School shoes from adult ranges

(16 Posts)
teacherwith2kids Sat 18-Jun-16 18:17:34

OK, the day has arrived. DS needs new school shoes, and at a size 11, he is now too large for these. He has worn the same style since starting senior school, and hates shopping with a passion.

He would like exactly the same again but bigger - tough rubbery soles, reasonably lightweight but indestructible, stands up to a walk of a mile each way to school plus typical playground football. Must be leather, need to accommodate very narrow ankles and be high and soft enough to cope with the strange bony lump on the top of his foot (actually, it may be normal, but he is v v v skinny so his bones are quite noticeable). His feet are normal width at the front but very, very narrow round the heel (I know, i said that before)

If they are made in sizes 11-say 13 or even larger, this might be a choice we never need to make again, just purchase again and again for the remaining 3 and a bit years of schooling....

Any suggestions? Must be normal shoes, not boots, and smart enough both for school and upcoming work experience. He usually has just school shoes + a pair of trainers so they get hard wear.

Melonrunner Sat 18-Jun-16 18:20:23

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26110305

Melonrunner Sat 18-Jun-16 18:22:32

www.clarks.co.uk/p/20358822

Melonrunner Sat 18-Jun-16 18:22:59

Clarks have loads actually but these two are quite similar to what he's been wearing

BikeRunSki Sat 18-Jun-16 18:24:00

Kickers are tough with a rubbery sole, but seem to stop at size 12.

Melonrunner Sat 18-Jun-16 18:24:55

Ignore the last link as its a wide fit.

This has narrow fit and standard

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26101874

freshprincess Sat 18-Jun-16 18:25:56

DS has something similar to these Really hard wearing, he's had them all year and would probably see him through most of next year if he doesn't grow out of them. Look pretty smart when polished up too.
Unlike the crap that are Kickers which his brother has.

Toffeelatteplease Sat 18-Jun-16 18:26:19

Kickers

teacherwith2kids Sat 18-Jun-16 18:34:44

Oooh, thanks! We will try Clarks again - rejected them when he was younger because their children's styles are so wide around the ankles.

Any specific ones of the Kickers range that might be durable? He obviously can't wear the classic boots...

Statelychangers Sat 18-Jun-16 18:35:10

DS has always worn Ricosta, which are fabulously hard wearing with thick soft leather on the outside and crucially on the lining too! But the HT has complained that they look too much like trainers so we are faced with a similar dilemma. He walks 3 miles to school and back so they need to be trainers in disguise. I find most school shoes to be repulsively ugly, don't understand the HT's lack of style wink and I have been too vocal about this and ds now feels the same way. ROD FOR MY OWN BACK!
I like those ECCO ones though....we have looked at Geox, which is our back up plan.

teacherwith2kids Sat 18-Jun-16 18:45:20

Ricosta, Geox, Rhino, Startrite ... oh how I wish you made shoes right up to the size that boys might be at school-leaving age....

Statelychangers Sat 18-Jun-16 19:10:28

These are the Geox ones we've been eyeing up - but they are a much cheaper £55 up to size 7!

teacherwith2kids Sat 18-Jun-16 19:14:42

Yes - at £90 a pair I'm not sure that I could bear watching him play playground football in them....

Toffeelatteplease Sun 19-Jun-16 06:58:18

All on the kickers range are durable. You probably want lo kick as opposed to the boots. Although you can probably find them cheaper on Amazon.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 19-Jun-16 07:01:15

To put it into context. DS is in primary and has SN. Clarks he destroys in half a term. He doesn't change out of kickers for PE because there have better support. His current pair of kickers has been going since early October.

teacherwith2kids Sun 19-Jun-16 10:47:28

Thanks. They only go up to size 11, though, so while a solution for the immediate next pair of shoes, he's still only in Y10 and growing massively, so anything that was also made up to e.g. size 13, as seems to be the case for most of the Clarks men's range, would be ideal.

Don't know where he gets it from - I have size 4.5 feet, DH has size 8s.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now