Letting Go of the Pixie (aka growing my hair) :)

(15 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 11-Jun-16 15:30:23

Since Easter when I had my last short crop, I haven't wandered towards the scissors.
Usually by week 5 I was getting hmm by week 6 , I was ready to shave it all off myself.
Made Note To Self to never ever go beyond week 6.

Partly because my hair is wavy and it was dyed/highlighted.
But now, it is hennaed and much better condition, it sits better (still wavy but not " 2 different postcodes" wavy grin

So in the inbetweeney weeks, I need to keep my seslve until it hets to the needing a tidy stage.
When I will book an appointment, go and have a consultation and go from there.

I can't do hairgrips or headbands.
No complex styling , no blow drying.
Hair needs to be off my face (which works ok with wavy hair) no fringes in my eyes.

<<Hardens Resolve>>

PacificDogwod Sat 11-Jun-16 15:33:07

Ha! 70, I am just in the process of collecting enough pixie photos to totally bamboozle my hairdresser when I next go to get my bra-strap length hair all chopped off grin

Go a google 'long pixie' or even 'long wavy pixie' - loads of ideas. It's THE hairstyle to have, dontcha know gringrin

But beware: hours can get lost gazing at hairstyle photographs…. hmmblush

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 11-Jun-16 17:53:53

grin once I have my glasses on, I'll get searching.
I did look at 'wavy pixie cut' which lead me into 'Best Short Hair for Older Women' (I;m 50), and a millionty pictures of Jamie Lee Curtis and her pixie hair.

Because we all look like JLC, don't we. once we're 50+. grin

PacificDogwod Sat 11-Jun-16 17:55:42

Because we all look like JLC, don't we. once we're 50+

Well, turning 50 did not work for me in that way, I have to say grin

Pissant Sat 11-Jun-16 17:57:28

ah - I am trying to grow out my pixie cut too.

So far I have been for two trims - trying to keep it 8/9 weeks apart instead of the 4 weekly short, short haircut.

Looking longer on top - but the back and sides are still v short.

Perhaps a hat for 6 months ? grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 11-Jun-16 18:04:32

The hat sounds tempting but my sweaty little menopausal head would say "No"
My scalp is fighting the clingfilm on my henna right now grin

I'm going to try longer top layers (maybe thin out a bit) and shorter sides/back.
That sounds a bit 80s but as long as it doesn't look mullet ...actually that's the opposite of mullet, I can do 80s again.

retainertrainer Sat 11-Jun-16 19:55:57

I've recently grown out a pixie. It took 12 months to go from crop to chin length bob. I tucked the sides behind my ears until they grew past them and when I went for a trim I only had length taken off the back otherwise you'll end up with a mullet.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 11-Jun-16 19:57:09

Another option is to go for trims, keeping the back short, cut into your neck and grow out the top and sides with the end target being an inverted wavy bob. Tucked behind ear can look great with longer sides.

Very relieved to find you didn't have a caged pixie in your house that you were letting go, that would have been cruel. grin

PacificDogwod Sat 11-Jun-16 20:44:09

Caged pixie grin

Apparently hair at the back of the head grows faster than the rest, so keeping the back trimmed while letting the top/sides sprout was how I outgrew my last pixie. But now I cannot wait for a new one grin

BreadSnakeFridayDog Sat 11-Jun-16 20:56:02

You are welcome to swap hair with me, I had a pixie cut 5 weeks ago and it's already long enough to tie into a "Pebbles from the Flintstones" style! And I NEVER want to grow mine out. Ever.

MadSprocker Sat 11-Jun-16 22:14:17

Another growing out the pixie. I am going back to bleached blonde to give some edge distract from the randomness as I grow out. Aim by next summer is a Taylor Swift style bleached blonde bob for an important work do of my husband's.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 11-Jun-16 22:54:46

Caged Pixie eh? Well that would explain the weird disappearance of the KitKats from the pantry, DS swears it isn't him ...grin

Yes, as long as I'm not mulletty , I can go for a shorter back, longer layers look, the weight once it grows out a bit will help to pull out the curly wavy bits (and a good dose of some product)

At the moment, I'm finding Lush R&B is good for making my hair behave though I;m not wild about the smell of it.
I have some mini straighteners, so I might have a practice with them.

Hobbes8 Sat 11-Jun-16 23:43:46

I've been considering a 90s Natalie Imbruglia in the Torn video type crop. I pulled it off in the 90s but I've naturally got a round face and I'm a lot bigger than I was back then, so I'm unsure. The problem is all Pinterest type photos are of beautiful women, so it's hard to work out how it would look on my very ordinary head.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 22-Jun-16 22:04:50

'Tis driving me batty at the moment, my hair is too long and scruffy , but not long enough to do much with,

I need to go to the hairdressers but not one that has the music at Disco Level , they won;t hear me.

If I ask for the sides and back to be cut short/shaped in and leave the top long......does that sound right?
Is that undercutting ? (I don't want to sound like I know what I;m talking about when I don't grin )
I can handle a dalliance back to the 80s, it was my era.
Just need to put make-up on.

WutheringShites Thu 23-Jun-16 07:29:48

I'm 6 months into growing one out. That added with the fact that I'm also growing out the brorange hue my hair developed has firmly ensured that 2016 is the year of bad hair!
Today I'm having my first trip to the hairdressers since Christmas. DH has been trimming the mullet that soon develops but the layers at the back have now grown too bushy to manage. Hopefully I'll keep the back short while the sides catch up, that's if I don't get tempted into having it all chopped off again today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now