Sunscreen/ primer with spf

(11 Posts)
ImYourWomanJonSnow Sun 05-Jun-16 09:54:04

I must have spent a fortune already this (non-)summer trying to work out sun protection + makeup conundrum. Tried tinted sunscreens (lrp comfort and balance me - both oil slick face) or putting sunscreen under foundation (used paulas choice and clinique fluid things). The latter worked ok under my old foundation (Givency teint couture) but the new foundation, which maches my skin tone better (Laura Mercier candleglow) is more sheer coverage and liquid so the foundation kind of stays on top, doesn't blend nicely and the whiteness of the sunscreen underneath comes through so I look like a corpse and decidedly Unsummery. So before I fork out on yet more product please tell me what works for you. I'm thinking a primer with spf is way to go but do they actually work as sun protection?

andadietcoke Sun 05-Jun-16 09:59:32

There was a Sali Hughes column a few weeks ago and she suggested a Murad one or Aveda. There were a couple of others too.

Cult Beauty sent me an email last week about a fixing spray with spf in that you spray over makeup. I think this might be exactly what I'm looking for!!

Tralala33 Sun 05-Jun-16 10:02:41

I recently bought this from The Body Shop. I really like it. SPF 50 and has been a great primer. It's not heavy or greasy. m.thebodyshop.co.uk/h5/products?path=%2Fshop-by-range%2Fview-all%2Fskin-defence-multi-protection-essence-spf50.aspx

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Sun 05-Jun-16 10:31:07

I had this problem last year and was recommended Neostrata SPF 50, which is a tinted physical sunscreen that acts like a primer. It's fantastic - no whiteness at all, and makeup goes on beautifully on top.

lunagrace Sun 05-Jun-16 10:37:03

I use one from super drug especially for face, it's up to 50spf and is non pore blocking and mattifying, it's really good for how reasonable it is (about£3.99)

nothingwittyhere Sun 05-Jun-16 10:37:57

I'm using the Body Shop one as a summer moisturiser. Leaves my combination skin very smooth and makeup goes on very well. Very pleasant to use although I imagine dry skin would need a moisturiser underneath.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Sun 05-Jun-16 11:51:41

andadietcoke I love the idea of the fixing spray, you can reapply. Genius! If you get it let us know how you get on with it.

I wish you could get tiny samples of products to try before committing to upward of £20 purchses that end up at the back of the cupboard. My problem with both fluid lightweight sunscreens I have is they don't work with the fluid lightweight foundation iyswim. It's almost like it needs something thicker underneath.

I'll head off to the bodyshop to check out the recommended products. blair do you get neostrata online only?

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Sun 05-Jun-16 12:00:04

The site I linked is where I buy it from - I think it's a US brand, so yes, online only here. I totally know what you mean about samples! I've been through so many sunscreens... at least you can relegate them to neck/chest/hands.

FlindersKeepers Sun 05-Jun-16 12:00:05

Laura Mercier protect primer is ok, but Bioderma Eau de Soin is the spray stuff. It is great! Boots or online.

FlindersKeepers Sun 05-Jun-16 12:03:45

Take your LM foundation back to the counter and ask for a sample or demo of the protect primer to go under it - they also often sell a smaller size in their primers.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Sun 05-Jun-16 12:11:45

Thanks finders I was planning on doing that tomorrow too on my round of the shops. The LM primer seems to have good reviews, But it's factor 30, I thought I should be going for 50+ in the summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now