Repiercing ears

(14 Posts)
allegretto Sun 19-Jun-16 11:18:32

Twenty years ago I had my ears pierced but they kept on getting infected so after a couple of years I let them close up. I would like to try again with better quality earrings (as a teenager I wasn't interested in gold or silver, just rubbishy ones) not wondered if it's a good idea. You can still see where they were done before (just a spot) - can I have them pierced in the same spot? Any tips?

CiderwithBuda Sun 19-Jun-16 11:30:30

I did this. Went to a local piercing place. No problems.

Dancergirl Sun 19-Jun-16 11:41:34

I've just had one side repierced because the hole had stretched and changed position over the years. I went to a reputable piercing place, discussed positioning etc with the piercer and they used titanium earrings. No problems at all and it barely hurt!

OuchLegoHurts Sun 19-Jun-16 12:29:59

I had this done and no problems at all this time round! Just obviously go to a piercing place and not somewhere they use guns. My piercer told me that once there was a hole there ever, there is never a problem repiercing with the needle

Dancergirl Sun 19-Jun-16 12:31:48

ouch I was also going to have them done with a needle but at the piercing place I went to they recommended a gun surprisingly. They said the ear lobe was the only place ok for a gun.

allegretto Sun 19-Jun-16 14:45:00

Thanks - how do you know which is a reputable place?

MyCatWasRightAboutYou Sun 19-Jun-16 14:51:54

Don't go to any place that uses a gun. They can't be properly sterilised and cause blunt-force trauma. All piercings should be done with a hollow single-use needle.

Look for reviews online of places you're thinking of going to. Their portfolio should be available if they have a website. Steer clear of anywhere that seems low priced.

MyCatWasRightAboutYou Sun 19-Jun-16 15:00:42

Also titanium- implant grade G2 and surgical stainless steel are the best choices for piercings. smile You can wear gold, but not for longer periods of time.

OuchLegoHurts Sun 19-Jun-16 17:22:26

If it's worked out ok for you Dancer then that's great, but most proper piercing places won't even have a gun! It's a totally different practice and involves parting the flesh at such a high speed that it causes trauma to the skin. Mycat is right, the gun can't be fully sterilised either, a new needle is all the best places will use.

Dancergirl Sun 19-Jun-16 20:08:30

Well it's only been 8 weeks in and I haven't taken out the earrings yet, hope it will be ok. TBH, I was surprised about the gun but I checked this place out thoroughly and it had good online reviews etc and the piercer seemed to know what he was talking about.

Dd also had hers done at the same time. I know from previous experience with my older dd (who had hers done with a gun in a jewellers) that they seemed to be healing up ok but she had problems about 6 months down the line.

OuchLegoHurts Sun 19-Jun-16 23:05:08

Whatever you do, never pull the ring through the hole as this will bring tiny crusty particles from each side of the hole right into the hole and irritate it badly. If you're taking it out or changing earrings make sure you clean any crusty bits away first. I'm sure they'll be fine!

OuchLegoHurts Sun 19-Jun-16 23:05:43

Sorry that mostly applies to a ring rather than a stud

MustBeThin Sun 19-Jun-16 23:10:49

Might be a stupid question but have they definitely healed? I had my ears pierced as a child, took them out and then about 8 years later I wanted earrings in again and my mum managed to put them through. Mine never seem to heal, I can go years without wearing earrings and then put them in again.

allegretto Mon 20-Jun-16 11:16:09

Yes, definitely no hole now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now