Sun hats, I always feel silly but need one, help!

(19 Posts)
Fuzzypeggy Thu 19-May-16 09:35:19

I really do need to wear a sun a hat on any reasonably bright day as my eyes are very sensitive to the light. I am 37 and follow fashion to an extent so want to look nice but I can't help feeling "try hard" wen I wear a straw Panama style, as I feel they are often worn as statement fashion hats and I don't want to look conspicuous. If everyone wore hats it woul be fine but they don't. Please give me some confidence to wear one and or give me some hat ideas, thanks

LaCerbiatta Thu 19-May-16 10:05:54

What about sunglasses?

Fuzzypeggy Thu 19-May-16 10:08:17

Yes I do wea sunglasses but it is the sun that comes from above ( and behind the glasses) that Is the problem, I constantly hold my hand over my eyes like a hat brim even when wearing sunglasses.

Whatthefoxgoingon Thu 19-May-16 10:33:19

Yeah I do that too, even with large lenses. Watching for stylish hat ideas!

OurBlanche Thu 19-May-16 10:37:11

Me too! I get sun and heat stroke, burn really easily and my eyes, my eyes!

I have winter hats, no problem. But have never found a sun hat that covers my neck and eyes. Well I have, but that 1930s Goddess of Stage and Screen look always seems a bit much when shopping in Tesco smile

retainertrainer Thu 19-May-16 12:08:17

I think Panama hats are your best option. The more you wear one the less conspicuous you'll feel. I had one on when it was hot a couple of weeks ago-wore it with hareem trousers and a white t-shirt and sandals,I felt pretty good it in-stylish but not ott.

Freshsteps Thu 19-May-16 14:15:25

Have a look at Tilley hats, they are fab ££ but lifetime guarantee.

cornflower123 Thu 19-May-16 16:19:39

Yes, Tilley hats are the way to go. I love mine smile. It was expensive but I've been through lots of cheaper hats over the years that haven't stood the test of time.

coleus Fri 20-May-16 09:32:03

I love mine from M&S. The ribbon is not as long as the pic portrays. I wear it for gardening to get confident before wearing it on holiday.

Fuzzypeggy Fri 20-May-16 09:59:22

Thanks. I just wish that I didn't feel so self conscious wearing a hat, I need to work on that

Lules Fri 20-May-16 10:06:21

Oh I love my Panama. I wish it would be sunny so I could wear it more often. I really don't think they look conspicuous at all

JapaneseSlipper Fri 20-May-16 11:54:52

I agree that sunglasses are not enough. I wear those pretty much all year round - I need a way of upping the ante a bit when the sun actually shines...

I'm sad that you feel self-conscious in a hat though. I wear them - would you judge me if you saw me walking past you in the street?! It's not easy to find a good one, but I would say that once you do, just wear it. The more you do it, the easier it will get.

If anyone comments on it in a way you don't like, just stare blankly at them. If anyone says "nice hat!", flash them a grin and say "thanks!"

How about these? Any good?

www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0356724001.html

www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/accessories/headwear/raffia-hat-c598502p3209024.html

www.anthropologie.com/uk/en/product/accessories-hats/7152521923218.jsp#/

specialsubject Fri 20-May-16 12:11:05

lots of lovely hats!

also make sure your sunnies are proper well fitting wrap around. Farty fashion end of nose jobs or aviators are not the way to go.

no need to pay a fortune. The Bloc range from Millets are good.

RaisingSteam Fri 20-May-16 12:35:44

Would a small hat like a cloche or trilby (in straw) feel less conspicuous, as long as it has a bit of brim at the front?
I feel your pain, I hate large hats but also look awful in millets-type "sunhats"

P1nkP0ppy Fri 20-May-16 12:45:50

I don't like hats but I bought a white linen one from Kew garden centre because my head was literally burning while we were there a couple of weeks ago. It's got an adjustable brim and I love it!

VenusRising Fri 20-May-16 12:59:04

Use a solar brolly.

I use my brolly all the time in summer and I don't get hat hair, or self conscious about it as I can put it down when not needed.

You could try a scarf if a brolly or hat doesn't suit.

retainertrainer Fri 20-May-16 13:09:18

Wouldn't it be lovely if parasols came back into fashion!

VenusRising Sat 21-May-16 01:29:40

Here's a link where you can get a solar uv brolly
I quite like the look af the heart shaped one!

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 21-May-16 01:48:03

Panama hats are the best! The more you wear one the more comfortable you'll feel.

I like the Tumi ones that roll up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now