Please dress me for a funeral? Quite urgent.

(17 Posts)
BreadSnakeFridayDog Fri 10-Jun-16 18:53:13

Funeral in just over a week. I have nothing suitable. I'd like a dress, preferably something I can wear again. I'm an hourglass ish 16 or 14 in some styles, 5ft3. Would prefer to cover my arms and wear flats.
I like the attached styles but does the lace look a bit too evening-y? The one with the collar isn't available in my size. And is the one with the floral skirt inappropriate for a funeral? That's not in my size either though.
Budget up to £40 I think, preferably less.
Please help!

YouSay Fri 10-Jun-16 18:57:21

The first one - 100%. The lace is too night out. Just re-read and see that this is next week and your size is out of stock. I will have a look.

Donthate Fri 10-Jun-16 19:09:23

This is in stock in your size and is £33. Not sure how fast delivery is.

Donthate Fri 10-Jun-16 19:10:18

You could wear a cardigan or get some of those arm things from m and s?

BreadSnakeFridayDog Fri 10-Jun-16 19:12:03

That's nice Donthate but maybe a bit plain? I also don't have a black cardie and would need to buy something which would take me over budget...

Fettuccinecarbonara Fri 10-Jun-16 19:17:55

Evans have got some lovely ones in on their website, from £25-45

Long arms, wrap around a. They all look nice.

Floisme Fri 10-Jun-16 19:23:12

The one with the collar looks fine and it's a shame it's out of stock. I'd say not the lacy or floral one. The main thing is to wear something that's reasonably smart but instantly forgettable. You want people to remember afterwards that you were there but not what you were wearing. Plain is good! It doesn't have to be black - any dark colour will do.

This is all assuming there's been no special request by the family.

I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope it goes well.

Donthate Fri 10-Jun-16 19:28:05

Also look on asos type "black dress sleeve" and lots come up. I have a plain dark navy "funeral" dress. Smart, inoffensive, not too short nothing unusual about it. Sorry for your loss, hope the funeral goes as well as it can do

RebelRogue Fri 10-Jun-16 19:32:53

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=182027978189&globalID=EBAY-GB

Fingermoose Fri 10-Jun-16 19:33:33

This is quite nice from asos but only in a 16. It looks a bit short but the model is 5 ft 8 so would be longer on you.

RebelRogue Fri 10-Jun-16 19:34:18

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291705669158&globalID=EBAY-GB

Similar to what you like but no long sleeves.however given the price could you add a black cardie or bolero?

ilovecherries Fri 10-Jun-16 19:55:04

I have the Scarlett and Jo one with the lace collar. I don't think it's too evening-y. It's not a soft lacey-lace, more a crocheted cotton. Having had a look at mine, the collar will actually tuck inside fairly easily, if you really don't like it - but it's certainly not fancy.

ilovecherries Fri 10-Jun-16 20:00:33

If you are on the S and J site, the other one I'd suggest looking at it is the knot front dress. They do it in black and navy - I have the navy and it's very comfortable and sits really well. (And have just realised we were talking at cross purposes about the lace on the other one - I thought you were asking about the cream lace collar, but having looked at the other picture, realise you probably weren't!)

BreadSnakeFridayDog Fri 10-Jun-16 20:03:37

Rebel your first eBay link came up as a bikini! Love the second though, that's very me. Also Fingermoose I have just been looking at your asos one before you linked it! I love that it's very classy, and could definitely be worn again.
Thank you all, this is very much appreciated I'm a bit of a disaster area when it comes to clothes and this is obviously something I have to get right. I will have "smart but forgettable" in my head.

RebelRogue Fri 10-Jun-16 20:06:57

Ooops my bad.meant this one

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=391406631323&globalID=EBAY-GB

Definitely do not wear a bikini at the funeral confusedconfused

RebelRogue Fri 10-Jun-16 20:11:09

http://www.boohoo.com/midi-dresses/may-scuba-cutaway-neckline-midi-dress/invt/azz08342

ManonLescaut Fri 10-Jun-16 21:07:58

I think if you're 14-16 anything with a nipped waist is not very flattering.

I normally can't stand Boden, but this dress is very flattering.

I've also been looking for funeral dresses, and my sister just bought this. She's a size 12 - 14.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now