Kindle - posting for traffic please ..

(11 Posts)
BeaLola Wed 18-May-16 11:19:44

My old 3G kindle has given up ghost - going on hols in 2 weeks and am torn between paper white with 3G and not. I tend to buy books from Amazon when at home but also whilst travelling - am wondering if non 3 g version will be ok and suit - much cheaper but is it false economy ?

Thank you and apologies for posting here for traffic

MorticiaLiverish Wed 18-May-16 11:22:02

I've just swapped the same as you, from an old 3G kindle to a new non-3G paperwhite.

If I'm being totally honest, I can't say that I have missed the 3G at all. I'm going away next week and have just had to make sure that I pre-load plenty of books onto it as I won't be able to buy any whilst I'm away.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Wed 18-May-16 11:41:11

Might be better in "Geeky Stuff". But I have an non 3G paperwhite which I took on holiday last year and made sure I had enough books before L left. Thinking about it, lots of places (bars restaurants) have wifi you can use now so could always buy more stuff that way.

BestIsWest Wed 18-May-16 11:41:53

Mine's on its last legs and I will be getting the 3G. Though wireless is much more widely available now, they still don't have it on my train.

LadyintheRadiator Wed 18-May-16 11:57:15

You can use your phone as a personal hotspot if you want to download books when there's no wifi. Win win!

specialsubject Wed 18-May-16 14:12:08

Don't use geeky stuff, that forum title is perpetuating the line that it is feminine to be thick. Try chat or go to pistonheads!

IJustLostTheGame Wed 18-May-16 17:14:28

I have a non 3g one. Not sure which model but it lights up and has some buttons.
I've never had 3g, and never lusted after one with it.

SoupDragon Wed 18-May-16 17:16:20

I have only ever had non 3G ones and haven't felt I'm missing out.

Spam88 Wed 18-May-16 22:07:00

I had an old keyboard one with 3G. I think I only actually downloaded a book while I was out and about (on a train) once. I now have a Voyage without 3G. I tend to just download books when I see ones I fancy, so I have like 250 unread books on my kindle ready and waiting for me, so I didn't feel that it was worth the extra money for the 3G.

Liiinooo Wed 18-May-16 22:38:45

I economised when I bought a Voyage and didn't get 3G, reasoning that I could always tether to my iPhone. It worked but I used to worry about running out of data when I wanted to download something so I soon bought a Paperwhite with 3G. I actually prefer the Paperwhite to the Voyage anyway.

BeaLola Thu 19-May-16 00:54:01

Thank you all for taking time to comment. Really appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now