Hairdresser - cash only inconvenience

(18 Posts)
Laceybean Mon 20-Jun-16 06:40:09

When I go to my local beauty and hair salon they insist on only cash for hairdressing. Beauty part takes cards though. Is it just me to feel that this is a total inconvenience? I don't carry that much cash these days. My daughter says it's because they rent a chair in the salon but I think that they probably fiddle their tax.

Cindy34 Mon 20-Jun-16 06:44:38

Cards cost money, though so does banking cash. Taking cards is more common now though but when my local hairdresser introduced it, prices did go up a little.

Glitterspy Mon 20-Jun-16 06:48:14

Our local butcher doesn't take cards. I doubt he's fiddling his tax. It's just far more simple and straightforward (and cheaper ) for him to run his business that way. He's a real traditionalist. Yes it's a pain remembering cash but it's not the end of the world !

FeckinCrutches Mon 20-Jun-16 06:51:07

Going to the cashpoint on the way is hardly a massive inconvenience. Card machines cost money. If I was just renting a chair I wouldn't bother either.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 20-Jun-16 06:53:31

Your daughter is right. At my local one they all hire chairs so they all operate as separate companies. They'd need a card machine (and till) each if they all accepted card sales so wouldn't work - plus it costs money to set up and process.

booksandchoc Mon 20-Jun-16 06:54:19

Paying by card means the business can wait up to a month to receive the money.

retainertrainer Mon 20-Jun-16 08:09:45

My hairdresser only takes cash and the thing I don't like is that she's always low on change and has to ask another stylist if they've got any which then makes me feel obliged to say 'oh don't worry,keep the change' which can be anything up to £5. I only ever go in for a quick trim. I really need to start taking the exact money but I often just stop at the cash machine on the way.

PollyCoddle Mon 20-Jun-16 08:11:15

Mine only takes cash, but will also let me do a direct bank transfer. Can you see if they will accept that? I agree- I hate getting out the wads of cash I need for highlights and usually forget anyway.

BikeRunSki Mon 20-Jun-16 08:16:08

My hairdresser prefers cash, especially for small amounts. The nearest cash machine is 2 miles away, I usually try and remember to get cash for her. She's a small business and I am happy to support her. I've known her since she was mobile, then opened her first small shop now a larger salon and beauty rooms.

NeckguardUnbespoke Mon 20-Jun-16 08:20:56

They are entitled to run their business however they like.

You are entitled to take your business elsewhere if you don't like it.

dementedpixie Mon 20-Jun-16 08:21:45

I get my eyebrows done at a place above a hairdressers who normally deals in cash. If you do pay by card she puts it through the hairdressers till and takes the cash from the register. Has only happened a couple of times as I do try to make sure I have cash in me for those visits

Trills Mon 20-Jun-16 08:26:02

I would find it more annoying if it were something where you go on a whim.

A hairdresser is a visit that you plan ahead, you know you are going and you know roughly how much it will cost, so I don't think it's a massive pain to have cash.

Statelychangers Mon 20-Jun-16 09:25:56

Prices charged to retailers by credit card companies were supposed to be coming down following pressure by the EU - who knows what will happen to card charges in the UK if we leave.

SaraC8 Mon 20-Jun-16 09:29:27

I'm a hairdresser and I promise you all hairdressers don't "fiddle our tax" wink We take cards in our salon but we aren't a small salon, as salon owners we needed the salon to take cards as most of our transactions are cards, but we have to wait for the money to come in and we have to pay out each week to all staff members any money they have taken which is more than their rent. Some salons will find this a a hassle so don't do it, and if they are renting chairs they can conduct their business how they would like. So not a tax fiddle hmm

itsbetterthanabox Mon 20-Jun-16 10:58:01

A lot of hairdressers rent space in a salon so are self employed. For a single person to have a card machine it would cost them and they may not see the benefit at the moment.
The first time might be annoying but you know now so when you've booked you know to have cash.

Laceybean Mon 20-Jun-16 13:39:49

Thanks for the curt reply, I was only asking .... shock

Laceybean Mon 20-Jun-16 13:41:12

That was meant for NeckguardUnbespoke

Laceybean Mon 20-Jun-16 13:43:37

Thanks everyone for your replies, didn't realise it was so commonplace so I will be more prepared in the future smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now