Minimum effort makeup? Also mascara recommendation?

(11 Posts)
Doodlekitty Mon 06-Jun-16 15:04:22

Hi all
Been on maternity leave so away from work for a while. Before I left I never wore makeup. I have excema and my skin hatesoft makeup.
However, my work is much more a 'high maintenance' kind of place. Most women have false nails, hair extensions etc. I'm not going to go there but I would love to look more 'polished' but need minimum effort.
So, I've stated getting facial waxing and eyebrow tinting. I've found a bb cream I can actually wear. I've bought a lip stain figuring this won't need topping up. I'm after recommendations for a good mascara and any other tips on what I can do to look polished while wrestling 2 kids and a dog out the door.

Thanks

Glamorousglitter Mon 06-Jun-16 15:08:15

I am loving Kiehls bb foundation, there s an SPF 50 in it, it goes on nicely and conditions the skin, my skin tone honestly has improved wearing it -got it about 5 days ago.

I m interested in the mascara recommendations- currently using benefit they re real, I like it, but it takes a lot to remove it. But happily I haven't ended up with panda eyes from it and have worn it swimming with out any problems.

Also I use 2000 calorie mascara - think it s rimmell?!

Glamorousglitter Mon 06-Jun-16 15:10:56

I also like to line the eyes lightly, with black or dark brown - I do a full
Thin line on the top lid and extend it slightly out at the edge like asos it s a continuation of the bottom lid line, I line the bottom lid but only 1/2 of it.

If i m wearing eye shadow I will just use a gold/ taupe on the lid for daytime, for evening I ll put a darker colour at the edge with the taupe,

Glamorousglitter Mon 06-Jun-16 15:11:56

For cheap but very good eyeliners i like n y X brand- have found them longer lasting than Chanel pencils !

Cakescakescakes Mon 06-Jun-16 15:14:39

Use an eyelid primer. Sounds ridiculous for a minimal look but it keeps my eyeshadow on all day without creasing which makes me look more polished I think and I don't have to worry about re applying etc. I use a Laura Mercier one in a pale neutral colour then use a neutral beige slight shimmer eyeshadow over the top. A little eyeliner and some mascara and good to go!

mrsmortis Mon 06-Jun-16 15:29:53

Try using a dark brown mascara instead of a black one. The effect is more natural. If you like Benefit then their BadGal one might be for you. It's not as extreme as the They're Real.

jobrum Mon 06-Jun-16 15:56:26

Try a tubing mascara, no7 do one and there's a l'oreal. They don't rub off no matter how much you rub your eyes and come off with warm water. You won't have to worry about smudged mascara.

I always find a little bit of blusher does wonders just to make my face look finished (especially as I just wear a smidge of foundation, mascara and tinted lip balmmost days) and definitely more awake!

LadyMonicaBaddingham Mon 06-Jun-16 16:15:51

I use a BB cream on my T zone, quick dust of powder, then a mushroomy-coloured eyeshadow and my beloved Maybelline Great Lash mascara. I use a pinky-brown lip crayon thay stays on for ages. I definitely feel more soignée when I'm wearing perfume, so i have a light floral one for daytime and a stronger scent for evenings.

Kennington Mon 06-Jun-16 16:27:43

Agree no7 gold tubing mascara is great for a natural done/undone look.
Add an illuminator to look fresh too.

Doodlekitty Tue 07-Jun-16 13:08:08

Thanks guys. Loving the tips and tubing mascara sounds fab.

BayLeaves Tue 07-Jun-16 13:25:23

Here's what works for me: identify 2 or 3 makeup items that are essential for you based on your skin, preferences, insecurities etc, and anything else beyond those things is non essential and only used on days you have a couple of minutes extra time for putting on makeup. Basically have a kind of hierarchy of makeup importance in your head so if you're in a real hurry you can just pick 1-3 things and do the rest in the bathroom when you get to work etc if you feel like it and have time.

For example, I'm deathly pale and people think I'm ill if I don't wear blusher and lipstick. So those are the two items I must apply before leaving the house. Most days I have enough time to wear foundation as well, which I also consider essential as I have mild hormonal acne so this covers up any redness.

Anything other than foundation, blusher and lipstick is just a bonus extra for me on the days I have time. Usually I do add a bit of eyeliner and mascara when I've got time, but I wouldn't feel naked without it.

For you it might be different, e.g. if you want to fit in with all the heavily made up colleagues you might prioritise eyeliner, mascara and lipstick instead of foundation, lipstick and blusher.

One last tip from me is to make sure you always wear a good moisturiser and if you suffer from anything like acne get that sorted out at the doctor, and if you have dark eye circles etc think about the cause such as vitamin deficiencies or lack of sleep. If you have good clear, healthy skin to begin with that saves a tonne of time as you don't then need to spend ages trowelling on layers of primer, foundation, highlighter, concealer etc to cover up bad skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now