The right sandals for Rome...help!

(22 Posts)
GiveMummyTheWhizzer Wed 25-May-16 21:19:03

Looking for some shoe help ladies!

Off to Rome for my 30th birthday in July and I am in need off extremely comfortable sandals/shoes to wander around all day in....

It will be hot so am packing knee length dresses and cutoff linens with vest tops - what can I put on my feet that won't cripple me through the colluseum and Vatican?

Thanks smile

VanessaBet Wed 25-May-16 21:22:31

Gladiators of course! grin

Sorry.

I've always found my fitlops very comfy for holiday type wanderings

VanessaBet Wed 25-May-16 21:22:56

*Fitflops

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 25-May-16 21:23:46

What do you personally find comfortable? I did Rome in birkis and memory foam lined lace up Skechers. They're not for everyone but I found them very comfortable and walked miles. You'll need 2 pairs of good shoes if you are walking every day, do t wear the same pair 2 days running so they can dry out properly and give your feet a change.

miniswin Wed 25-May-16 21:26:00

Teva sandals are so comfortable, I can wear them for hours, no gripping with your toes to keep them on your feet either. You can get some lovely ones too, mine have rose gold metallic leather straps.

Behooven Wed 25-May-16 22:15:49

Rieker Antistress have taken me round many a city break. Like walking on puffy clouds.

NotRightNowww Wed 25-May-16 22:35:36

I've just bought these in hope of some summer and they are unbelievably comfortable (and my feet are hard to please).

www.hushpuppies.com/UK/en_GB/bretta-jade/23268W.html

I went to Rome for my 30th - fab trip, hope you have a great time!

polyhymnia Thu 26-May-16 00:12:14

We go to Rome every year and I always take a couple of pairs of Fitflops sandals. Their thick soles are perfect for dealing with all the hard cobbles in the ridiculously picturesque - and exploring romantic ruins.

polyhymnia Thu 26-May-16 00:12:45

Picturesque streets ! Rome is full of them.

icedcherrytea Thu 26-May-16 00:52:42

I did a 3 hour walking tour of Rome one august. It broke me. I had to stop to buy havianas. They were comfy like walking on a cloud. I also got really bad chaffing and it gets very hot and busy. Enjoy. Love Rome.

Life restaurant is perfect for a romantic meal.

teabagsmummy Thu 26-May-16 00:58:16

I wore memory foam sketchers in Rome very comfy

GiveMummyTheWhizzer Thu 26-May-16 15:42:19

Thanks everyone. I've got quite wide feet so find sandals a struggle.... sad

I also find i need some kind of strap round the back of my foot - so stuggle with havianas.

NotRightNowww - those are lovely.

I can't find any sketchers I like - but have ordered these:

www.fitflop.co.uk/en/womens/shoes-and-clogs/fitflop-f-sporty-canvas-ballerinas-supernavy-|-official-fitflop-store/883945967207.html

This is one of the dresses I have - do you think they will look ok with this:

www.fatface.com/Dresses/Ava-Fine-Stripe-Dress/invt/913733

Doobigetta Thu 26-May-16 18:59:59

I've just bought these for a weekend in Florence- www.amazon.co.uk/Earth-Spirit-Scotsdale-UK-Platinum/dp/B019P07UDU/ref=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1464285481&sr=1-6&keywords=earth+spirit+womens+shoes
I'm very pleased with them- they're cushioned, so comfy, and should stay nice and cool, and are pretty and non-frumpy.

wowfudge Thu 26-May-16 19:04:14

Some of the summer Hotter styles are pretty good and their stuff is comfortable. You mention vests and cut offs - if you plan on going into any churches you will need to cover your shoulders/arms. St Peter's has guards who chuck out anyone they think isn't appropriately dressed.

Wolpertinger Thu 26-May-16 19:10:59

I am currently planning my trip to Rome and will be buying some Hotter Active shoes after a week of agony in Ecco sandals in Venice last year.

And yes no vest tops in churches - in some places they will give you a yukky scarf to wear but better to come with your shoulders covered. And in Rome there are a LOT of churches.

GiveMummyTheWhizzer Thu 26-May-16 20:45:38

Yes don't worry my cutoffs are below knee and I will take a cardigan for shoulders smile all already in hand!

Will be wearing my dress for the colliseum trip rather than the Vatican.

fruityb Thu 26-May-16 20:47:28

I wore go walk Skechers. Worked out as the crow flies we did 13 miles round Rome!!

thatorchidmoment Thu 26-May-16 20:50:14

Can't believe I'm the first one to suggest Saltwaters! smile

Brilliant sandals and super comfy. Get them soaking wet the first time you wear them, and walk about in them until they are dry. They stretch and mound to your feet so you can prance joyously through summer!

www.salt-watersandals.com/women.html

NormHonal Thu 26-May-16 20:52:58

Yes absolutely Saltwaters!

SlowComfortableShrew Thu 26-May-16 20:55:25

I found my saltwaters uncomfortable in Rome. The soles were too thin to cope with cobbles.

thatorchidmoment Thu 26-May-16 20:55:43

Mould^

Wolpertinger Thu 26-May-16 21:28:11

My problem in Venice was soles far too thin. Have looked at the pics of Saltwaters and they are not inspiring confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now