Challenge! Hi Vis

(24 Posts)
candykane25 Thu 26-May-16 18:55:51

Hi all,
I've recently starting working with my adorable Guide Dog (CandyDog).
I have been advised that for insurance purposes Guide Dog Owners should wear something hi vis and/or reflective at all times (even though CandyDog is already kitted out fully in her hi vis uniform) so that if an accident were to happen, I can demonstrate I made myself very visible to others so that they could have avoided me.
Now here is my S & B dilemma.
I've been provided with a very unattractive luminous sash which of course clashes with everything - my particular one is red and white checked to indicate both hearing and visual impairment.
It really doesn't look great. I am still vain regardless of impairments.
So... A challenge to all you style ma end.
I am looking for stylish hi vis accessories and garments. Sporty or fashion I don't care. I have an open mind.

Not especially lovely but could you carry a high vis rucksack sometimes?

this place has some snap wristbands but what they also have is the high vis tape sold by the meter - could you get some and add it to normal clothing? Maybe add a stripe at each end of a scarf, or around the cuff of jackets or similar?

botemp Thu 26-May-16 19:28:03

I don't know if this is the type of thing you're looking for but I remembered this company Henrichs that was started by a former editor from Wallpaper magazine. It's a little futuristic/avant-garde and primarily designed for urban cyclists but it might be your thing?

candykane25 Thu 26-May-16 19:33:22

Thank you so much you two. This is exactly the ideas I need! I was thinking of putting reflective straps on my bags - I use cross body bags and rucksacks anyway to stay hands free. But I've just got a gorgeous orla kiely rucksack for my birthday and can't bear to bring myself to "deface" it.

PotOfYoghurt Thu 26-May-16 21:20:11

I love those Henrich ones!

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Thu 26-May-16 21:30:03

Decathlon has some sporty fitted hi viz t shirts that have a nice scoop neck for summer. I ride in mine and they are a lovely flattering fit.

CMOTDibbler Thu 26-May-16 21:48:05

££, but I love this jacket, and it is conveniently waterproof and expands to go over a backpack.

Not sure if I like this, but its certainly hi vis and different

museumum Thu 26-May-16 21:55:03

High vis and reflective aren't the same thing.
I guess you're supposed to have something bright rather than something reflective?
What about a messenger bag designed for cycling?

museumum Thu 26-May-16 21:56:35

Like this? www.zazzle.co.uk/neon_yellow_high_visibility_commuter_bags-210429173128697272

candykane25 Thu 26-May-16 21:58:47

I will check out decathlon, thank you.

Dibbler I LOVE that Doris swing jacket! It's very me.

See, I knew I could count on you lot.

museumum Thu 26-May-16 21:59:21

Oh look. An OK sash! www.cyclechic.co.uk/shop/accessories/bramble-mr-twigg-reflective-cycling-sash

candykane25 Thu 26-May-16 22:11:14

Oh my goodness I am so excited. I am a Christmas nut and the cycle chic site has this! It's in my basket

www.cyclechic.co.uk/shop/accessories/retro-reflective-red-fairisle-cycling-belt

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Thu 26-May-16 22:23:28

These are the decathlon tops I have. Both a great fit and wash well.

CMOTDibbler Thu 26-May-16 22:29:00

Cyclechic have matching wrist bands to that sash as well!

How about a stealth reflective beanie?

candykane25 Thu 26-May-16 22:42:20

I like those decathlon t shirts, great price too. I've started to wear a more relaxed t shirt and jeans aesthetic too after years of corporate work wear so fit right in with my new lifestyle.
Dibbler! Those beanies are awesome! How cool are they?!

candykane25 Thu 26-May-16 22:43:12

Museummum I've put the red star sash in my basket smile

museumum Fri 27-May-16 13:56:23

I love that fairisle one. I might get one too! For cycling.

CMOTDibbler Fri 27-May-16 21:20:03

You can buy the reflective yarn that goes into those beanies, so with the assistance of a knitter/crocheter the world could be your oyster in terms of hats/snoods/scarves/wristwarmers as it just gets knitted in with whatever other wool is used.

I've also found reflective piping which could easily be added to your rucksack etc without being too intrusive visually but would light up beautifully in car lights.

candykane25 Fri 27-May-16 21:22:30

Dibbler I'm getting rather fond of you! flowers

CMOTDibbler Fri 27-May-16 21:38:21

Aw, shucks! I rather fancied some reflective wristwarmers for running in having seen the beanies (I have to wear arm splints for running in so gloves don't show), so was having a nose to see if I could find the wool.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Fri 27-May-16 22:04:35

You can buy all manner of reflective tape, sew on, sticky etc. www.fancy-tapes.co.uk/for-safety/reflective-tapes. I,ve bought various types for cycling.

I have a florescent yellow Stella McCartney for Adidas running top which I love and wish I can wear as "normal" clothes.
www.stellamccartney.com/gb/online/adidas-by-stella-mccartney/women

bingohandjob Sat 28-May-16 07:26:19

Water Off A Duck's Back used to do lovely discreet coat (for Autumn) and places like Cycle Chic sashes and House of Astbury patches (they may do you a bespoke one!) - cycling gear but great for walkers, too

Thataintnoetchasketch Sat 28-May-16 07:43:59

What about these from Sweaty Betty? Their run & cycle lines usually have a few options for hi-vis and/or reflective.

candykane25 Sat 28-May-16 10:13:27

There are iron on tapes on that fancy tapes links which I could use. Thank you.
Yes I think cycle wear is a good way to go.
I've also found some asics trainers which are fluro yellow. It's a whole new world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now