Facial suncream- please recommend!

(27 Posts)
Howaboutthisone Fri 10-Jun-16 12:45:10

I want one that can be worn alone on holidays and also under make up for days out.
I've heard antihelios? And biotherma? mentioned on here I think but not sure which ones specifically.
I'd like at least an SPF of 30 and really good uva protection too.
My skin is sensitive at times and I do feel the heat (read- get a bit sweaty!)
Which would you recommend?

peasofcake Fri 10-Jun-16 12:46:27

If money is no object then dermalogica solar defence booster is wonderful. Factor 50 and I don't ever feel like I have suncream on.

CaseInPoint Fri 10-Jun-16 12:48:11

I use clinique oil free city block factor 40. It's fab.

Howaboutthisone Fri 10-Jun-16 14:23:38

The dermalogica one looks really impressive. I am tempted but it is a bit more than I was hoping to spend. Does it last a while? Any other suggestions for similar but a little less pricy?
I've used the Clinique city block 25 in the past. I do like it but it's strange as some years it agrees with me and others it breaks me out.

Talisin Fri 10-Jun-16 14:42:24

Biore Perfect Face Milk if you are oily of face or Biore Watery Essence if you're drier. They work and they are brilliant under makeup.

Howaboutthisone Fri 10-Jun-16 15:19:16

I'll have a look at those now. I've never used any biore before.

peasofcake Fri 10-Jun-16 15:46:12

I would say I buy one a summer but that's without a foreign holiday so would probably get through 2 if you had a holiday too.

AdoraKiora Fri 10-Jun-16 16:28:22

My absolute favourite is Biore watery essence (can get it on Amazon easily). Its Korean, SP50, not chalky or greasy at all.

Laquila Fri 10-Jun-16 16:33:41

I used to love Clinique City Block but used to find the tinted one makes me shiny now. Is there a clear/non-tinted one?

Superdrug do an excellent own-brand facial SPF30 that I keep in my nappy bag - I've got pretty sensitive skin and I'm fine with it. It does leave me a tiny bit greasy though.has anyone use LRP Hydraphase UV cream or Avene Hydrance UV cream?

nickEcave Fri 10-Jun-16 17:17:53

I use Boots Soltan sensitive face SPF50. Very reasonably priced and absorbs well - everything I'd ever tried before gave me spots. I don't wear foundation on top though, just concealer.

Toxicity Fri 10-Jun-16 17:28:12

There is a Clarins one you can wear under make up, its spf and I really like it. I never believed an spf would feel comfortable under foundation but this one really does.

AuntieMaggie Fri 10-Jun-16 18:25:19

I was told not to wear clinique city block for sitting out in the sun so may not be so good on holiday...

I'm looking at getting the la roche Posay Anthelios ultra light after several threads on here recommended it

specialsubject Fri 10-Jun-16 18:35:01

given the astronomical price of the city block (£45 per 100ml on one site I saw), buy some normal sunscreen for your holiday, for one tenth the price even if you don't get a special offer.

I like the Ambre Solaire sports stuff, non-gooey, only a slight smell and proper UVA/UVB protection.

Julius02 Fri 10-Jun-16 18:45:58

I use La Roche Posay Anthelios factor 50 and it's brilliant. I'm very fair and freckly and my face doesn't burn. I also have oily skin but it doesn't bring me out in spots. I use it instead of regular moisturiser in the summer months.

Julius02 Fri 10-Jun-16 18:47:15

I've also recently bought a tinted version of Anthelios which is nice for days when I don't want to wear any make up.

hollieberrie Fri 10-Jun-16 18:51:05

I just did a week in hot sunny Greece using antihelios and it was great. I have oily skin but it wasn't greasy (i got the dry touch gel) and I didn't burn at all or get any brown sun marks (am prone to these). Just came back with a little bit of colour on my face smile

Howaboutthisone Fri 10-Jun-16 19:29:05

I'll have a look at the antihelios gel now. Thanks!

phoolani Fri 10-Jun-16 19:37:09

I used to swear by Clinique city block, but I've since switched to the Clarins factor 50 and it's much better. Feels like a moisturiser itself.

Howaboutthisone Fri 10-Jun-16 19:41:50

There are a few antihelios- light/gel/matte etc. Which is the best or does it just depend on skin type?

AuntieMaggie Fri 10-Jun-16 20:36:23

I tried the light in boots and it was really light and absorbed quickly - couldn't tell I'd put anything on

Notreallyawaitress Fri 10-Jun-16 21:00:36

I like the antihelios matte tinted gel - pretty good coverage so no need for make up. I have rosacea and it doesn't irritate at all.

hollieberrie Fri 10-Jun-16 21:53:04

I have this one:
www.boots.com/en/La-Roche-Posay-Anthelios-XL-Anti-Shine-Dry-Touch-SPF50-50ml_1326915/

I chose it cos i read somewhere it was one of the best for oily skin and normal suncream leaves my face sooo greasy.

hollieberrie Sat 11-Jun-16 08:33:50

www.theguardian.com/fashion/2016/may/07/best-lightweight-facial-sunblock-beauty-sali-hughes

This article is helpful - the comments too, people have good suggestions about what theyve used and liked.

Howaboutthisone Sat 11-Jun-16 08:46:14

That's great- thanks!

Howaboutthisone Sat 11-Jun-16 14:28:38

I've gone for the antihelios extra light fluid SPF 50 (£11 on FeelUnique). Have also ordered a beauty box from Marks which has a sunsense face SPF 30 one in so will be interested to try that in this country too.
Thanks for all the suggestions and links.
Think I'll save up for the demalogica one for next summer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now