Altering a jacket

(5 Posts)
PhyllisWig Sun 26-Jun-16 19:48:14

I have lost a lot of weight over the past year and have gone from an 18/20 to a 12. The Christmas before I started to lose the weight dh got me a blazer which I have never worn. It is obviously miles too big now but I do really like it.
It's a Boden velvet blazer and the only thing which vaguely fits is the length!
I will take it into the new alterations place which has opened in my town but would like to be realistic about what they might be able to do.

Thistledew Sun 26-Jun-16 19:53:51

TBH, I would have thought you will end up spending as much on alterations as you would buying a new jacket. Jackets are the most difficult thing to alter, as you have to open up and alter the lining as well as the outer layer. Also, it is likely that the blazer has multiple panels, each of which will have to be unpicked and resized. It won't work if you just try to take it in at the side seams. Any darts, such as over the bust, will probably have to be unpicked and adjusted as well.

Go and see what they say in the shop, but you may be better off sticking it on eBay and putting what you get for it towards something in your new size.

Pinkerbeller Sun 26-Jun-16 19:55:22

I would imagine they'd have to completely take it apart, recut then put back togetherand that will = £££s. Probably better to sell it and buy another in your new size then twirl around for hours, grinning

PhyllisWig Mon 27-Jun-16 07:59:40

Thank you. Sounds like it won't be worth it so will eBay.

TellMeDani Mon 27-Jun-16 14:16:03

You could look on e-bay for the same jacket but in a smaller size? I've found a few bits like that where I have owned the 14/16 and now need a much smaller size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now