How do the youngsters get such great smooth coverage with foundation?

(68 Posts)
fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sat 25-Jun-16 08:28:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyFucker Sat 25-Jun-16 08:29:43

They buy the expense stuff

And yes, young skin is much smoother,

RNBrie Sat 25-Jun-16 08:31:03

I think it's because they're young... Sorry!

I remember having this conversation with my mum when I was about 18. She wanted to know what I was doing differently to her so we did our make up together, she used my foundation, couldn't get anything like the same result.

Now I'm old and I can't get it either... Although I have largely given up trying!

Fairylea Sat 25-Jun-16 08:32:01

They use TONS. They use those little sponges that look like the little electricity mascot from Bristish Gas. They have good skin to start with.

AnyFucker Sat 25-Jun-16 08:32:14

Shit, posted before I finished

*smoother

They also trowel it on. I don't use foundation at all as it makes my 50 yo skin look worse....a light tan and moisturiser is it for me

SoupDragon Sat 25-Jun-16 08:33:00

I have to say that my immediate thought was " because they have young smooth skin to start with" grin

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sat 25-Jun-16 08:33:27

AnyFucker Sat 25-Jun-16 08:34:32

I presume you are no longer 18yo

That'll be it

WeekendAway Sat 25-Jun-16 08:35:40

I hate to burst your bubble but it's not their foundation that's smooth and flawless, it's their skin!

VioletBam Sat 25-Jun-16 08:36:02

OP you MUST exfoliate properly and really warm up your skin before starting. Put way more moisturiser on than usual and massage your face for about five minutes. Wipe off the excess and then moisturise again, lightly.

Let it sink in then use a nivea after shave balm for men.

Let that dry....use a sponge or a BIG brush to get things smooth as you apply. I use BB cream and then Kryolan concealor..it's the best whe you're older. Yes it's stage makeup but nothing is near as good for covering up and it's ace on dry skin.

DurhamDurham Sat 25-Jun-16 08:36:35

My 19 and 23 year olds buy Mac makeup and always look flawless ( they look v good without it to be honest), they don't use loads as they don't need to. I think it's down to the fact that they have smooth, plump, wrinkle free skin and haven't yet been blighted with age spots like their mother grin

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sat 25-Jun-16 08:40:39

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sat 25-Jun-16 08:42:03

AnyFucker Sat 25-Jun-16 08:44:16

Goodness Violet. That is a very time consuming ritual you have there. I couldn't be arsed with that.

Viviene Sat 25-Jun-16 08:47:07

It takes ages to learn that and I think the youngsters now apart from the flawless skin have YouTube and million make up advice sites.
I've had make up done by MAC artist (twice) and bought all the things she used - primer, foundation, loose powder, concealer, blush, bronzer all that nonsense. I also bought a beauty blender and a set of brushes from Zoeva (alternative to Mac). Can I do it again like they did it? Hell no. When I do it the foundation does not blend with my skin, it just sits on top of it and mid- afternoon I've got spots of pink skin shining through where the make up has worn off. Awful.
I am not giving up though and trying to work out which make up stuff will work best together. I noticed that cheaper stuff is easier to apply, MAC is (semi)pro so you need more skills. It also takes time and patience which I don't always have so sometimes it's just BB cream for me (body shop is my fav) or a good primer (I've got Smashbox pore minimized one) and a cheap foundation from Boots.

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sat 25-Jun-16 08:51:22

Woodhill Sat 25-Jun-16 08:55:28

I have the Yves St Laurent foundation. I don't wear it much but it does look good. I used Clarins beauty flash then on back of hand, dot on face and use a brush. I was told to push it into skin with brush as to start with I was wiping product off. This was from someone who had experience.

Then powder. I want it to last for an important event. My skin isn't bad. I'm 49.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jun-16 08:58:08

I use a teardrop shaped latex sponge from super drugs B range. It was £3 but it makes me look better than if I just use fingers.

SonicSpotlight Sat 25-Jun-16 09:28:51

Young skin looks good whatever you put on it. I have found that spending more time on cleansing, using acid toner and retinol serum and moisturising well makes my makeup look better. Improving the surface the makeup is going onto basically. I use tinted moisturiser rather than foundation most of the time as I find that heavier makeup just settles in the lines on my face.

NattyGolfJerkin Sat 25-Jun-16 09:47:50

I have the same trouble, very frustrating. Mind you, it means I spend quite a lot of time/effort/££ on my skin instead now and it looks good/acceptable without foundation. The only thing I can manage with if I'm doing something formal and need a 'full face' is Laura Mercier's tinted moisturiser. Good (but not mask-like), dewy (not sweaty) coverage and doesn't settle into lines or dry out in patches over the evening (my other issue). I can't wear it every day though as it does transfer and it also clogs my pores if I wear it too frequently.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 25-Jun-16 09:49:46

Filters!

Up close it's trowled on.

ggirl Sat 25-Jun-16 10:11:34

The youngsters have the magic collagen to plump their skin
Less is more as we age and a blender sponge is good for a more flattering finish that looks natural..but actually what I think it does is remove excess product .

bouquetdiva Sat 25-Jun-16 10:31:52

The Real Techniques Stippling Brush is worth a try!

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sat 25-Jun-16 10:32:42

U2HasTheEdge Sat 25-Jun-16 13:01:30

I never had good skin, ever.

I was watching videos to help me apply my new eyeshadow and they all bloody had smooth skin and smooth eyelids. So I put on my primer and well, still a bit crinkly. I had to remind myself I'm 35 and I will never have smooth eyelids again.

I got an egg blender thing and it has helped but it soaks up most of the foundation so I might need a better one. With discolouration, acne, acne scars and bags I will never get to experience flawless looking skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now