Shower gel recs please!

(16 Posts)
Indecisivejo Mon 06-Jun-16 08:27:52

Can anybody recommend me a shower gel please, it needs to be gentle and not highly fragranced. I'm getting little red spots on chest n back so think I need something new! Also something that's not gonna make me tight and itchy cos I'm very sensitive! Tia

bibbitybobbityyhat Mon 06-Jun-16 08:39:24

I suggest you go back to soap, a posh triple milled or hand made one, or vegetable or glycerine. The Body Shop fruity ones are nice (or used to be anyway). Shower gel nearly always contains SLS to make it foam up and that stuff is toxic!

hollyisalovelyname Mon 06-Jun-16 08:46:05

Elave doesn't have nasties in it.

MackerelOfFact Mon 06-Jun-16 09:49:24

Aveeno body wash is lovely and gentle, that's what I use when my eczema flares out of control.

Little spots on your chest and back though might be a heat/sweat rash or an allergy to a sunscreen or laundry product?

Indecisivejo Mon 06-Jun-16 10:00:26

I struggle using soap in the shower, I always drop it and it ends up taking me much longer than with a shower gel sad am I doin something wrong?!
I don't get on with aveeno for some reason either grrrrrr!

MackerelOfFact Mon 06-Jun-16 10:17:40

I think the trick with soap is to use a shower puff thing and lather it up on there, rather than trying to drag the slippery bar of soap over your body.

I like soap but it can be very drying - I only use it on my armpits and sweaty areas. Plus is does make cleaning the bathroom a bit of a chore, scrubbing all the soap scum off.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 06-Jun-16 11:29:12

Elave OP.
Very gentle , no nasties.
I think it's made for people with excema.
It's made in Ireland- family company so no big multi national advertising / PR budget.
I know they have it in Boots in Ireland not sure re UK. But they could get it for you I'm sure.
Disclaimer- I am not involved/ connected with Elave company or the family that own it in any way.
I just think it's a very good range of products for those who have sensitive skin.

notagiraffe Mon 06-Jun-16 11:32:08

Have you tried Sanex? It's very gentle. I like the Kids version, though it is scented (quite sweet and fresh) but they do a sensitive skin unscented version too.

NannyR Mon 06-Jun-16 11:36:55

I use neste dante soap, lovely subtle fragrances and very few ingredients to irritate skin. I lather up a washcloth then wash with that, afterwards just shower off the shower screen and tiles with clean water and that sorts out the soapscum issue.

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Mon 06-Jun-16 11:56:34

Second vote for sanex! I have sensitive skin but no problems with this - although if my skin is extra dry I use this for the areas that you want to "soap" and then aqueous cream for arms, legs and body - it works wonders!

cressetmama Mon 06-Jun-16 12:14:45

Not so easy to find in the UK but Bioderma Atoderm is very gentle and comes in a vast bottle for not much money in Europe. Otherwise, I'd second Sanex. The Nesti Dante soaps are lovely, but the bars are so big I chop them in half.

Indecisivejo Mon 06-Jun-16 13:45:25

I will have a look for elave...is it one of those emollient type ones? If so I can't stand them!
Sanex is the equivalent of washing up liquid on me it makes me so itchy and dry! All of them! sad

hollyisalovelyname Mon 06-Jun-16 20:13:09

Elave is like normal shower gel. Just no nasties or perfume.
They do all different things in the range.
Shower gel,shampoo, body lotion etc.

fiorentina Mon 06-Jun-16 20:30:27

I love the Korres ones when they are on offer! Smell delicious, and don't irritate my skin.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 06-Jun-16 20:43:20

I just opened this thread to say Korres. Most shower gel gives me thrush, so I stock up when ASOS have a deal on - they do packs of two for £8. I have a nice wee stash in different flavours in the hall cupboard.

Acopyofacopy Mon 06-Jun-16 20:53:42

Try something SLS free like Moogoo or Faith in Nature. Johnson's baby wash in the yellow bottle and the baby bath in the orange bottle don't contain SLS, either.

I'm afraid that Korres, Sanex and a lot of others do contain SLS and find their advertising quite misleading! The fact that it says sensitive on the tin sadly doesn't mean anything at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now