Where do you shop if you're tall?

(26 Posts)
BatSegundo Mon 30-May-16 21:42:22

Help! I need some more trousers and can't find any. The high street seems to have given up catering to tall women confused

I need tall/longer length ones with a wide leg. I would love some palazzo pants but feel this may be asking too much.

Ideal would be higher waisted/flat fronted. I have a bit of a muffin top and because I'm tall, have spent most of my life buying a larger size of standard trouser and letting them sit on my hips. Post children, this is no longer a good look....

mayneverhireAnannyagain Mon 30-May-16 21:45:31

Try GAP or BODEN online, they have a good selection of items for tall people.

mayneverhireAnannyagain Mon 30-May-16 21:46:37

Oh, and they have some "high rise" ones that sit closer to the waist as well

Emochild Mon 30-May-16 21:49:47

Try Very

I'm 6ft with a 35 inside leg and get my trousers from there

They are longer everywhere, not just in the leg if you catch my drift grin

PortiaCastis Mon 30-May-16 21:50:40

Try this
www.tallgirls.co.uk/just-arrived/new-clothing

BatSegundo Mon 30-May-16 21:54:51

Thank you may. I might give these a try. Never really shopped online before. I usually end up trying on so many trousers when high st shopping and 90% of them look crap, so have avoided online up until now.

Off to nose in GAP...

mayneverhireAnannyagain Mon 30-May-16 22:00:11

Those look cute Bat! Check out the coupons online by googling "boden code" and you may find discounts, free shipping and the like. Very often, they have "free shipping and free returns" and that is great because you can order two sizes or more, try them on and return the ones that don't fit.

Once you get to know the brands, though, you know your size and most often you can order the right size.

BatSegundo Mon 30-May-16 22:01:06

Thanks Emo I looked at Very and whilst they had some nice stuff, there was nothing wide of the leg. I need either flares or actual wide leg. Have a medical device that I wear below the knee [http://walkaide.com/patients/Pages/default.aspx (this)] and can't do skinny any more. Though, tbh I've done enough years of looking like a parsnip, time for a change smile.

Good to know they're long all over though!

BatSegundo Mon 30-May-16 22:02:50

oops, link fail:

medical device

BatSegundo Mon 30-May-16 22:27:31

Thanks portia. They have some nice things, but the only wide leg (that's not jeans) is patterned. I'm not sure I'm brave enough for patterned trousers; they look fab on some people but patterns and me have never really got on. I can do a simple stripe, but I am one of those people who always seems to look scruffy, no matter how I'm dressed and pattern seems to make it worse.

I have bought them May! And with 15% off and free delivery - they offered the code on the website - maybe because I am a Boden virgin and they wanted to lure me in! Gap stuff looks good too, especially the high-waisted trousers. I got very, very excited when I saw the 'tall sale' section of the website!

snowgirl1 Mon 30-May-16 22:28:35

Next have a tall range, as do Top Shop.

Long Tall Sally cater especially for tall ladies.

M&S usually do different leg lengths too. And, as PPs have mentioned, Boden do too.

Glitteryfrog Mon 30-May-16 22:38:19

Topshop tall
Miss Selfridge does long jeans online (but not in store)
Gap for work trousers
H&M
Dorothy Perkins used to have a tall section but I haven't looked for a while

SpaghettiMeatballs Mon 30-May-16 22:41:07

Gap are great. I'm 5,8 so not very tall but I'm long in the body so can wear normal trousers but need longer tops. Gap and the new Boden long line are my staples.

mayneverhireAnannyagain Mon 30-May-16 22:42:11

I am glad to hear that, I hope they work for you!

RainIsAGoodThing Mon 30-May-16 22:49:29

I'm 5'10 with a 36 inch leg and I love ASOS Tall and Topshop Tall. In my town they've got rid of the Tall stock in Dorothy Perkins, New Look and Topshop and taken it all online, so I can only buy trousers off the internet now. But I can usually be sure ASOS and Topshop will fit smile

Facilitator Mon 30-May-16 23:21:46

Second ASOS tall. It's a revelation for me, love their stuff more than topshop.

Tiffanytwisted Mon 30-May-16 23:32:37

Next online. They have loads of different lengths. I'm 6'1 and the extra long is long enough for me, the Tall size is too long. Have recently got some nice jeans from there and also some wide leg trousers. They are cropped length but plain colours and a decent flattering cropped length, my new favourite thing to wear.

MiracletoCome Tue 31-May-16 07:27:51

I would sign up to the GAP emails, then they will send you lots of offers for money off, also if you spend over £50 its free delivery. I shop at Next tall and GAP tall mainly.

MiracletoCome Tue 31-May-16 07:31:54

Boden have some wide leg jeans in the long length. Code A9J8 for 25% off by the look of it.

AdoraKiora Tue 31-May-16 10:39:24

Its a struggle. I'm 5'11 with a 34 inch leg. I am yet to find a flattering pair of long trousers anywhere and have pretty much given up sad.

People really seem to rate Gap on MN, but I find the fit of their jeans and trousers SO unflattering (am a tall hourglass size 12).

I've got some decent harem-type trousers for casual wear from Next (although mainly Next Tall is vile).

I buy a fair bit of Tall stuff from ASOS, occasionally LTS (mainly awful, though), and Boden is my saviour for dresses and skirts.

BatSegundo Tue 31-May-16 19:33:17

Wow - lots of replies, thanks. Glad I'm not the only one. I've reached the point of giving up too Adora - when I can find long trousers, they rarely seem to fit well/flatter.

In the past I've tried and liked Topshop, next, DPs and even LTS for the odd work thing (I wish they'd do better stuff, when I was younger I used to assume that they were trying to appeal to 40somethings, now I'm nearly 40 and I still don't like most of it - who the heck is their target market? ). I'm just hacked off that it's all gone on-line, are you not allowed to go shopping if your legs are longer than 32"?! confused

So although I'm rather begrudgingly going to become an on-line shopper, at least I've now got some new options (and the means to get discounts!) thanks to you lot. flowers

LadyAntonella Tue 31-May-16 19:52:01

Asos has a few tall brands which can be nice. I like Glamorous Tall.

I don't shop on the high street anymore. It's just too frustrating; I can never find what I'm looking for and if I do they only have a few sizes which aren't mine!

AdoraKiora Tue 31-May-16 19:52:32

I'd advise (if you can be arsed) ordering anything you see that seems vaguely right from online Tall ranges, trying on and then sending back if horrendous.

I do this a lot.

90% is shit, but if you can find a few things that are OK, you've got something at least!

Try also Tall Girls (again, like the other shops - mainly shit, but the odd gem).
Banana republic (more for worky stuff)
A Dutch brand called Pitt which do decent dresses/skirts for tall women - sometimes available online in John Lewis or Debenhams.

grin

BatSegundo Tue 31-May-16 20:37:33

Thanks Lady - I'm definitely going to try Asos. I used to like High St shopping, back in the olden days when I was all willowy and young and could have an afternoon cocktail to finish my outing. These days it's just annoying and makes me feel like an old woman muttering about garish patterns and man-made fibres and trousers than just don't fit. But rather than make the jump to online shopping, I just didn't buy anything - for years. Time for a change.

Adora the only time I have felt like a normal person was on a trip to Amsterdam. Every shop I walked into, everything just fitted - it was so relaxing! I will look out for Pitt, I like the northern european looks generally, being more pragmatic than pretty in my style choices.

Owllady Tue 31-May-16 20:39:27

Sainsburys long leg sizing is v long smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now