Facial Hair - please advise.

(19 Posts)
TrafficJunkie Fri 20-May-16 14:21:48

UGH.
I have PCOS and recently, lasy year or so, I've noticed I'm getting facial hair. Its mostly on my top lip where its a light brownish/blonde colour. Ive also got some on my cheeks just on the cheekbone area. These ones are quite dark!!!

Any advice? I'm not a maintenance girl at all - I don't even like having to blow dry my hair sometimes, and I rarely shave my legs. But this facial hair I cannot stand.
I have sensitive skin so I think bleach would be out of the question - and there's always that risk of making it too light.

What do you do with yours, if you have it? I feel like it's REALLY noticeable. At the moment, i'm just trimming it if it gets too long and thankfully it grows slowly like my eyebrow hair does.

DrewOB1 Fri 20-May-16 14:23:44

Same boat here, PCOS is rubbish. Waxing or threading every 2-3 weeks is the only thing that works for me. And tweezers in between sad

botemp Fri 20-May-16 14:30:33

I have PCOS too and sensitive skin, it started out pretty innocent with me too and then just became more and more in random spots (chin and neck mostly). I used to get it hot waxed which worked well and I'd pluck random dark and thick hairs in between sessions, however, I started getting ingrown hairs so it was really becoming aggravating to me and my skin. I took the plunge with laser hair removal and it's been such a relief not having to worry about it anymore. Since it's hormonal you will probably need more sessions than most but it's definitely worth the investment to get rid of it somewhat permanently. I'm lucky that my health insurance pays for it on account of the PCOS (I'm not in the UK though) but maybe it's worth looking into.

ClassicCoast Fri 20-May-16 14:33:07

Look on amazing and you can but weird hair removal springs with two rubber handles. You twist them over the skin and it's like threading but really easy - I am non hairy and bought a second just in case I lose number one! Think it cost about £2! Love em!

ClassicCoast Fri 20-May-16 14:33:34

Actually try Amazon not amazing!

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 20-May-16 14:36:47

I have the same. Bought a Philips lumea which is gradually making a difference. You have to shave between treatments rather than tweezers/wax, so I now do that every day or two before applying make up, and to be honest, while it was something I'd hoped never to resort to, its now my preferred method. Quick and effective, cheap and no mess.

sammy891 Fri 20-May-16 14:38:26

I have PCOS as wel and have a lot of facial hair, especially on my cheeks. I used to bleach them for the longest time but they still showed up under certain lighting. I recently saw a video on dermaplaning and facial razors, they are tiny little eyebrow razors you use to remove the peach fuzz. I bought mine from Amazon, called Tinkle Razors...plenty of YouTube videos.

TrafficJunkie Fri 20-May-16 14:42:55

I'm worried it'll grow back thicker and darker - and I'd HATE to have stubble!

botemp Fri 20-May-16 14:49:57

I'm a little iffy on shaving and PCOS because of the hormonal component, I did shave in between laser sessions in the beginning because you have to (now only rarely when a single hair pops up) but I did that knowing the laser treatments were working. Though it is a bit of a myth that hairs grow back thicker and darker, they do grow back more noticeable as they're cut rather bluntly and stick out terribly.

SquirrelFruitandNutkin Fri 20-May-16 14:53:35

My pcos seems to have reappeared lately - 6 week gap between periods and a sudden Tash! 😖
I've just started using an epistick, a little each day as it does hurt a bit!
I can't wax as i get spots, I'm
Allergic to immac stuff and there's too much hair to bleach.

The stick was cheap and easy to use, I'll let you know how the regrowth goes...

TrafficJunkie Fri 20-May-16 14:54:36

yes please Squirrel smile

SquirrelFruitandNutkin Fri 20-May-16 14:57:15

I did my chin a few days ago - a little itchy perhaps yesterday but looks fine so far. Spots will appear soon if they're gonna.

MrsMushrooms Fri 20-May-16 15:07:30

I also have PCOS but I've found waxing my lip and plucking my chin have worked best for me. I use Veet Facial Wax Strips every month or so, and immediately use the post-wax oily stuff that comes with it afterwards. That seems to have stopped any problems I had with spots using wax in the past. You could also try tea-tree oil or even some after-shave or something. Just to close the pores before they become spots.

sammy891 Fri 20-May-16 15:07:40

It's not the same shaving as traditional razors, it's eyebrow razors you use dry and they exfoliate your skin as well. I recently started doing it and no stubble or thick hair at all.

sammy891 Fri 20-May-16 15:08:25

jenniraincloud.com/beauty-tip-shave-your-face/

Maverick66 Fri 20-May-16 15:38:06

I recommend professional laser hair removal.both my DD have PCOS and have had laser treatment. Best money ever spent.

MrsMushrooms Fri 20-May-16 17:37:54

Maverick, I've been entertaining this for a while - how many sessions did they need? I'm worried it will damage my skin as it's very sensitive but it does seem quite a popular solution!

Maverick66 Fri 20-May-16 19:27:45

Hi Mrs mushrooms

DD 1 was quite a severe case think adolescent boy!
Her GP referred her for treatment on NHS .Treatment was carried out every three months (depending on hair growth cycle) . It was very successful treatment was effective from second session.
It works best on dark hair. You cannot tamper with hair growth cycle between sessions other than to shave it. You cannot wax between sessions.
DD treatment was finished after 12 months and now she just has a maintenance sessions every four months or so at a private salon costing £50 a session.
I also had laser hair removal tho not PCOS related it was just dark moustache and chin hair the older I got the coarser and darker it got. It needed waxed every 2/3 weeks.
I got it lasered over a 6 month period at £50 per session and results were practically instant. I get it lasered about every 5 months or so as maintenance .

If you are thinking of undertaking laser I Recommend you use someone who is qualified in a medical grade laser.

There are cosmetic grade lasers out there which are not as effective.

Hope this helps

MrsMushrooms Fri 20-May-16 19:36:49

Thanks, very helpful advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now