Post pregnancy clothes

(19 Posts)
lozengeoflove Tue 17-May-16 01:06:55

I'm in some serious need of help please. Post pregnancy body is making it very difficult to dress and I desperately need to do some shopping. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should've wearing/where I should be shopping.

I'm now a size 14ish. Breastfeeding, so thinking dresses are out? Have a massive overhanging gunt which is making it very difficult to fit trousers as well as tops.

I'm doomed to live in maternity clothes, aren't I?

MattDillonsPants Tue 17-May-16 01:08:59

No...you're not doomed. It's early days and your body will take about a year to come back to some semblance of normality.

In retrospect I wish I had chilled out about my body in that first year and just worn maternity trousers!

You can get some nice tops suitable for breast feeding...but don't sweat the bottoms when your stomach is still suffering! Wear maternity bottoms and be comfy!

lozengeoflove Tue 17-May-16 01:19:28

Thanks matt. This is my second child, so body has now properly taken a battering. I'm totally prepared to give it time but it's the doom and gloom of looking grumpy during the transition phase that's worrying me.

I've got a pair of H&M maternity jeans in which I practically live and a few longish tops. I'm getting sick of the sight of these. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding where to start looking. Had my eye on oversized Tshirt dress from ASOS but worried that fabric might be too clingy?

Runningupthathill82 Tue 17-May-16 07:15:30

I'm in the same boat - put on 4st in my last pregnancy, and now in the process of losing it!

I'm mainly wearing stretchy skinny jeans with a vest and baggy-ish T shirt on top, which hides the tummy. On hotter days I've worn a cami with harem pants and sandals, or a floaty T shirt with denim shorts.

Dorothy Perkins stretch skinnies are v cheap and fit high up enough to be flattering on my tummy. They look good rolled up with layered vests and Birkenstocks for running round after the toddler too.

I've also got lots of tops from Warehouse which are looking good at the moment - sleeveless floaty T shirts in a variety of prints.

A good Topshop leather jacket (on cold days) and a Miss Selfridge jersey blazer (warmer days) tend to finish off the above ensembles.

Thing about a t shirt dress is what you'd wear with it. Those kind of dresses also tend to be clingy and not ideal for bf. A stretch jersey midi skirt and layered tops might work better?

Nuttypops Tue 17-May-16 07:19:50

If you are looking for dresses, I lived in frugi dresses when breastfeeding last summer. I tend to wear a lot of dresses or long top/legging combos post pregnancy as they seem to hide things better and are comfy.

havalina1 Tue 17-May-16 07:28:44

Ok sick of the sight of my clothes now too OP. I've two under two and my body is slowly getting back - he smallest is 8 months now. THe warm weather gives me the fear!

I got a couple of pairs of high waisted stretchy jeans from top shop and GAP. I'm breastfeeding too so using bf tops/camisole type tops and normal clothes over. Just cos I hate lifting up my top and flashing a belly.

I've a few singlets from BOOB too which are brilliant but again I'm getting sick of them, second time round smile

I just bought a maxi dress from Jojomamanbebe for breastfeeding.... I'm not back in my normal jeans yet at all... Wish I was.... Still carrying a bit of baby weight and jeans won't forgive!
I totally feel you pain!

Suzietwo Tue 17-May-16 07:36:15

Exactly what runningupthehill said. Stretchy jeans or trousers and two layers on top. Cami plus t shirt. By the time I stop breastfeeding (6ish months) I'm truly fed up with the clothes but usually have vaguely regained figure (such as it is after 3 babies ). Hoping for same experience this time around.

Matalan was good for comfy trousers 2 years ago. And gap/Asos for long skirts with wide elastic aged waist, for a change from jeans.

Suzietwo Tue 17-May-16 07:41:07

m.gap.co.uk/product.html?dn=gp000129939003&dv=0&shopid=0&pdn=gc57372&outlet=false

m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Tie-Knot-Stripe-Pencil-Skirt/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6405833&cid=12906&sh=0&pge=3&pgesize=50&sort=-1&clr=Multi&totalstyles=419&gridsize=3&un_jtt_v_frompage=3

Frazzled2207 Tue 17-May-16 07:56:55

No specific advice but I wanted to say I also thought the outlook was very gloomy after dc2.
After dc1 I the extra weight just....went, but I had quite the opposite experience after dc2, felt like a pudding for months.

Anyway, nearly a year on and I'm happy with my body now.
It just takes longer second time.

fedupofpeppa Tue 17-May-16 08:01:35

Piggy backing your thread a bit as am in the same situation. Was looking for some leggings which are high waisted with tummy control built in that don't cost loads. Anyone seen any?

Nan0second Tue 17-May-16 08:05:09

Worth looking at eBay. I got some dresses / tunics and breastfeeding tops that were much nicer than I could have afforded new! (Frugi, seraphine)
I have worn them to death and will sell them on again shortly!

loosechange Tue 17-May-16 08:10:08

EBay /charity shops. I have just given all of my maternity clothes to charity. Had amassed a vast selection.

poocatcherchampion Tue 17-May-16 08:16:04

I'm rocking shorts in this weather. My legs are basically fine. It makes the rest of it seem more interesting than just the black leggings look

MrsBenWyatt Tue 17-May-16 09:25:13

DC3 is now ten weeks old. I'm pretty much back to my normal weight and size (10) but I'm a completely different shape hmm

I'm living in New Look high waisted skinny jeans (to tuck in CS shelf) and the really long vests from H&M. I then am wearing slightly oversized tees over the vests so that I can do the 'one up, one down' trick when BF.

I haves these tops from ASOS that I like (they do other colours too)

m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/asos/asos-v-neck-oversized-slouchy-rib-3-pack-save-15-/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6075396&clr=Blackwhitegrey&SearchQuery=Slouchy+rib&pgesize=50&pge=0&totalstyles=56&gridsize=2&gridrow=7&gridcolumn=2

lozengeoflove Tue 17-May-16 10:32:57

poocatcher I can only dream of wearing shorts. This pregnancy has sprouted cellulite in places I didn't ever think it was possible.

Loads of great suggestions here, thank you everyone. I just hate catching my frumpy reflection in the mirror/shop window these days.

Not looking forward to the hot days of summer.

EsmeraldaEllaBella Tue 17-May-16 11:23:44

Check out Can I breastfeed in it UK on Facebook - loads of ideas

Lots of dresses are OK - wrap, button shirt dresses, zip dresses, dresses with buttons on back that you can undo to pull down at front... Tops especially made for bf made me look pregnant. May find it better with shirts (undo buttons from bottom up if want to not flash too much flesh) a t shirts with a bf vest underneath (h and m do great ones that unclip)

BowChickaBowWow Tue 17-May-16 11:24:30

Have a look at Joe Browns, they're good for flattering dresses and tops with distracting pleats and patterns to disguise the wobbly bits!

I'd look at maxi dresses too... like this and this, should be nice and cool but plenty of coverage and you can wear a vest underneath if you want.

lozengeoflove Tue 17-May-16 11:50:14

Have looked carefully at all the links and other than the ASOS tshirts, I think I'd look like a dressed up pig whale in all the other clothes.

God I really want to say something positive but shit, there's just nothing good to say about not being able to look presentable.

Silver lining is that the any is totally gorgeous so no-one looks at me anyway grin

lozengeoflove Tue 17-May-16 11:50:32

*the baby blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now