Have you ever loved a perfume on first smell and hated it on the second?

(3 Posts)
Corialanusburt Thu 30-Jun-16 19:21:50

This has happened twice recently.
First was with Clinique Rose. I thought it was stunning and MIL bought it for me. I felt guilty for what she'd spent. When I got it home, after having lived it every time I'd tried it I couldn't bare it. The smell reminded me of the chemical you get in Elsan toilets when you're camping. I can't wear it.

Second was Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540. When I first smelled it, I thought that's it, I've found the holy grail. As it wore off I was sniffing my scarf to get a final whiff. I fantasised about selling a kidney to pay for it. I tried it a second time and within a few minutes felt like vomitting. It was like off sugary eggs. It clung to my clothes and I couldn't wait to be rid of it. Luckily I didn't buy it.

This hasn't happened to me before. Have used Clinique Elixir for years.and several others without this reaction.

FenellaFerranti Thu 30-Jun-16 20:37:44

I get this with perfumes a lot. I've been told it's me - I have 'acidic' skin which basically turns perfume from amazing to a really sour chemically smell - totally different to how it smells on other people or sample sticks etc. I ended up splashing out on an Armani Prive perfume a couple of years ago which stays nice, it has a higher essential oil content and is less chemically so suits me - I've been wanting to try more natural perfumes, maybe Neal's Yard etc would work better?

TWOBANANAS Thu 30-Jun-16 20:54:41

JPG Classique and Clinique Aromatics

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now