Help me!!! I have a school reunion coming up!

(11 Posts)
StillMedusa Sat 11-Jun-16 23:01:31

I'm 48 and it will be the first time in 30 years that I have seen anyone from my school (girls only so all women there)

I live in jeans/hareem pants and t shirts as my job is a casual wear type. I have NO idea of style, don't wear makeup barring a little mascara.

I'm 5 ft 7 , size 10.. on the skinny side of 10. Growing out last summer's horrible short hair cut, so it is approaching a bob with longish side fringe. Also growing out colour..deliberately so have a white streak at the front and 7 months of natural brown streaked with grey and a few inches of old faded dye! Not the best timing but I fully intend to go grey as my natural hear feels so much nicer.

I want to look nice. We are meeting at a Premier Inn and going for a meal..about 40 of us. I don't even possess a dress and tbh wouldn't feel like me.. for me looking decent is usually nicer trousers and a soft linen shirt!
But I suspect some of the women will be VERY smart. I want to be comfortable but look stylish.

Im posting a pic of me so you can style me! (I'm the younger one grin with my lovely Mum)

HELP!!!!!!

LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jun-16 23:04:39

Well you're naturally slim and attractive grin

So just be you. You don't need to go frock and make up hunting if you're not going to bother wearing it again.

Honest, you look great

TheBestNamesAreTaken Sat 11-Jun-16 23:10:16

OP, you look great - great figure, posture, happiness & confidence exuding from you. You have all the right foundations (pardon the pun!) that the rest of us are faking with make-up. Just be the best/smartest version of you. Stick with the jeans if that suits you (or nicely tailored trousers if that helps you feel smart), lovely shoes, crisp white t-shirt & a blazer maybe? Modern, simple silver jewellery. Keep it relaxed and you'll feel relaxed. I always feel the difference between a slobby jeans & t-shirt and a more polished look is the cut & fit - keep it modern and a little more close fitting to highlight your shape & look fresh.

Have a lovely time.

PeaceNotPieces Sat 11-Jun-16 23:10:31

I think you look fab.

Wear what's comfortable so you can be you.

Don't dress in a dress and pretend that's you if it's not.

I'd want to sit and talk to you and I didn't go to school with you! You have nothing to prove.

Be you and be happy and confidant

StillMedusa Sat 11-Jun-16 23:30:07

Ah thank you.. really not fishing for compliments... I feel old, haggard, knackered and grey !
I like the jeans and blazer idea.. I could carry that off and still be ME.. any links or ideas for blazers? My jeans are usually Next as I'm not a shopper and theirs generally fit ok. What shoes? (I cant walk in heels, and live in skechers 'on the go ' loafers usually..they are not smart!

burnishedsilver Sun 12-Jun-16 01:02:21

Would you feel comfortable in a jumpsuit? This one is from next.

citychick Sun 12-Jun-16 03:02:12

I recently saw photos of our mini class reunion. I wasn't there, but most were in jeans and smart tops/ linen blazer/ colourful top and cardi.
Only one in a dress.

What I really noticed, apart from the smart casual appearances, was that no one had grey hair! I am sure there were a few strands around, but they were not visible to the camera. No one was plastered in make up. Everyone looked completely normal.

27years since we left school btw.

Enjoy your reunion!

Lucked Sun 12-Jun-16 03:15:46

You look great!

White or coloured jeans might be dressier than blue or the Boden richmond trouser.

3girlsunder3 Sun 12-Jun-16 13:18:00

I second Jeans and a nice top, be yourself you look great! Do you have any ankle boots ?

3girlsunder3 Sun 12-Jun-16 13:28:21

Have a great time. You look neither old, knackered, haggard or grey grin
Maybe black jeans with ankle boots???
Have pm'd you

BackforGood Sun 12-Jun-16 13:41:10

33 yrs since we left school.
We've met for a pub lunch annually for the last 13 yrs, and everyone just wears jeans / whatever they are comfortable in. No-one (who doesn't normally) wears make up or gets their hair done - we just go to chat and laugh. No-one wears a dress, high heels and make up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now