Curly girl/co cleansing but scalp is really dry, itchy and flaky

(9 Posts)
DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Tue 07-Jun-16 22:53:55

I've been doing the curly girl routine for the last 6 months now and loving how my hair looks and feels smile However, my scalp is very dry, itchy and flaky. Definitely not dandruff, just dry scalp. I've tried a few different co cleansers and conditioners but nothing makes a difference. I always give a good scrub when washing. Tried soaking in olive oil for an hour but that did nothing. The only thing that seemed to work was a honey and lemon mask, but it lightens my hair so can't use it too much. How can I moisturise my scalp? I'm sick of scratching and looking like I have fleas confused

josedgie Tue 07-Jun-16 23:08:57

Shea Moisture Purification Masque

I haven't used this specific product, but I have been using their 'Fruit Fusion' range and I really like it.

Auburn2000 Wed 08-Jun-16 09:26:58

Have you tried a sugar scrub? Google 'curly girl sugar scrub' for recipes. Usually a mix of brown sugar and conditioner. They have worked in the past for my dry scalp.

thundermoon Wed 08-Jun-16 11:09:45

Coconut oil is your friend - massage a small amount into your scalp, leave for a few hours (or overnight if poss) and wash out when you wash your hair. Your scalp might feel oily/greasy while the oil is on but should be fine once you have co-washed!

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Wed 08-Jun-16 11:26:03

Ooh I've spotted those shea moisture products in boots and been tempted but wasn't sure if they were cg friendly. Good to know that they are. Might splurge and treat myself smile

Will definitely try the sugar scrub and if that doesn't work I'll give the coconut oil a go. Thanks!

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Thu 09-Jun-16 08:26:02

The overnight coconut oil has definitely not worked sad I guess next step is the sugar scrub. The itch is driving me mental confused

CurbsideProphet Thu 09-Jun-16 08:31:07

I have dermatitis on my scalp unfortunately. Is there dry skin behind your ears? That is usually a sign. I have to use an expensive medicated shampoo but I use a Giovanni conditioner, so my curls still look really glossy and healthy.

Auburn2000 Thu 09-Jun-16 12:44:11

OP - maybe something in your conditioner or hair product is causing build up on your scalp? Can't post links, I'm afraid, but have a look at a blog called 'science-y hair blog' - it has loads of info about ingredients, build up, hair types and routine. It is very technical though (for me, anyway!). Good luck.

RaarSaidTheLion Thu 09-Jun-16 13:28:38

Dr Haushcka Neem Lotion works for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now