Tankini/swimsuit for large of nork (and arse)

(20 Posts)
MrsLouisTomlinson Mon 20-Jun-16 21:12:03

Can anyone recommend somewhere online to get a tankini or swimsuit that will suit my short fat frame?

I'm a size 18 top and bottom with G cup Boobs. I appreciate nothing is going to look good but if anyone has any suggestions for something which won't look quite as bad I'd be grateful.

I'd rather not spend a fortune as outside of this one week of the year I'll never wear it again until the next holiday but I'm open to suggestions.

MintyChops Mon 20-Jun-16 21:31:06

I just got this and it is really flattering, comfortable and lovely. Yes, it is expensive but I will wear it swimming when we get back from our hols and I have decided that it is worth it for me to feel OK by the pool, playing with the kids. It seems to come as a tankini too....

LittleCandle Mon 20-Jun-16 21:32:11

Simply Be have a great range of swimsuits and they go up to the bigger sizes. A lot of them have Magisculpt in them, which helps hold in the bits you might like least.

Elizabethreallyismissing Mon 20-Jun-16 21:32:40

What about Boden? I had a really nice Tankini from there earlier this year! I am quite large of norm and it was very 'robust'! I've put weight on & felt quite bad about myself but I was happy to wear it on a girls weekend away!

JennyHolzersGhost Mon 20-Jun-16 21:34:36

My sister recommends M&S - they have a range of shaping, supporting swimwear.
I've ordered one, not tried it on yet.

PeachyStone Mon 20-Jun-16 21:35:03

I've got a cracking set of G cups and fare well in Bravissimo. They're a bit pricey but I've two tankinis which I can swap the tops and bottoms about. Both have an almost in built bra for support which is ace, just a bit of a pain in the arse getting on an off, especially when they're wet!

MrsLouisTomlinson Mon 20-Jun-16 21:39:12

Minty that fantasie one looks amazing but I'm not sure I can justify 70 quid on a swimsuit (given I'm not taking DH or the sprogs away with me either grin)

I hadn't thought about Marksies, I'll have a look there, I've had a squiz at simply be but I'm not feeling it.

I think I need somewhere that does proper scaffolding cup sizes or else I run the risk of looking like a sitting Buddha.

DianaT1969 Mon 20-Jun-16 21:39:50

Lots of choice online for fuller bust swimwear and I'd suggest trying a 40G - should equate to an 18 dress size but with good boob support. (I'm 34G bra & size 14-16 bottom - so have to buy 36ff swimwear to accommodate my lower half)smile

Brastop
Leia Lingerie
Airy Mary
Bravissimo
Simply Beach
Belle Lingerie
Ample Bosom

I find Brastop and Leia have the best reductions.

MintyChops Mon 20-Jun-16 22:49:47

I know, it's a shocking amount of money but everything else I tried seemed to flatten my norks into dustbin lids and skimped round my flabby tummy and arse!

Hufflepuffin Mon 20-Jun-16 22:51:54

Are you any good at hand sewing? I cut the built in bra out of a swimsuit and replaced it with an old bra - now have the perfectly fitting costume of my dreams! I can explain better how to do it if you're ok with a needle and thread.

MrsLouisTomlinson Mon 20-Jun-16 23:06:56

That sounds great, but I have the sewing equivalent of two left feet and three night shifts and a fiftieth birthday party to attend before flying early on Saturday morning. Thank you for the thought though!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 21-Jun-16 09:29:54

I think the problem with big boobs is that you'll be very lucky to get away with a non-bra-sized top even if you find matching bottoms you like.

I'm a 34HH and a 16 bottom and have bought these at the weekend:

Key West bikini top
Milani bikini top
La Redoute bikini bottoms
Superdry board shorts

I'm aware that none of that is especially cheap grin but my thinking was, I'm self conscious about my body so want to be comfy and look as good as I can, even if I don't wear the items much. The bikinis stretch so will have more longevity than you think, plus because they fit properly you can wear instead of a bra.

I was also thinking that one decent top plus cheap matching knickers would sort me out, but then I saw the board shorts and wanted them grin. I haven't taken any labels off though as I may return a top and the shorts.

DianaT1969 Tue 21-Jun-16 16:56:11

Felicia, I love all of them. They're exactly the type of stuff I go for and not over-priced IMO.
For those who feel exposed and hate the 'I'm walking around in my underwear feeling' board shorts, teamed with a bra size top or tankini, provide such a confidence boost.

JennyHolzersGhost Tue 21-Jun-16 21:07:19

Any chance of links for board shorts for the large of arse ?! grin

MrsLouisTomlinson Wed 22-Jun-16 03:08:54

Yeah I'm really liking the look of those board shorts but £35 is a bit out of my budget.

DianaT1969 Wed 22-Jun-16 06:57:48

I haven't bought from here, so don't know quality and customer service, but mandmdirect have larger size board shorts in various lengths for under £10.
http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/FQ1440/Board-Angels-Womens-AOP-Board-Shorts-White-Multi

http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/FQ1442/Board-Angels-Womens-Short-AOP-Board-Shorts-Turquoise-Multi

Other brands to search for, but I would guess go up to 16 in boardshorts are:
Roxy
O'Neil
Animal

Tkmaxx sometimes has Roxy stuff.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 23-Jun-16 20:23:45

Jenny - try Manterey at Debenhams.

Although I needed an XL in Superdry, the 12 fitted me there! Nice tropical prints and on sale now as well.

averythinline Fri 24-Jun-16 12:02:49

I got a fantasie tankini on eBay -lots of underwear sellers 2yrs ago was about 20£ then some control bottoms from Peacock which were a £10 .
The top was really worth it and I'm a ff cup post bra intervention ...nothing on the high st fitted ..m and s had padding in their boob tops..I really dont need more padding 😊

Statelychangers Fri 24-Jun-16 17:43:26

This is very flattering and I'll wear it with these.

SealSong Fri 24-Jun-16 18:00:17

Elomi do fantastic swimwear including gorgeous tankinis for the big boobed as they are proper bra manufacturers. The idea is that you wear the tankini over one of their swim bras, so you get excellent bust support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now