Shoe repairs - worth it?

(8 Posts)
daisyring Sat 04-Jun-16 12:00:48

I have just paid £26 to have some office wear shoes re-heel tipped, soled and polished up at a well known shoe repair chain and they now look more knackered than the day I took them there. Bearing in mind that I think I paid £70 for them when new and had 12 months or so total wear out of them, I have decided that it is not worth it. Does anyone repair/re-heel shoes these days or do I have a throw-away attitude?

Floisme Sat 04-Jun-16 12:18:16

I get all mine re-heeled once a year. I pay about £15 a pair and I think it's worth every penny as I wear them down very quickly.

VulcanWoman Sat 04-Jun-16 12:26:27

I started a thread about this the other day, thought I was being ripped off. I pay £8.50 for re heel, I have some really comfortable shoes that I've had re heeled about 5 times. You'll just have to work out whether it's paying you or not, better for the environment though.

senua Sat 04-Jun-16 12:28:10

It depends. I have difficulty finding shoes so I tend to hang on to old favourites - especially the expensive ones - and get them re-heeled etc ("shoes worth wearing are worth repairing"). I usually get steel tips to make them last extra-long.

Here's a tip OP: shoes last longer if not worn everyday, you need to rotate them round. Buy more shoes!!!grin

Floisme Sat 04-Jun-16 12:30:25

Sorry got it wrong - my £15 is for a resole as well as re-heel

louloubelle2 Sat 04-Jun-16 12:53:19

It is worth it, but you've been ripped off at £26. Go to an independent cobblers next time, you'll get much better service for less money.

I also think it's tragic how few people clean their shoes, I mean properly clean with polish, brush and cloth. This alone will lengthen the life of your shoes and help you spot when they need a re-heel or re-sole before it's beyond repair.

BeauGlacons Sat 04-Jun-16 12:55:11

Good quality leather shoes yes.

VulcanWoman Sat 04-Jun-16 12:57:55

I second the polishing too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now