Opinions please oh wise arbiters of style and taste

(26 Posts)
FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 22-Jun-16 16:04:14

I fling myself on your judgment oh decides of style and taste.

I bought these trousers this afternoon in a rushed-with-toddler whim.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are not great.

Give me your worst ladies....

LadyAntonella Wed 22-Jun-16 16:09:41

Hmmmm I like the print and the style actually, but they don't look great on the model tbh. Might be that she is very tall and these look a bit short on her. Have you tried them on?

LadyAntonella Wed 22-Jun-16 16:10:30

Also I love your username! Me too. Flop is a saint and parenting genius.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 22-Jun-16 16:16:15

I have. I'm short so they come to a normal trouser length on me. I think Im slightly concerned they make me look wide which obviously you can't answer. That said, I don't mind if they aren't the most flattering item in my wardrobe as long as they don't look too wacky as well!
Wacky and wide is not the look I'm aiming for this summer!

LadyAntonella Wed 22-Jun-16 16:23:17

I'd say they're wacky but not offensively so. smile

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 22-Jun-16 16:29:45

Hmm not sure I can pull off wacky! Thank you though for your opinions and not calling me a sleep deprived crazy person for even picking them up!

Mrs9C Wed 22-Jun-16 16:30:40

Have you tried them on and taken a mirror photo? That might help you decide. I decided this year that I wouldn't buy anything unless I actually LOVE it, it's helped me make a few decisions were I've wavered.

nicxy Wed 22-Jun-16 16:42:38

I really like these, flop - I spotted them on the website the other day - I'm definitely too wide to pull them off, though - but if they suit you, go for it!

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 22-Jun-16 16:43:55

I'll do that thanks. I've lost four and half stone in the last year so I'm still building up clothes but I do only want to buy things I love. I love geometric patterns so maybe it's the fit that's worrying me, which obviously can't be seen from a link!

polyhymnia Wed 22-Jun-16 16:53:10

Fwiw, I think their wackiness would be acceptable on holidays or on a warm sunny day, less so in grey weather.

DerelictMyBalls Wed 22-Jun-16 17:11:22

I think they are fun. What will you wear them with?

LadyAntonella Wed 22-Jun-16 17:19:06

I do actually like them btw OP - just clarifying in case it sounds like I don't! I second the mirror photo idea. Also would they go with other things in your wardrobe? I sometimes find I buy clothes because I love them but then get home and realise I have nothing to wear them with!

botemp Wed 22-Jun-16 17:27:09

100% polyester pants only suitable in the summer? Sorry, but no unless you're really a big fan of the sweaty crotch.

BananaChew Wed 22-Jun-16 17:36:55

I like them. Would wear them with a navy blouse (tucked in) and some tan sandals and bag.

Onlytimewilltell Wed 22-Jun-16 17:52:59

I think they are awful, sorry! I had a homemade dress in similar material in the 1970's and a matching PE bag made from the surplus!! it wasn't a good look then either blush

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 22-Jun-16 18:03:58

No problem onlytime all opinions welcome - because you would still be thinking that if you saw me in the street.

LadyAntonella Wed 22-Jun-16 19:02:54

Good point about the sweaty crotch polyester...

DragonRojo Thu 23-Jun-16 10:07:10

I really don't like them. In my opinion, such a big print with wide legged trousers, only looks ok if your legs are really looking as well. They remind me of 1970s shower curtains. Sorry

burnishedsilver Thu 23-Jun-16 10:15:46

No. Not nice. Sorry.

emilythomson313 Thu 23-Jun-16 11:27:03

I don't really think they're that bad, but it is not something I would wear, just not my style. But if you like them, go for it! What's important is to feel comfortable in your own skin!

ScarletForYa Thu 23-Jun-16 11:30:42

They remind me of pyjamas! Sorry OP!

Lambzig Thu 23-Jun-16 12:58:08

You are not sure about them, which means you won't wear them. Take them back.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 23-Jun-16 13:06:58

I wouldn't call myself a wise arbiter of style and taste, but as a general rule of thumb if I'm wearing loose and wide on the bottom half, I'll wear tight and fitted on the top half and Vice versa. So I'd wear with a plain tight vest top and flats and keep everything else simple as the trousers are busy.

If I'm allowed another rule of thumb, it would be that if I buy something and don't want to wear it immediately, then I probably won't wear it.
Hope that helps.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 23-Jun-16 13:08:16

Congratulations on your weight loss that's a great achievementsmile

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 30-Jun-16 13:55:28

Thank you all for your advice.

In the end I returned them. Mostly because I did love them but decided that there were too few tops/outfits that matched them.
and not that I saw a bag in the sales that would go with EVERYTHING oh no

If they came up in the sale I might rebuy them but only if the weather improves. I think they could go "out of date" quite quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now