Summer black tie wedding. Grrrrr

(12 Posts)
TickledOnion Tue 21-Jun-16 13:41:53

What does one wear to a summer black tie wedding?

I'm 38, size 12, 30FF and curvy. I'm probably more pear shaped than hourglass but with a defined waist. If I can be bothered to lose half a stone before August I'll have a decent stomach and look ok in fitted dresses as long as they are in a structured fabric, not stretchy jersey or thin and silky.

I suit strong darker colours, nothing pastelly and definitely no peach, yellow or orange.

Please help.

Northumberlandlass Tue 21-Jun-16 13:46:04

Gilda Gown

Fatale

Any good?

Northumberlandlass Tue 21-Jun-16 13:47:24

Emerald

TickledOnion Tue 21-Jun-16 16:33:49

Thanks northumberlandlass. I hadn't considered a vintage style. I'm only 5ft3 so might be swamped in the long dresses, though I do like them. I don't know if a wiggle dress like the green would be eveningy enough.

FauxFox Tue 21-Jun-16 16:44:50

dark pink maxi
red biba maxi
teal biba
navy phase 8
cobalt coast maxi

A1Sharon Tue 21-Jun-16 19:40:52

There is loads in Pepperberry, I find they are cut for shorter folk.

TickledOnion Wed 22-Jun-16 13:57:58

Thanks FauxFox. Some of those look a bit to clingy/slinky for me.
Pepperbrrry doesn't seem to do anything very eveningy. Thanks anyway.

TickledOnion Thu 23-Jun-16 13:31:08

Can I have some opinions on this please? www.littleblackdress.co.uk/brands/honor-gold/adrianna-berry-midi-dress also comes in red, black or navy.

burnishedsilver Thu 23-Jun-16 16:34:35

No, sorry. I don't think the ruching on it is at all flattering.

A1Sharon Thu 23-Jun-16 18:39:48

Sorry Tickled I think that looks like the kind of thing The Eccleston Girls would wear. Cost a lot but looks like it should have cost £5, grin.
Do you think the black tie actually means evening wear for women?
At the one or two Ive been two the mean wear black tie but the women tend to wear what they would wear anyway.
I'm Irish so that usually means a dress, heels etc.LK bennett is always popular, what about this. With heels/jewellery etc could be dressy.

TickledOnion Thu 23-Jun-16 22:20:12

Thanks for your honesty burnished and A1 grin.

I have been to black tie weddings before but not for a few years. They are quite popular for Jewish weddings and people do dress up quite a lot. I'd definitely go for something like the LK Bennett dress for a normal summer wedding but I'm hung up on it not being eveningy. The ceremony is at 3pm followed by reception, dinner and dancing so evening/cocktail dress seems right to me.

TickledOnion Fri 01-Jul-16 22:11:28

Does this look smart enough for black tie? It's not at all what I was looking for but it's so pretty.
www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Alyssa-Dress.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now