found anything more suitable or more "me". (or that fits my wide size 8 feet).

Man, I love that dress.

RonSwansonsBestFriend Sat 02-Jul-16 22:15:19

Pic?

I have a very old blouse, I bought it when my youngest was v small. It's hard to describe but I feel lovely in it and always get compliments. It's really simple and not much on the hanger but there's something about it. I'll never part with it.

BikeRunSki Sat 02-Jul-16 22:25:19

Difficult to photograph, doesn't look much on the hanger as its bias cut. I've done my best, but I'm not sure it does it justice.

RonSwansonsBestFriend Sat 02-Jul-16 22:26:34

It is lovely and you did such a great, descriptive explanation of the dress, it is exactly how I pictured it!

BikeRunSki Sat 02-Jul-16 22:28:19

Thank you - can you go back to 1987 and tell my English teacher!?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sat 02-Jul-16 23:02:53

I chop and change a lot. Currently my favourite thing is a pair of jeans I got from Lidl of all places. They are boyfriend style - because I was a size 18 I found looser fit jeans were just hugely voluminous but these are cut closer to the leg and higher in the waist. Just right for me.

I bought four pairs shock in sizes
18, 16, 14, and 12. Because they are European they are less vanity sized than any of my other clothes.

I have slimmed into the 16 smile can't wait to get to the 14!

daisychain01 Sun 03-Jul-16 05:17:21

Your dress look fab, BikeRunSki, I really like the neckline, very classic and timeless.

I have a skirt I bought from Per Una, it's black chiffon with a very fine jersey knit around the waist. It is so serviceable, one of my staple wardrobe items and I've worn it several Christmases on the trot to different events. I even wore it "dressed down" one year to DSSs parents evening as we were going out for dinner afterwards and it didn't look out of place at all!

I bought a pair of sandals from Next this summer £23 and they will be my "fave footwear" item of the future! Also a pair of fine knit jersey casual trousers, so good I bought them twice ( to paraphrase the song!)

BathshebaDarkstone Sun 03-Jul-16 05:20:36

My olive green poncho.

Gruach Sun 03-Jul-16 06:02:05

Stupendous post OP - a good deed in a naughty troll-heavy MN world.

I have lost, abandoned or destroyed (through over-ambitious diy alteration or last minute washing of the "dry clean only") far too many of my very favourite things - though there is a black Antonio Berardi jacket from a few years ago that invariably exerts some magical effect on the surrounding company ...

I have however recently acquired a full bottle of a Vero Kern perfume that I'd previously only ever bought as little tiny samples. The darling perfume shop was moving premises and quite randomly, on the night I happened to be browsing sleeplessly, reduced this particular scent (but not the others by the same perfumer) by almost half. It must have been the last bottle because they were immediately out of stock after mine was dispatched. It's a grand, swooning, winter night at the opera type of thing - so I haven't even opened the bottle yet - but every time I notice the box it gives me a little jolt of hope and anticipation. Which is rather necessary right now.

April229 Sun 03-Jul-16 09:29:12

I have a pair of black trousers from warehouse, they are thick black cotton with slightly flared / boot cut leg. The cut around the thighs makes me look so slim and tall and the waist and hips are perfect. I feel so great in the trousers and have never been able to find a second pair, I'm scared one day I'll ware them out :-/

When I first fit back into these after mat leave it was that that made me feel normal again. Love them.

BikeRunSki Sun 03-Jul-16 10:13:35

Ah April, I'm still searching for perfect black trousers!

amarmai Sun 03-Jul-16 18:35:29

In summer my Hatley cotton knit t shirt dresses with leggings from Hand M.In winter my wool knit dresses with winter leggings.

EmmaWoodlouse Sun 03-Jul-16 18:59:22

I think mine might be a short, very faded (intentionally) denim jacket from the New Look sale. I wear it all the time with dresses in "between seasons" weather and sometimes with non-blue jeans (I think it would be a bit too much with blue jeans). It's quite rock chick but not inappropriately so for middle age!

Sadik Sun 03-Jul-16 19:00:43

Mine definitely chops and changes. Right now, it's an ankle length 1980s (or maybe 70s, but Made In Czechoslovakia, so pre-1993) fake fur coat.

99% of the social events I get invited to are held outside or end up with most of the guests outside, summer or winter and I am so fed up of deciding between wearing a party frock and freezing, or wearing boring clothes just to be warm once the sun goes down. I've worn it to a few events so far, and even at 2am when everyone sober has been huddling by the fire, I've been warm and toasty. Best £15 spent on ebay in a long time smile

BikeRunSki Sun 03-Jul-16 20:42:16

Hatley do adult clothes????!

Black leather jacket.

amarmai Sun 03-Jul-16 22:32:45

Yes Hatley does adult clothes. I am wearing a faded airforce blue and off white stripe Hatley t shirt dress right now. yesterday.s was fuchsia and navy stripes. Tomorrow maybe turquoise and navy?
Also have non stripe and non t styles.. I am not employed by them!

Tiggywinkler Sun 03-Jul-16 22:43:29

When I was 18, I bought a cinnamon suede blazer that is still going strong 15 years later.

It's perfect - hip length, thin lapels, a tight waist. I've worn it on three continents, day and night, with jeans and dresses and everything in between. I love it.

I can't wait to lose this last bit of baby weight so I can fish it out again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now