Benefits of not wearing makeup.

(15 Posts)
gillyweedandknotgrass Tue 28-Jun-16 00:23:41

If you have stopped or never really worn makeup, what benefits have you noticed.

After stopping wearing makeup two months ago, I've noticed:

1) Much clearer skin.
2) I'm more at ease with - and am even beginning to like - my face without makeup.
3) Much more time, morning and night.

randomcatname Tue 28-Jun-16 04:37:02

What age are you? I've never really worn make up on a day to day basis but now I'm in my 40s I'm seeing red lines I'm prone to cover up...

nooka Tue 28-Jun-16 05:02:02

I've never worn make up, so I can't say I've suddenly noticed any benefits. My face in my 40s is more weathered than it was in my 20s, but that's not much different to the rest of my body! I have always liked my face, I make sure I smile when I look in the mirror smile My dd has suddenly decided that she needs to have a set of make up and learn how to apply it so I can observe that it seems expensive and time consuming.

MagicMonkeys Tue 28-Jun-16 05:58:33

I started make up about a year ago, and wish I never. Face is now red without it!

CallarMorvern Tue 28-Jun-16 09:42:16

I wear make-up a handful of times a year. I'm 46 have OK skin with a bit of colour about it, wrinkles not too bad. Few thread veins round nose, which I might start concealing. When I wore make-up all the time, I always had spots and black heads.
Friends who wear make -up daily, always look really pale and ill when I see them without, but that could just be because I'm used to seeing them with make-up.

katiegg Tue 28-Jun-16 09:47:54

I'm 31 and dont wear a much makeup, mascara and eyeliner most days but I only wear foundation, blusher, eyeshadow, lip stick etc for nights out etc (or if I can be bothered on a normal day, which is rare!)

I have pretty clear skin, but I'm not sure if that's because I dont wear makeup or if I dont wear makeup because I have clear skin. Kind of a chicken or egg situation.

Generally, I'm not the most confident person but I am happy to go most places without makeup on. And yes to have more time in the morning! Those extra 10 minutes in bed are priceless!

specialsubject Tue 28-Jun-16 12:38:10

No one looks pale and sick without slap!! Perhaps the days when your mates haven't spent ages on it are the days that they actually are sick?

Bet no one ever saw a man and thought, ' he d look better covered in beige, with sticky red lips and thick black lines round his eyes'

Wear if you want but remember it changes nothing.

Thelastusername Tue 28-Jun-16 12:42:03

I used to wear full face everyday, now mid-late twenties. My skin is clearer (previous acne) and less red, I save myself a hell of a lot of time and enjoy not having to remove it all! No watery/ irritable eyes, and my eyelashes look longer and healthier than they used to be. I'm also starting to like my face without make up and feel far more confident now.

randomcatname Tue 28-Jun-16 13:58:47

Everyone who likes their face more as they get older....is it possible your eyesight is failing?

*ducks for cover

amarmai Tue 28-Jun-16 14:18:46

Saves me time and money and nobody gets a shock if they see me without the mask!

0dfod Tue 28-Jun-16 16:36:27

I don't wear a lot of makeup (age 42), just a smidge of eyeliner and a brush of mascara is my norm.

Sometimes go without it if I have a tan.

A little lippy if it is a particularly dull day weather wise.

I do think less is more iykwim and that makeup should be subtle and to enhance ones features, not hide behind a mask of products.

It is about confidence I think and being happy with the skin we are in.

specialsubject Tue 28-Jun-16 16:37:02

No, as we get older our brains develop , we know that the sick freaks in the magazines are photoshopped, that everyone who doesn't die young ages and that on many it looks better than the bovine beige vacant look peddled to the youth.

RudyMentary Tue 28-Jun-16 16:41:22

As I age I look even older with makeup.

You need to tone it down as you age or you're in danger of looking like Liza Minnelli a drag queen

pottymummy Tue 28-Jun-16 16:44:51

Its not really possible to know whether it makes a difference or not to my skin, since I've never really bothered with makeup. When I do wear it (maybe once a week to once a fortnight) I wear ALL the makeup smile
On a standard work day like today I don't wear anything.

The biggest difference to my skin is when I rein in the sugar and I drink more water. If I start pigging out, then the zits come.
I do have good skin in that its not particularly wrinkly for a 41 year old (my peers have a lot more wrinkles around the eyes) however that's probably a) just an inherited thing and b) I'm fatter than my peers, and therefore everything is plumped out.

hiccupgirl Tue 28-Jun-16 19:09:21

I've only ever worn make up for special occasions, never as a daily thing. I have always worn SPF moisturiser and eye cream since my early 20s and I'm 44 now.

I can't compare my skin because I don't know what it would be like otherwise. I know it doesn't like heavy products and even a heavy moisturiser will make it break out so I'm guessing foundation etc everyday wouldn't be good for it.

In my similar age friends, I generally think they look much better when they were less makeup as lots of foundation etc tends to sit on top of older skin and look less natural than when you're younger. But whatever works for different people tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now