what fashion advice would you give Theresa May

(154 Posts)
CreepingClematis Thu 30-Jun-16 19:52:23

?
Please don't let this descend into a gender issue- quite happy to discuss male politicians too.

But if she is to be PM as looks likely she needs some serious intervention. Her outfit today was ghastly- a cheap shot a wearing tartan to unite the UK.
Her blouse is gaping around her tummy showing skin.

Since she's been in politics, her hair has gone grey, she has terrible eye bags, and she looks much older than she is imo.

Yes, of course her work is the most important thing, but over the years her outfits have been a huge distraction - the garish patchwork coat, the evening dress showing her shoulders , and more....

Backingvocals Thu 30-Jun-16 19:55:25

I think she looks great. Elegant.

She's been diagnosed with diabetes so she probably has a few physical challenges to be on top of. I'd love her to be PM right now.

Mrsmaudwatts Thu 30-Jun-16 19:55:46

My first bit of advice would be to get a new job. Then she can wear what the fuck she likes!

DubiousCredentials Thu 30-Jun-16 19:59:33

^^what they said.

Clangersarepink Thu 30-Jun-16 19:59:36

Strangely, when I saw May's photos I was thinking "I wonder what sort of PM she'll make?"

TheLittlestBear Thu 30-Jun-16 20:00:13

Is this the same tartan suit Cara Delavine wore?

Hellonlegs Thu 30-Jun-16 20:01:26

She should wear whatever she feels comfortable in - but perhaps a blouse which doesn't gape and strain around the buttons...shock

hollyisalovelyname Thu 30-Jun-16 20:02:30

That whatever she has been doing in the past continue ... at her peril.
Christine Lagarde always looks well.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 30-Jun-16 20:04:03

I liked her old hair.

I think we're allowed to discuss hair AND politics. We're women. We can do it all.

We can discuss Michael Gove's hair too if you like wink

cressetmama Thu 30-Jun-16 20:29:36

her appearance is much improved from a few years ago. She appears to be on top of the diabetes, and generally looks as though she's bothered just enough, then decided which shoes will rock it a bit. I think she looks okay.

CreepingClematis Thu 30-Jun-16 20:37:48

well, I think it's one faux pas after another.
At the weekend she was pictures coming out of church wearing jeans, a quilted jacket and a blouse. Fair enough but the jeans were high waisted, no belt, slight tummy bulge, and worst of all they had been pressed so they had a crease down the leg. It looked like a bad 1980s outfit.

Last Tory conference she came in for some stick as she wore an off the shoulder (one shoulder ) black dress. A few years back she appeared in an evening gown that was a terrible fit and did her no favours- strapless and showing wobbly cleavage and fat upper arms - not a good look. She tries to make a 'aren't I glam' statement but she ends up looking cheap and dated at the same time.

CreepingClematis Thu 30-Jun-16 20:39:26

I just think that for someone in the public eye- as Home Sec or likely PM- she needs some guidance.

WipsGlitter Thu 30-Jun-16 20:45:16

The gaping shirt wasn't good. I preferred her old hair. She had funnel neck coat that was super.

bojorojo Thu 30-Jun-16 20:49:26

Mrs T used to look dated too. All pussy bows and mumsy. She looked terrif a few years later when she went to Russia. She just need a stylist that understands women of a certain age! (And be willing to spend a bit of money). Christine Lagarde is the No 1 in the perfect dressing stakes. It's easy for her, she's French and it is in her DNA. Theresa May is slim and just needs some help. Skirts a tad longer and dresses would look better. At least she is not in a Frau Merkel trouser suit!

Eliza22 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:15:42

I don't care. She has a huge job to do, if she's elected. She could wear a bin liner for me, as long as she sorts out this mess.

Doobigetta Thu 30-Jun-16 22:37:20

No, sorry. I love S&B, but she isn't out there asking for fashion advice, so anyone thinking of giving it needs to wind their neck in. She's a politician, not a model. We really need to stop judging other women on their appearance if it is irrelevant to the reason they are in the public eye. This is what holds all of us back, just stop it.

dudsville Thu 30-Jun-16 22:40:25

So what if she had a tummy bulge. She's not an athletics Coach. And she's not a personal stylist. Or a model. ...

BabyGanoush Thu 30-Jun-16 22:44:41

I think she looks just fine.

BabyGanoush Thu 30-Jun-16 22:45:04

Better than Gove and his hideous wife!

BackforGood Thu 30-Jun-16 22:46:13

Exactly what doobigetta said.

Unbelievable that you think its acceptable to tear apart a politician's appearance when she's always smart, clean and presentable.

I love the s&b boards when people ask for help, , but find it pretty pathetic that in 2016 you are judging a politicians capabilities on if you approve of her clothes choices hmm and angry

TheSpottedZebra Thu 30-Jun-16 22:47:47

What's the problem with her shoulders?
You've mentioned them a bit, so I feel it's quite a grave issue for you, OP.

FourFlapjacksPlease Thu 30-Jun-16 22:49:40

I don't give a fuck what she wears. I am quite depressed that her hair, eye bags and outfit are being criticised by other women. I think its a sad reflection of our society.

If she does her job well she can wear a bikini and deeply boppers for all I care.

29redshoes Thu 30-Jun-16 22:52:58

I'd tell her to wear whatever she likes!

HopeClearwater Thu 30-Jun-16 22:54:21

What Flapjacks said.

Although I am finding it really hard not to criticise that awful Sarah Vine by reference to her appearance. We are so conditioned to have a go at women's looks. So far, am succeeding in restricting myself to simply mouthing off about her 'accidental' leaked email.

needastrongone Thu 30-Jun-16 23:08:24

She's looks perfectly fine. She's potentially the next PM. I'd rather listen to what comes out of her mouth than what she wears.

How about picking up on Boris and his unkempt and flustered look? Doesn't stop him being highly astute and savvy.

confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now