Please please help me find a wedding outfit!

(10 Posts)
ButterBeanSoup Mon 20-Jun-16 20:39:53

I've been invited to a wedding of one of my boyfriend's best friends. We've not been together that long, so have not met this couple. I want to make a good impression. The wedding is in August in rural-ish Ireland. "Traditional" is the general style, I believe.

I've seen photos of lots of other weddings that have been attended by him for his friendship group. I'd say that gorgeous, groomed, Ladies' Day-type attire is the standard.

I love clothes and always thinkmake an effort. I've been in London for about 12 years, however, and we just don't scrub up like the ladies of our home town do 😖.

I need some help! I can spend about £300 on the whole ensemble. I'm 5' 8", 12 to 14. I have long very dark brown curly hair, and dark olive skin.

Please help me find a "wow" outfit that helps me feel awesome in an anxiety-provoking situation. Please grin

Pinkcadillac Mon 20-Jun-16 21:24:54

I love this dress but I don't know if it's the kind of thing you have in mind

thefoldlondon.com/product/olympia-dress-forest-green/

OlennasWimple Tue 21-Jun-16 04:43:19

Church wedding?

What's your normal style?

Which bits of your body do you like to hide / show off?

Existing shoes / bags / hats you'd like to wear?

ButterBeanSoup Tue 21-Jun-16 15:27:18

Sorry, for late answer!

I'm 32 (if that's relevant?!), my standard attire is tea dresses and Chelsea boots/ saltwater sandals.

I am quite proportionate all over, but would rather not have a cleavage on display and nothing much above the knee!

Yes, it's in a Catholic Church.

Have pretty much nothing at the moment!

ButterBeanSoup Tue 21-Jun-16 15:28:02

Oh, but nothing long, too! So knee length basically!

WhiteHairReally Tue 21-Jun-16 16:41:06

What about a Bombshell dress?

www.bombshellhq.com/collections/sale

They have a sale on at the moment and if you look on the news section of their website there's a code for another 20% off.

They have silk versions as well as cotton and have sleeves and are long enough, which always helps to make you feel more 'ladylike'.

There should be enough left in the budget for a pair of 'Kate nude heels' not too high, to take account of walking on grass and your confidence, if you are used to wearing a pair of Saltwaters, and hat hire.

Good luck OP.

WhiteHairReally Tue 21-Jun-16 16:46:59

Oh, just seen you don't want cleavage on display. Never fear! The Bombshell is cut so that you can either go 'mildly provocative', as shown by the Marilyn Monroe lookalike on the website, (creating a V by tucking a fold of the dress front under one breast - sounds weird but they send you discreet instructions!) OR, wearing it more primly, ( no tucking) creating a demure sweetheart neckline.

ButterBeanSoup Tue 21-Jun-16 17:04:09

WhiteHairReally - those are BEAUTIFUL! Exactly my kind of thing. What would you wear by way of a wrap/ jacket etc?

WhiteHairReally Tue 21-Jun-16 18:47:19

Oh, I'm so glad you like them. I have two and they both make me feel really good when I wear them.

I admit that I wear one of these
www.marksandspencer.com/firm-tummy-control-lace-trim-wear-your-own-bra-full-slip/p/p22442604?image=SD_02_T33_1418_AX_X_EC_90&color=ALMOND&prevPage=plp

sort of thing underneath which keep's me quite warm....!

However, I did take a toning pashmina to a do, when I was wearing a Bombshell at weekend.

I also have a little waisted linenish jacket that goes over one of them, but I haven't actually worn it as a combo as yet.

seefeld Tue 21-Jun-16 20:37:22

Whistles have some great dresses for weddings and they're on sale:

www.whistles.com/women/sale/dresses/bluebell-print-organza-dress-22364.html?dwvar_bluebell-print-organza-dress-22364_color=White%2FMulti#prefn1=size&prefn2=subCategory&prefv1=12&prefv2=Dresses&start=1

www.whistles.com/women/sale/dresses/bonded-lace-dress-22271.html?dwvar_bonded-lace-dress-22271_color=Pink#prefn1=size&prefn2=subCategory&prefv1=12&prefv2=Dresses&start=1

www.whistles.com/women/clothing/dresses/double-dot-silk-dress-22707.html?dwvar_double-dot-silk-dress-22707_color=Multicolour#prefn1=size&prefn2=subCategory&prefv1=12&prefv2=Dresses&start=1

Sorry for long links!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now