Gel Nails - which colour do you have?

(34 Posts)
RudyMentary Sat 02-Jul-16 06:23:54

Having these done for the first time today <<eeek>>

How do you decide on a colour you want for 3 whole weeks?!

RudyMentary Sat 02-Jul-16 06:27:18

Or should that be 'what colour'? confused

teacher54321 Sat 02-Jul-16 06:36:03

Currently i have bright pink-which I love! I just pick a colour I like on that day and have never got sick of it. I usually go for something quite bright, so a coral or pink in the summer or dark red in the winter. Sometimes I have purple or blue if I feel like a change smile

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 02-Jul-16 06:38:27

I have OPI gel coral at the moment. I'm not that adventurous - probably have about seven or eight colours that I choose. They have built up over time with new ones coming out .
Have made a few mistakes so just stick to what I like !

RudyMentary Sat 02-Jul-16 06:45:00

Do they really last about 3 weeks?

seaviewplease Sat 02-Jul-16 06:52:08

Mine lasted about two weeks. I mean they stay on but my nails grew in that time and too much of my own nails was showing so they had to come off.

Occasionally one nail might chip but the salon will usually touch them up for you.

Personally I got fed up with the regrowth and procedure for taking them off plus the scratchy condition of my nails underneath. Sorry.
I now do them myself with regular varnish and a gel top coat.

This all sounds very negative, so sorry. I did live my salon nails when I had them first. I went for deep red (not bright red) or a burgundy which I think is called Merlot in the OPI range.

Give them a go and enjoy!

seaviewplease Sat 02-Jul-16 06:53:00

Typos!!! blush

RudyMentary Sat 02-Jul-16 06:56:00

Yes - I'm aware of the scratchy nails underneath and that's why I've not done it before. Local salon is having an offer so thought I would go for it smile

RudyMentary Sat 02-Jul-16 06:57:32

I will rebook for a few weeks time as offer is for July only

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 02-Jul-16 07:00:15

Mine last three weeks , obviously nails grow but they don't chip in that time.

PlugUgly Sat 02-Jul-16 07:05:14

Get your toenails done too! Last for AGES! Coral is great if you are tanned, if you want to be more subtle what about a sophisticated nude pink?

PlugUgly Sat 02-Jul-16 07:06:36

Oh yes and they really do last 3 weeks if done at a salon, I have a home kit too but they only last a week

sashh Sat 02-Jul-16 07:14:33

Yes they last three weeks.

I currently have a dark green glitter.

There is a colour called 'copper' that is just like sparkly copper.

You can also get some that change colour with heat.

Lots of people round here have four fingers in a colour and a glitter/contrast on their ring finger.

branofthemist Sat 02-Jul-16 07:18:10

My fingers don't last three weeks. One at most. But I have had loads of different brands and salons. I can't keep extensions on for more than a few days either. So I think it's me rather than the gel.

My aunt now has her own salon, so I go there and always have gel on my toes. It's lasts up to 6 weeks. Depending Ob When I can get in and get them done again. I always have whatever her new colour or effect is. So she can take a photo for her Facebook page. Currently it's illuminous Orange. Not my favourite. But it's free so I can cope grin

RudyMentary Sat 02-Jul-16 08:27:59

Thanks all

I will let you know what I go for smile
I wear cool colours (HOC Summer) so must try not to be tempted by all the warm brights!

DarkLikeVader Sat 02-Jul-16 16:45:10

I'm currently wearing gumdrop (an Orly gel colour) - a really bright summery turquoise. I decided to go very bright for summer so it clashes on purpose with all my clothes, I think it works, I don't care if it doesn't - it makes me feel summery!

I normally have dark grey or mink for winter, a dark red or something a bit sparkly for Christmas/new year, something bright for summer, but I haven't found anything that works for spring yet as I'm pale and most pale colours make me look a little corpsey. I have to say when I do my own gel nails I can get three weeks wear sometimes, when they're done by a professional it tends to be between 1-2 weeks. On my toes the gel lasts until it grows out really.

Janey50 Sat 02-Jul-16 18:38:37

Yes,mine lasted 3 weeks the first time I had them done. Was pleasantly surprised tbh. And believe me, am not particularly gentle with them.

Janey50 Sat 02-Jul-16 18:42:46

Posted too soon. I had my second set done 3 days ago and will be interested to see how long they last this time. As for colour,when I had my first set done in December last year,I went for a festive pillar-box red. On this latest set I have a more subtle and summery shimmery pale pink.

RudyMentary Sat 02-Jul-16 19:25:38

I have no idea what it's called but I went for this 😄

seaviewplease Sat 02-Jul-16 19:28:49

Very nice!! Good colour and nice n' shiny

RudyMentary Sat 02-Jul-16 19:29:52

She's just trained so only £12:50

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 02-Jul-16 20:04:55

Nice colour !

Bellyrub1980 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:09:53

I work in a job where I'm only allowed clear varnish. Does this exist in the gel world?

TheGardenOfEdenExists Sat 02-Jul-16 20:12:23

I really dislike blues, turquoise, coppers, yellows etc on me - they really don't suit my skin tone. Currently got a claret OPI gel. I always go for pinks, reds, corals, clarets. Sometimes a 'mushroom'. I'd love a nude shade but I've a red tone to my fingers (after a botched cannula) which nude just highlights.

Doesn't usually last longer than 2 weeks max on me.

mrssmith79 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:14:35

At the minute IBD Juliet. I get them done every 2-3 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now