Ingrowing hair

(8 Posts)
Crusoe Sat 21-May-16 17:31:47

Please help. I have what I think is a I growing hair on my jawline. I have in the past managed to pluck out the hair - it's really hard and spikey but it ALWAYS grows back inwards. I have this permanent hard lump under the skin that never heals and always ends up splitting open.
I have had this since last October and it is driving me mad. In despair I saw my GP who basically laughed at me. He said he couldn't see a hair (but there is a tiny black pinprick in the centre) and if I left it alone it would go.
I have tried leaving well alone for 3 weeks but the lump has swelled again and just this morning as I washed my face it split again. There is no pus or infection just a "spot" that won't heal because of this wretched hair.
Anyone got any advice?

Ricksheadtilt Sat 21-May-16 19:43:51

Other than seeing another GP (appalled at the response). When I get in growing hairs (all too frequently I either use witch hazel gel or a soluble aspirin which I use a teeny bit of water on to make a paste.)

Kirriemuir Sat 21-May-16 19:53:27

Would a tea tree face wash help?

Chocolateteabag Sat 21-May-16 20:38:10

Could you try getting it electrolysed? Ie kill the root and get rid?

hairymuffet Sat 21-May-16 22:29:17

Moisturize.
Don't pluck hair but cut with scissors

Crusoe Sun 22-May-16 08:00:29

I wish I could get it long enough to cut with scissors but it never does.
I've tried tea tree but not the aspirin so I'll give that a go.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Elizabethreallyismissing Sun 22-May-16 11:51:16

You need to exfoliate so the aspirin might work. Also try products with salicylic acid and a blf flannel to draw the hair to the surface. Don't put the hot flannel on the rest of your face though!

Elizabethreallyismissing Sun 22-May-16 11:52:17

A hot flannel! Grrrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now