Compulsive nail biting!

(6 Posts)
Trickymoments Sat 11-Jun-16 10:44:48

Any fellow.nail biters struggle to kick this horrid habit?
I have always bitten mine but in the past year for the first time ever I managed to grow them by having shellac applied constantly. They looked lovely and I didn't want to bite them and the hard finish of thr gel made it too difficult anyway.
I decided to have a break from the gels & managed to keep my own nails long & lovely for some time.

Then my anxiety & low mood returned and I nibbled them all off! The more I did it the more I felt compelled to do it. Now they look terrible and I feel even more anxious as it affetcts my self confidence.

I wish I could stop for good but it's like I have some weird compulsive addiction to doing it even though I know its awful.

Can any fellow or reformed biters offer any advice please?

JackandDiane Sat 11-Jun-16 11:47:02

i used to bite. I have gel type ones put on - only tips on 2 of the ten and the rest are all my own
I have never had such amazing nails

Trickymoments Sat 11-Jun-16 11:59:56

Thanks Jack what do you mean by tips, is that like extensions? How did you stop biting?
Shellac was definitely the answer for me but I was a bit worried about the effects of the UV from the lamp on my skin.

JackandDiane Sat 11-Jun-16 18:19:00

yes - ends to elongate the nail, glued on and your nail grows behind.
mI have a powder acrylic thing at a Vietnamese place. nails all fine underneath despite what everyone says

Girliefriendlikesflowers Sat 11-Jun-16 18:23:16

No advice but sympathy, I am a compulsive nail biter and have never found anything that works. I have sort of accepted it now though, the only time I have been able to grow my nails was when I was pregnant confused

2gorgeousboys Sat 11-Jun-16 22:19:22

I too can sympathise, a month or so ago I had nails that actually had a white tip for the first time ever but then DS started his GCSEs and I started nibbling again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now