John Lewis personal shopper - any good

(13 Posts)
Microserf80 Thu 19-May-16 20:53:43

Considering trying the JL personal shopper service to put together an outfit for a wedding.

Is it worthwhile?
Anyone got any experiences to share?
My last personal shopper experience was a bit dispiriting although that was over a decade ago now.

readyforno2 Thu 19-May-16 20:56:37

Yeah! I went just before my 30th last year. She had stuff already picked out. It was a brilliant experience, not pushy at all.

SpaceKablooie Thu 19-May-16 21:04:44

ready, how did they know what kind of things to pick out in advance?

shirkingworking Thu 19-May-16 21:15:29

Sorry - I had the opposite experience. I went for an outfit for my 40th birthday and she chose dreadful mother of the bride stuff... Guess it depends on who you get! (Ended up with a simple black jumpsuit in the end and strapped gold sandals - chosen all by myself!)

readyforno2 Thu 19-May-16 22:03:01

I filled in a wee form, explained what I wanted an outfit for (my 30th) and that was pretty much it.
I had to put in height, weight, hair colour etc. too

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 19-May-16 22:05:22

Yes. I used them for the same reason. Loved the outfit (not something I would have ever looked at) They also recommended somewhere to get it altered slightly which cost buttons, and made a massive difference.

Woodhill Thu 19-May-16 22:07:40

Yes very good imo

readyforno2 Thu 19-May-16 22:10:28

I had a similar experience to Fine, I would never have looked at the jumpsuit I ended up buying (and still love) I thought it looked like a tea towel!

Puggirl007 Thu 19-May-16 22:10:29

I used them recently for my mum to get an outfit for my wedding. They were great - picked out lots of stuff we would never have chosen. Mum was delighted to get everything she needed in under 2 hours. The service was free (JL Touchwood - Sarah). I couldn't fault it and Sarah was lovely.
I am going back later in the year to replenish my own wardrobe as I seem to have lost my clothing-way the last few years.

Microserf80 Thu 26-May-16 21:36:03

Have an appointment booked for next week so will see how i get on.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 26-May-16 21:59:20

Make sure you wear decent underwear ....

The first thing the shopper did was sort me out with a bra that actually fitted/worked blush

It's great though if you are a fashion dunce like me - as well as bra and dress she also sorted me out with the "correct" tights, and appropriate shoes etc

JackandDiane Thu 26-May-16 22:03:23

not pushy - hated most of it. I bought a bit but in the end most went in the charity shop
TBH John Lewis is not a shop I choose to buy clothes from so I am not sure why I went

mckenzie Thu 26-May-16 22:21:23

I've used the personal shopper at one John Lewis store three or four times and it has always been a fantastic experience. I've always had the same lady so she now knows me and my style quite well and I wear the clothes that I've bought via the session an awful lot.
I also,had one session at a different branch of John Lewis and it was a completely different experience.
At the good one, you go to a private room, chat about likes and dislikes, what you are looking for then you stay put, drinking a drink of your choice that has been bought to you and reading magazines. Then the assistant comes back with a selection of clothes with accessories and you have a fun time trying things in.

At the other store, we had a quick chat then the two of us went into the store and the assistant basically asked me if I saw anything I liked. I then carried the clothes back to the changing room. I had to ask for accessories.

Where do you live microserf80?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now