Accessorise this dress or buy a new one?

(13 Posts)
APlaceOnTheCouch Fri 01-Jul-16 14:25:51

I have been invited to a ball at very short notice. The only vaguely suitable dress I have languishing in my wardrobe is this but tbh it doesn't really look that good on. The elasticated waist seems too noticeable. Do you think I can rescue it with accessories? Or should I just buy something new?

Runningupthathill82 Fri 01-Jul-16 14:56:10

Could we see a pic of you in it - without your face, if you'd rather? The dress looks fab on the model and I'm sure it looks better on you than you imagine.

APlaceOnTheCouch Fri 01-Jul-16 15:56:16

Hmm, looking at my pic beside the model pic apart from being incredibly demoralising I think I need a much higher heel.

Runningupthathill82 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:10:57

You look fab!

Lonelynessie Fri 01-Jul-16 16:31:47

It looks fab on you, wear it!

ChocolateButton15 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:38:07

What about a spray tan or using one of those gradual tanners? I always feel more confident with a tan! It's nice and sparkly so I would say wear it unless you personally don't like wearing it or feel uncomfortable.

ChocolateButton15 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:38:54

I would keep accessories minimal because of the sparkles!

Meeep Fri 01-Jul-16 16:40:38

I think you look nice too smile

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Fri 01-Jul-16 16:41:49

It's lovely and sparkly and looks very nice with your skin tone. You could go for a gold diamante belt if you are very conscious of the elastic waist but honestly in the photo it looks fine. Alternatively go for a thin black sash (satin? beaded?) with other black accessories - shoes, back, jet earrings?

Ilovewillow Fri 01-Jul-16 16:44:03

It looks lovely but I would agree a higher heel. If you don't like the elasticated waist pop another belt over the top! Definitely don't buy another it looks fab!

Fresta Fri 01-Jul-16 17:11:00

I would add a chunky gold bangle and maybe gold or nude sandals/shoes instead of black. You don't need a spray tan, you have lovely naturally fair skin- nothing worse than looking orange!

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Fri 01-Jul-16 18:00:18

Bag not back!

APlaceOnTheCouch Fri 01-Jul-16 18:27:22

Thanks so much for all your nice comments! flowers

I couldn't decide about a golden lotion. I did wonder if I was too pale.

Ilovewillow I wore gold sandals with it, the last time I wore it but they got wrecked during the dancing and I forgot to replace them. I do have very high nude sandals but I'm not sure I would last a full night in them.

Any ideas on where I could get a nice belt?

It is actually very comfortable to wear. That may be unconsciously impacting how I feel about it because I'm used to wearing more structured clothing if I'm getting dressed up grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now