Black nail polish

(37 Posts)
rachelmonday1 Thu 26-May-16 22:04:34

Is black nail polish generally considered fashionable?

GrimDamnFanjo Thu 26-May-16 23:59:41

Bit too gothic for me but I do wear very dark red and purple.

BeckyWithTheMediocreHair Fri 27-May-16 00:39:01

No, not really.

Thinkswimmingnoodle Fri 27-May-16 00:41:26

No

pieceofpurplesky Fri 27-May-16 00:51:43

I love it. So probably not fashionable

Tate15 Fri 27-May-16 05:43:51

This is lovely. It isn't black black due to glitter!
www.nailpolishdirect.co.uk/nails-c270/mavala-mini-color-creme-nail-polish-black-diamond-211-5ml-p15181

EmpressTomatoKetchup Fri 27-May-16 09:13:07

Depends how you wear it. I have a dark greyish blue, and a deep red almost black.

Ideas
www.bustle.com/articles/122082-11-creative-ways-to-wear-black-nail-polish

LillyVonSchtupp Fri 27-May-16 09:15:06

Not in my opinion.

Colours that are almost black look much better so very dark reds/purples/blues etc.

Straight up black is a bit goth teenager.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 27-May-16 09:16:33

i like it!

goes with everything, looks great on squareish nails, super shiny

i like a bit of glitter too, there's one I often have with glitter through it, just to de-goth it a bit.

BeckyWithTheMediocreHair Fri 27-May-16 09:35:43

I agree that very very dark shades which appear almost black in some lights are more stylish. OPI Lincoln Park After Dark is a fabulously dark, dark purple. Alternatively, Essie Wicked is a very dark crimson and is an excellent dupe for Chanel rouge noir, which chips within hours.

CremeEggThief Fri 27-May-16 09:38:03

I love it, for winter on hands and always on toes. I don't think it's fashionable, but it's not unfashionable either.

squizita Fri 27-May-16 10:07:07

Yes. But possibly not in the general MN demographic, and if not your 'style' it will jar.

Thinking: Youtubers, Instagram, Pastel Goth, Nu Goth, Monochrome fashion bloggers. The type who bleach their hair and dye it grey. Nails will be glassy shiny or matte, stiletto/coffin/short. Perfect brows. Very on trend.
I sometimes do this type of look, when I have time but not the grey hair, too much naturally LOL and use black polish then. A very high shine gel polish OR a matte polish. Not so much when in my 'go down tesco' look as if I'm not 'dressed to the 9s' being late 30s with dyed hair I look like an ageing student.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 27-May-16 10:26:08

Only at Hallowe'en on Stiletto false nails for me grin

OPI are good, most cheapie one are too streaky

Findmeinthekitchenatparties Fri 27-May-16 11:33:42

I love black nails. They look especially good on short square nails, although I really like coffin nails, wouldn't do it myself though (coffin nails, that is).

Come to think of it, I prefer really dark shiny nails which are assumed to be black but on closer inspection are actually purple, ink, dark red.

Hmm, now going to find that Lincoln Park one...

BeckyWithTheMediocreHair Fri 27-May-16 11:58:04

OPI Russian Navy is good, too - really deep indigo with a very pretty shimmer in the light.

I love me a really dark polish!

MustBeThin Fri 27-May-16 12:12:59

Don't know whether it's fashionable because I don't care. grin I paint my nails weekly with any colour that takes my fancy at the time purple, pink, blue, red, black, silver. Anything really I'm not fussy. I generally use OPI with Seche Vite top coat followed by OPI Infinite Shine, can easily get 7-10 days without chips and I don't wear gloves to wash up or anything.

hanbrooks Fri 27-May-16 14:24:06

I tend to wear a dark brown - it just feels a bit more feminine, but still gives the dark colour, which I think looks gorgeous! A bit of top coat to make it shiny and it's perfect grin

LadyReuleaux Fri 27-May-16 15:41:40

No idea about fashionable, but I have a black glitter one that I love, storm ink{http://www.zoya.com/content/item/Zoya/Zoya-Nail-Polish-in-Storm-ZP645.html\www.zoya.com/content/item/Zoya/Zoya-Nail-Polish-in-Storm-ZP645.htm]]l}

Glitter elevates black from a teenage gothy look and makes it a bit more glam.

Probably wouldn't wear it in summer, as I am into my pinks and oranges then.

LadyReuleaux Fri 27-May-16 15:42:49

hmm don't know what happened to my link

here

rachelmonday1 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:02:54

Thanks for all of your feedback Ladies. I eventually went for the Essie Wicked, which a totally love! Pity I can't wear nail polish all the time, but then I'd probably not enjoy it so much if I could. smile

Ohchristmastreeohchristmastree Fri 17-Jun-16 17:06:12

If you wear it with a tan it's fine, (and look great), without a tan is a bit goth.

rachelmonday1 Sat 18-Jun-16 09:37:55

I'm lucky to be quite tanned and love the look smile

ElspethFlashman Sat 18-Jun-16 09:47:02

Even better - black with multicoloured glitter! By Bourjois. Makes your nails look like a Goth birthday party!

rachelmonday1 Sat 18-Jun-16 09:50:36

Too much choice!!!! smile

BertieBeats Sat 18-Jun-16 09:51:54

I think if you keep on top of it, keep it glossy with a top coat and not let it chip it can look glam as opposed to gothic. I would do for a dark red or purple though as my skin tone doesn't allow black.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now