why does my foundation disappear after two hours?

(22 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sun 12-Jun-16 07:57:57

I use bourjois healthy mix or garnier bb as its moisturising for my dry skin. It always goes on well if I am well moisturised but then after a while it barely looks like I have put anything on my cheeks which are prone to redness!
Where am I going wrong? I don't like a very heavily made up look I prefer natural but would like to even out my skin tone. Where are people getting this make up that looks natural but stays all day?!

pouncehill Sun 12-Jun-16 08:05:12

A couple things can help with this.
1) a good quality primer (these are so worth the investment). My personal favourite is benefit porefessional and it helps your makeup stay put! You need to apply it under your foundation and leave it on for about 5 minutes before applying foundation

2) a powder over the top of your foundation

3) a setting spray, basically spritz it over your face, let it dry and it helps the makeup stay (I use one and I dyed my hair with makeup on and got water all over my face and my makeup stayed put)

keeponkeepinon Sun 12-Jun-16 08:35:34

Thanks pounce. I don't know where to start with primers, I once picked up a cheap one from George but it seemed to dry out my skin and so put me off. I also imagine them to be a bit like protect and perfect which I'm sure ussd to block up my skin and give me spots.

Again with powder, I try to avoid anything powdery as I'm convinced it will cling to any drier bits and look terrible. I know a woman who looks like her face will crumble she wears so much powder. What are thess translucent powders all about - maybe one of these is worth looking at?
Which setting spray did you use?
Thanks!

Blingygolightly Sun 12-Jun-16 08:53:25

A good quality primer shouldn't do anything to your skin but will keep foundation in place for 12 hours. I use Nars, and it's well worth the money not to worry about whether my make up looks the same at 5pm as it did at 8am. In winter, where I wear more makeup, I also tend to use the MAC eye and lip primers. I used to use the MAC face primer but the Nars one is better. I got these tips from the make up artist who did my wedding make up years ago. It was a hot summer day and the make up didn't move the whole day!

coveredinhopeandvaseline Sun 12-Jun-16 11:13:51

I have rosacea, this foundation disappearance used to happen to me too.
In the daytime I use benefit primer, Bourjois Healthy Mix or Clinique Even Better with a light buffing of bareMinerals Original on my cheeks and nose...make-up looks great all day.
For nights out, I use Double Wear Maximum Cover...which DOES.NOT.BUDGE! smile

msrisotto Sun 12-Jun-16 11:51:53

Benefit give out free samples of their primer - "pore perfect" or something like that. I went to a few make up counters and that was my favourite in the end anyway.

new5poundnote Sun 12-Jun-16 12:45:28

If you want to try a primer on the cheap then use Lanacane anti chafing gel! It's only around £5. I got that tip on here. Apparently the ingredients match those of the Smashbox primer which is very pricey. I use it and it works for me!

new5poundnote Sun 12-Jun-16 12:47:14

Otherwise my favourite is Too Faced Primed and Poreless, it makes your face feel like silk. I love it but it costs over £20. You can get it in Debenhams or Boots.

postmanpatscat Sun 12-Jun-16 13:34:43

Nivea for men shave balm is supposedly a good primer too!

Cakescakescakes Sun 12-Jun-16 13:54:03

The Smashbox Light primer is very good if you are break out prone. And I use the Bourjois Healthy Mix translucent powder. It's good for non cakey look.

CoolToned Sun 12-Jun-16 15:29:22

This is me. I have tried A LOT of foundation, and even the long lasting ones (Shiseido Synchro, Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk) break down within 2 hours. I have decided to stick to my favourite The Face Shop cc cream which also disappears but at least, it disappears evenly. However, I found out that said cc cream has been discontinued.

Story of my life.

I am afraid of primers. Won't that make me break out? I am not acne-prone.

msrisotto Sun 12-Jun-16 15:30:29

I am acne prone and primers don't affect me adversely at all.

pouncehill Sun 12-Jun-16 20:02:57

I use the maybelline 24hour setting spray which was about £7 and it's pretty good so far!

Diddlydokey Sun 12-Jun-16 20:08:01

Estee Lauder double wear light will change your life. Get a sample from boots.

I've had my double wear for a year and there's a good bit left but I don't think you'd like the finish.

FinalGirl Sun 12-Jun-16 20:19:27

I love Smashbox primer and Nars clear setting powder. I'm very acne-prone but have it under control and these are fine. One or the other with foundation unless it's going to be a very long day/evening.

PolaDeVeboise Sun 12-Jun-16 21:22:04

I've just started using the Avon Magifix Primer/Setting spray and it's BRILLIANT. I just use it as a primer and don't spray to 'set' and my face is still in place at the end of the day. Only @ £8 too!

Blueberryblueberry Sun 12-Jun-16 22:30:09

Estée Lauder Double wear foundation - it's amazing smile I have roseaca and was previously wearing Clinique which also appeared to disappear after a couple of hours leaving me red. I love this foundation! I pop a bit of Clarins beauty flash balm under and a bit of powder on the top. Currently using Chanel but generally find powders much for muchness. Probably a bit pricier than what you're currently wearing but sooooo worth it.

AbiOllieDex Wed 23-Nov-16 12:40:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sheepersfluff Wed 23-Nov-16 12:42:59

A higher end foundation is well worth it. Kat Von d lock it and ELDW are both good but my current favourite is nars sheer glow - expensive but it lasts forever. Make sure you leave at least 10 minutes between primer and foundation.

A cheaper foundation which is also very good is revlon colour stay - £12 and lasts forever. I was a devotee for years.

Sheepersfluff Wed 23-Nov-16 12:49:02

Also apply with a damp sponge not a brush - lighter more airbrushed finish.

GrendelsAunty Wed 23-Nov-16 16:45:14

I could have written the original post!
Is clarins beauty flash balm a good primer? I've got loads I was given in gift sets which I didn't know what to do with.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 23-Nov-16 19:34:59

I don't like primers, I find that a good setting spray has been the best thing ever.

I used Urban Decay All Nighter during the summer, and during a summer holiday where it was 30+ degrees everyday, my make up stayed in tact and looking good. I also have rosacea and my foundation just does not stay well.

I have just watched a Wayne Goss tutorial which has shown a technique of applying powder before foundation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now