If I asked you to describe your style, could you do it?

(159 Posts)
BIWI Sat 14-May-16 21:13:28

Full disclosure: I'm a market researcher, and currently doing some research for one of the Big 4 supermarkets on their clothing. One of our clients has asserted that it's difficult/impossible for people to describe their own style, and that only other people could do this about you.

I wondered about this. Personally I'm really not into fashion, so it's hard for me to describe my 'style' other than scruffy, but then I was wondering if this confirmed her statement!

I'm not looking for answers to my research (because I actually haven't told you what it's really about wink), but wanted to see what you fashionistas thought to this claim.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 14-May-16 21:17:53

Colourful
Elegant
Unique

BIWI Sat 14-May-16 21:30:32

I've realised the fatal flaw in all of this, in that I can't actually see you or what you look like or how you dress, to make sense of those words grin

But I like your words.
I certainly wouldn't use 'elegant' to describe myself.

I think I'd probably go for

scruffy
very casual
... but (relatively) youthful

I certainly don't feel like I look for clothes to reflect my age (mid-50s).

JoyceDivision Sat 14-May-16 21:32:05

casual

basic

androgy... errr.... you know what I mean blush soz... have hit the wine

luckiestgirl Sat 14-May-16 21:35:28

Scruffy, comfortable, young mum

(I THINK that's accurate. For contex, I'm: Scruffy hair/ glasses/ black leggings or blue mum jeans/ loose top often with one shoulder out/ sandals/ all neutral colours).

Doublejeopardy Sat 14-May-16 21:38:49

Elegant (at work at least)
Thought out
Clean lines and few patterns
Layers
Not scruffy

BIWI Sat 14-May-16 21:40:04

shock

Don't confess to mum jeans on S&B! wink

BIWI Sat 14-May-16 21:42:56

I'd love to be elegant, but I've never, ever managed it. Does it come naturally or do you have to work hard to achieve it? Maybe I'm just lazy - it really doesn't bother me/matter to me enough. I suppose, also, I've never worked in companies where that level of 'sophistication' (for want of a better word) has been required.

WipsGlitter Sat 14-May-16 21:45:35

Boring
Lost
Functional

I used to love shopping for clothes. Now I don't have time / energy / enthusiasm. I hate trying stuff on. I buy a lot of Boden and Monsoon.

FarelyKnuts Sat 14-May-16 21:49:33

Androgynous 90s lesbian style.
If you can't guess what I wear from that style description then you ain't no fashionista grin

BIWI Sat 14-May-16 21:55:33

Doc Martens
Dungarees
... erm

grin

(I said I wasn't a fashionista!)

BIWI Sat 14-May-16 21:56:21

Wips - I'm with you. I hate trying stuff on. Especially trousers, for some reason.

YvaineStormhold Sat 14-May-16 21:58:05

Too.
Many.
Clothes.

DameXanaduBramble Sat 14-May-16 21:59:37

Sports luxe.

I may have just been sick in my mouth but it's a fair description.

BIWI Sat 14-May-16 22:01:05

Ha! But what does that even mean?

I know that sports stuff is very trendy right now - is that what you mean? God knows how anyone looks stylish in a track suit though. I'd give Waynetta Slob a good run for her money if I swanned around in one grin

Glitterkitten24 Sat 14-May-16 22:01:46

Minimal - both in style and in no of items I own
Quality over quantity
Clean lines

Lourae Sat 14-May-16 22:03:26

Something
Not
Creased

BIWI Sat 14-May-16 22:03:54

What does 'clean lines' mean? Genuine question - I really don't understand

Donge13 Sat 14-May-16 22:05:32

Bag
Lady
Chic

FarelyKnuts Sat 14-May-16 22:06:11

Ok the dungarees may be going a bit far 😂
But yes doc martens. Plus jeans, skinny ts and men's style shirts. Waistcoat and dicky bow if I'm getting fancy wink

FinallyHere Sat 14-May-16 22:07:01

Well, I know my colouring to be pastel, blue autumn and my style as natural gamin. I know because I've done loads of house of colour stuff.

For me, natural means that i will wear things that are comfortable rather than fashionable. Prefer plain colours with texture, rather than pattern, to add surface interest. Gamin as I'm not the tallest person you have ever seen. I love knowing my style, as i hate shopping so can buy anything that i notice. As long as it fits all my rules, i know it will go with everything in my wardrobe.

Quite like to scrub up well, but that means leather jacket, skinnies and sunnies rather than a frock. Struggle mostly with shoes as i need flats but love what high heels do for my look, not what they do to my back/legs/feet. HTH

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 14-May-16 22:09:14

Stripes, polka dots, leopard print, together, quirky. That sort of thing.,

BIWI Sat 14-May-16 22:09:27

grin @ Donge!

Finally sounds like you really do know your style! Does having your colours done also tell you your style? I've always wanted to have my colours done but thought it was just about colour.

BeauGlacons Sat 14-May-16 22:09:44

Middle aged and boring. Classic.

AllTheDwarves Sat 14-May-16 22:09:47

A thirty-something who wants to shop in the same places she shopped as a twenty-something but her options are growing few and she doesn't know where to go next.

I'm blaming the rise in crop tops. Not my age. Definitely not my age confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now