Would you wear this dress to a formal dinner?

(44 Posts)
orangeistheonlyfruit Mon 27-Jun-16 12:37:49

In the black

here

I already have bought it and it is lovely but not sure if I should be more floor length?

MrsSpecter Mon 27-Jun-16 12:39:43

Yes i think ir could be ok with noce shoes and jewellery. The neckline is a bit "meh" for a formal occasion but i think you can get away with it.

Maybenot321 Mon 27-Jun-16 12:43:10

Yes-dress is lovely but the model's boots look horrible with it imo

Lulooo Mon 27-Jun-16 12:43:14

Looks a bit casual.

WordGetsAround Mon 27-Jun-16 12:45:17

No. Smart casual would be okay but not a formal dinner.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Mon 27-Jun-16 12:45:49

Yes with different shoes.

Is it a dinner where you've been told floor length op? Like Military? Because that'd be a no no in that situation.

Also depends how tall you are and how high the shoes I guess!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 27-Jun-16 12:46:59

Looks more on the casual side to me too.

thundercake Mon 27-Jun-16 12:48:39

I think its gorgeous!! Definitely fine for a formal dinner once you accessorise right.

FauxFox Mon 27-Jun-16 12:50:13

No.

ThinkPinkStink Mon 27-Jun-16 12:55:53

It's a lovely dress, whether it's suitable depending onwhat you mean by 'formal dinner' - if it's a Michelin Star restaurant, yes this will be just fine. If it's a black tie or business-formal do, then no, it's neither black tie, nor business formal.

What does the dress code for the event/venue say?

MidnightVelvetthe5th Mon 27-Jun-16 12:56:32

Not for this occasion, its a lovely dress, I really like it smile

But its not formal. Its not the length that's the problem unless as a PP said there is a very strict dress code that requires a floor length gown. Its the cut of it, the sleeves, the neckline, the hemline none of them are cut for a formal gown.

Like I say its a beautiful dress & in most situations would be really versatile, but I'd wear something else, sorry.

KeyserSophie Mon 27-Jun-16 13:14:07

I agree it's the cut that's the issue. It's really nice but definitely not black tie, and not right for business evening tire either (in that it's not the female equivalent of suits). However, if there's no dress code but just a "let's dress up a bit" agreement then wear it.

orangeistheonlyfruit Mon 27-Jun-16 13:16:46

Thanks for the replies all. It is a prestigious graduation dinner. It's not me graduating and kind of wanted something low key dress-wise but obviously smart enough. I think the graduates may be in floor length but there is no specific dress code as far as I know.

I do need a necklace if anyone has seen anything nice? And shoes I have below what do you all think?

orangeistheonlyfruit Mon 27-Jun-16 13:47:25

necklace?

www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/bags-accessories-1702216/jewellery-469/layered-flower-necklace-5623985?bi=40&ps=20

MagicMonkeys Mon 27-Jun-16 13:48:40

It's horrible

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 27-Jun-16 13:52:28

No. And most especially not with those shoes shudder.

FenellaMaxwell Mon 27-Jun-16 13:55:41

Sorry but in the context you give, I don't think it's smart enough, especially if the graduates are in floor length, as you run the risk of looking like staff. Also, it's a teeny bit 'nun's habit'. Sorry!

Maybenot321 Mon 27-Jun-16 13:56:54

I like the necklace & dress, but not keen on the shoes. Sorry

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 27-Jun-16 14:18:41

It's nice enough, but a bit boring. The necklace is nice and would lift it, not so sure about the shoes.

Libitina Mon 27-Jun-16 15:16:13

No for the dress and the shoes, sorry. If the graduates are wearing floor length, they are definitely to casual imo. Can you rig the venue and ask what the dress code is?

Libitina Mon 27-Jun-16 15:16:43

*ring

orangeistheonlyfruit Mon 27-Jun-16 15:16:49

Thanks for all the replies I do appreciate it. So most of you not too sure on the shoes. What kind of style should I look for? I have lots of pairs of occasion shoes but feel these not right either. As the skirt part goes above the knee on one side and then mid calf of another it is hard to think of what shoes to wear!

I do love the dress, it looks stunning on and you can tie the belt in lots of different ways to change the look of it. I have lots of all saints stuff and this dress is very 'me' but of course I understand it's not to everyone's taste smile

ggirl Mon 27-Jun-16 15:19:59

I think the outfit is perfect for the occasion .
You'll look great.
Dress codes aren't rigid these days anyway .

justaweeone Mon 27-Jun-16 15:37:25

I really like it
What about shoes like this
https://www.shoeaholics.com/brands/women/lipsy/emma-black-synthetic-lipsy-6141800979

justaweeone Mon 27-Jun-16 15:39:55

Or these
https://www.shoeaholics.com/brands/women/carvela-kurt-geiger/grass-black-suedette-carvela

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now