Flattering t-shirts/tops to disguise spare tyre...

(18 Posts)
Enidonthebus Sat 28-May-16 15:38:21

I've been searching high and low for twist front/knotted front/crossover/draped/slouchy summer tops to cover up the unsightly roll of flesh around my middle, but to no avail. Please help me so that I can leave the house without a coat when it's warm! Thank you for your help!

tshirtsuntan Sat 28-May-16 15:46:46

I've been out searching for the same thing myself grin primark have got some tie-front t-shirts and some quite nice wrap front loose tops, I think it depends how tall you are though, they were a bit short on me. I got a couple of the loose vest top type with elasticated hem (think they're called "bubble" tops?) H&M have some good shapes, loose and quite long with different shaped hems but the colours were not right for me, dark red and various shades of grey.

LadyAntonella Sat 28-May-16 17:14:03

Try eBay. It's my favourite place to shop these days as there are so many options to refine your search including material, which I don't really see elsewhere online.

Anjelika Sat 28-May-16 17:43:40

Hi. Sorry I can't link as not sure how to from my phone but wanted to recommend White Stuff "Teardrop Jersey tee". It does not look at all tent like on but it covers my spare tyre really nicely.

dudsville Sat 28-May-16 18:14:38

Does it have to be a tee shirt? I think they're very unforgiving and a nice light summery button down top has enough structure to do the job.

Oldraver Sat 28-May-16 20:14:23

I dont usually wear standard t-shirts for this reason though I have seen some t-shirts with a slight flare from the underarm

I usually wear cotton top with a bit of flare over the stomach

I've just bought this from Primark. It is 100% cotton, woven fabric sort, not t-shirt fabric.

Almost all shops have little tops like this that dont cling to a spare tyre

SorrelForbes Sun 29-May-16 08:42:08

Boden ruched tops are flattering.

ZaZathecat Sun 29-May-16 11:16:28

I like these and have bought a couple. It's not getting hot enough to wear them yet though!

rollonthesummer Sun 29-May-16 14:04:18

I like those zaza but I have armpit fat and they look crap on me!

I'm going to look at some of the suggestions-I have this problem. I don't really like my upper arms either-they are getting very sausage like!!

Enidonthebus Sun 29-May-16 16:20:26

Thanks for all your ideas! I live in Ireland so don't have access to all the stores mentioned, but am certainly going to give the White Stuff tops a go.
More summer clothes suggestions for those of us who will never be described as willowy sad would be much appreciated.

stonecircle Sun 29-May-16 16:30:53

Have just got back from a clothes shopping expedition and been unable to find anything which hides my spare tyre ( so much stuff is either clingy or has a waist), hides my arm fat and which is long enough (I'm quite tall and a lot of dresses are already quite short). Am feeling quite depressed about it!

rollonthesummer Sun 29-May-16 16:39:31

I've been looking on eBay this afternoon for tops and dresses but I don't know what to search for?!

puglife15 Mon 30-May-16 18:44:44

Ive ordered some tops from Warehouse, ASOS and H&M for this very purpose... when they've arrived I'll report back!

Improperlyhappy Mon 30-May-16 18:47:45

I still have mummy tummy after 4 yrs, and wear Boden's swing t-shirts a lot - the have long & short sleeve and nice neutral colours. They fit nice around bust & arms but wide over tummy. Fab with jeans & fitted jackets but not tight over tum. Just search swing on their website xx

Enidonthebus Mon 30-May-16 21:11:56

thank you, Improperlyhappy. I will have a look. I hope I don't depress you too much when I say I still haven't lost the baby weight, and my babies are 20 and 17 blush

BatSegundo Mon 30-May-16 21:34:04

I feel your pain. I'm a 14 around the middle but a 12 elsewhere. I like label lab eg www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Label+Lab+Tie+dye+tassel+burnout+asymmetric+tee/237556408,default,pd.html

They always seem to have plenty of slouchy/swingy tops that suit me.

ChocolateHelps Mon 30-May-16 21:59:56

Thanks for tips!! Just bought 2 swing tops from Boden. 15% off and free delivery and returns ends tonight

Enidonthebus Mon 30-May-16 22:04:35

And Label Lab looks very promising; off to House of Fraser this week...
Thanks BatSegundo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now