Quality or quantity?

(16 Posts)
Openup41 Thu 02-Jun-16 23:34:42

I am on the upper side of 30 and would like to change my look. I tend to shop in the same shops as I did 20 years ago - no joke!

I shop in New Look, H&&M, Dorothy Perkins and TK Maxx.

I would like to look more 'put together' especially when at work. Problem is my budget only allows for £50-60 a month on clothes. We are saving up for a number of things as a family so clothes budget was the first thing we cut.

Do I save for four months and buy a few quality pieces or continue spending £10-15 per item each month and wonder why they rarely last until the following season.

My ideal shops are Reis, Ted Baker, All Saints, French Connection, Whistles and Gap. Obviously I have only ever looked and never touched!

chanie44 Thu 02-Jun-16 23:57:49

I think most shops have good and bad quality items and the trick is to pick the best items from each store.

From reading the beauty board, the consensus seems to be;

It's worth spending on a nice coat, bag and shoes.

Dress for your shape, not what's I fashion.

Neutral colours won't go out of fashion.

Focus on getting items that fit you well.

Summerdays11 Fri 03-Jun-16 07:27:10

What look are you wanting ? I like blazer too and jeans . Blazers the soft type can be washed and worn from new look

Hopefully Fri 03-Jun-16 07:38:24

I think there's a balance to be had. I prefer quality over quantity, but that has led, more than once, to an absolutely impractically tiny wardrobe, because I don't have an unlimited budget. I have to force myself, every couple of months, to stock up on basics from H&M etc, then in between get perhaps one or two nicer items

In an ideal world I would eventually shift over to buying entirely nicer items, but when I have neglected the 'budget' end, I find I wear out the nicer items I have way too quickly, as they are being constantly worn because there aren't enough clothes!

It's a viscous cycle wink.

Hopefully Fri 03-Jun-16 07:38:46

VICIOUS. Not viscous. FFS.

chajazam Fri 03-Jun-16 07:47:20

For work I like Banana Republic. If you shop in the sale at the right time you can get some great bargains (dresses between 15-40) mine have lasted years as the quality is usually great, it's essentially upmarket Gap (same company) and they often send 30% discounts at non sale times. I love Whistles too and get as much as possible in the sale. Buy one great investment dress that you can change with a jacket or cardigan.

Pisssssedofff Fri 03-Jun-16 08:19:05

Sadly both, I've always loved expensive things

Floisme Fri 03-Jun-16 10:10:48

I go for a mix too. I'm trying to gradually increase the amount of higher end stuff in my wardrobe but I still like a bit of fast fashion. I would be bored shitless with a small capsule wardrobe so a bit of iffy quality is the price I pay.

Nothing wrong with where you shop - I'm 59 and H&M and TK Maxx are two of my favourites. I think H&M do a lot of basics that are wearable at any age. I supplement with higher end bits and at the moment, I really like Whistles - not always better quality but more consistent plus I like the way their clothes are cut. I'm building up through sales / offers and the odd second hand find.

I'm trying to train myself to spend more on everyday basics like knitwear and Ts and less on things that get saved 'for best' and never worn.

mysteryfairy Fri 03-Jun-16 10:19:38

I have a hit list of quality items that won't date and that I buy on sale. So I've stocked up on stuff just now in the Harvey Nichols and Selfridges pre sale at 40% off. I'll probably buy a few more bits when they get to the 70% off mark but wouldn't count on that for anything I truly wanted. Does require disposable income or pre planning I suppose, but you could start saving for Xmas and have a few hundred pounds by then.

For anything very now and one season I buy from Zara or top shop.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 03-Jun-16 10:40:56

If you don't mind not shopping that often, I'd probably suggest saving up and just buying things in the sales twice a year - only problem with that is that you'd be stuck for winter clothes until you could buy more in January. Also, I think there are a few things where quantity is required - underwear and socks, camisoles to wear under things, basic t-shirts... you don't want to be stuck without those.

Alternatively you can find nice quality items in natural fibres in some high street shops - H&M for cotton vests/t-shirts, and Uniqlo for pretty much everything else grin. I don't think the quality of Reiss/TB/FCUK/Whistles is all necessarily all that, either, you still have to pick and choose.

Gap is good for merino jumpers, chinos, shorts, jeans, and I wouldn't lump it in with the others because there are so many 30% off codes (never buy without one!), it should definitely be affordable.

I would write off DP and New Look as shops where it is just not worth trying to find the gems amongst the tat. H&M is much better (as long as you always try stuff on!)

Openup41 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:08:01

Chanie- I much prefer winter clothes. I feel you need to spend a lot in order to look pristine in the summer months.

Summer days - I like blazers. Only currently have one in a dark colour. I like the oranges, corals and pinks that a number of women wear.

Hopefully - you have a point. What on earth am I to wear in the meantime whilst I am saving for more quality items? The summer season would be over by the time I hit the shops.

Openup41 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:12:57

Chaj - I have never purchased clothes from Banana Republic. I am rather boring and stick to what I know.

Floisme - you mention Whistles have better cuts. There is something about the way clothes from particular shops hang. They scream quality. I buy cardigans from H&M for £10 and they look it. They lose shape. The black becomes charcoal then grey. I cannot wear them to work as they are unflattering.

Mystery- yes I could save but then I would have to miss buying summer clothes and mine already go back 5 to 6 years. My jeans fade at the knees but I cannot complain as I spend roughly £15 to £20 on them.

Openup41 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:17:02

Blair - I dislike buying one or two items with a passion. It is just not enough to update my wardrobe.

I see women walking to the station on my way to work and they look trendy - their whole outfit is this season.

Openup41 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:19:04

I would like to throw out all my clothes and shoes- giving some to charity and buy from scratch. I would only buy what I liked, what flattered me, what could be matched with a number of items.

Pisssssedofff Fri 03-Jun-16 21:00:30

We'd all like to do that I think

Floisme Fri 03-Jun-16 21:49:47

Op I have stuff from H&M that regularly gets mistaken for Whistles. I know there's a lot of dross there but they do good stuff too.

At the moment my wardrobe is probably about 70% cheap and cheerful and 30% higher end. I'm lucky that I can do that. But if I was on a really tight budget I would buy 90% H&M, try and pick up the odd second hand /TK Maxx bargain and then I'd buy a couple of things from the Whistles sale every season. I'd choose carefully to make sure they went with lots of things and then I'd wear them to death.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now