Black skinnies that stay black

(19 Posts)
TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 03-Jun-16 09:48:48

DD has been wearing black skinnies to school this term - I wasn't convinced initially but on looking at them, she's right, they all wear them. Unfortunately the H&M ones she got faded to scruffy grey very quickly. I've redyed but they're grey again after a couple of washes. Can anyone recommend size 6 or 12-13 black skinnies for a very slim child (ie no Primark - they just fall down) that will stay fairly black and new looking for a while?

DurhamDurham Fri 03-Jun-16 09:55:49

I buy the H&M ones, they do eventfully fade but stay black for longer than other brands.
I always wash them inside out and with non-bio powder.

They all fade to grey in the end, it's inevitable smile

JackandDiane Fri 03-Jun-16 09:57:13

my h and m ones better than gap although gap look better style wise
I use the Dylon machine dye after a while - loads fo threads on this

i LOVE dyeing

AncoraAmarena Fri 03-Jun-16 10:26:20

The black Molly ones from River Island are great, haven't faded a bit, regularly worn and are a year old now.

Fairylea Fri 03-Jun-16 10:31:20

I know it's horribly non eco friendly but I just buy dd primark ones for £7 and replace them when they're faded - she is 13 and wears a women's size 6. I think they all fade terribly, dh wears black skinny jeans for men too and he's worn everything from £60 ones to primark and they all fade!

TimetohittheroadJack Fri 03-Jun-16 10:43:32

I'd second the Molly ones from River Island, although they are quite big made so not sure if they would do a small enough size (a size 12 fits me and believe me, I ain't that slim!)

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 03-Jun-16 10:48:39

What dye did you use? I've used Dylon washing machine dye on black jeans (inspired by a thread on here!) and I was really pleased with the result. It lasted ages too, though I wasn't wearing them every day so I suppose I washed them less frequently.

rollonthesummer Fri 03-Jun-16 10:50:26

They all fade in the end! Try not to wash them too often!

How does the Dylan machine dye work? Does it go in the drum? Does in not dye all your next white load black?!

Abominablebride Fri 03-Jun-16 10:53:14

Another Dylon fan. I always just do a boil wash on a tea towel or cloth after using it to remove all traces from machine

MadameDePomPom Fri 03-Jun-16 10:54:22

Yep I'm all about the Dylon too.

JackandDiane Fri 03-Jun-16 10:59:01

I do a bleach wash. Run a cloth around this inside too. Never an issue. Loads of threads in archives

DivaDroid Fri 03-Jun-16 11:04:04

New Look high waisted super skinnies - wear mine all the time, not faded yet.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 03-Jun-16 11:53:19

Great, thank you - will get her to try on the RI ones and New Look.

It's Dylon I've used but it faded even quicker than expected. Might double-dose next time. The H&M ones are a great fit but look really tired after just a few washes (I'm washing them once a week, and we have two pairs).

SweatLikeAPigLookLikeAPig Fri 03-Jun-16 14:22:11

Whilst expensive, I found the only ones not to fade are Topshop. They last an age too...

velourvoyageur Fri 03-Jun-16 17:30:12

My favourites are Levis, I wear size 25 super skinny which I think is a size 6? Absolutely love them, my best jeans, they look like new and I've worn them loads. Think were about £90....but if you put them on eBay after she's outgrown them, they'll definitely sell!

CointreauVersial Fri 03-Jun-16 18:06:41

You need a bit of polyester content in them to reduce the fading - any which are 100% cotton (or cotton/lycra) will fade.

Look for the slightly thinner, stretchier type - jeggings, for example.

The best I've had for non-fading were from New Look.

yeswehavenobananas Fri 03-Jun-16 19:18:30

Whistles, the elastane-y ones.

YaySirNaySir Sat 04-Jun-16 07:31:59

I agree with New Look super skinny. They stay tight and haven't faded, although I tend to wear them mostly for going out (at least weekly) and only wash them when I have to.

mayhew Sat 04-Jun-16 17:24:39

Wash inside out to minimise fading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now